Panasonic g5 image quality.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by aaronlongphoto, Aug 6, 2013.

1. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    I just recently picked up a g1 on a trade and I fell in love with the egronomics. My other camera is a e-pm2 which being that it shares the same sensor and processer as the e-m5 its IQ is fantastic but its very small in my hands with little buttons .

After shooting with the g1 I'm really considering selling the e-pm2 and picking up a g5

My only concern is after going to different comparrison sites like snapsort and dxomark they gave the g5 60 on its IQ and the e-pm2 a 71.

So my real question is...how much real difference is there between the 2 in terms of IQ.

I shoot mostly automotive photography for magazines and websites. But enjoy macro,nature,and landscapes as a hobby. I don't do a whole lot in low light. I'm hardly ever over 800-1600 iso

I've looked a other peoples pictures with the g5 and I've seen some amazing images.

I would just like some of your Guy's. Opinions.

Thanks
    Aaron

Dedicated Photography

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Obviously, the difference in IQ is 11. :biggrin:

Seriously, IMHO, that difference mainly reflects that the fact that the Olympus' Sony sensor in the E-PM2 has about 1 EV more of dynamic range, and is useful in 1-1.5 stops lower light. IMHO, the differences at ISOs of 800 or less will be extremely small, if even visible at all to you. At ISO 1600, the difference will be somewhat more noticeable, and at ISOs above 1600, they will be more significant. I own a G5, and I feel that the IQ at 800 or lower is perfectly sufficient. I find ISO 1600 to be perfectly useable, but if I look for it, I can certainly see noticeably more noise than at lower ISOs. I try not to shoot the G5 at higher ISOs than 1600 except in a pinch, and knowing the noise above ISO 1600 will clearly be visible - although it might or might not detract from the photo.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Mostly agree.

I had an E-M5 (same sensor as E-PM2) and an E-PL5 (ditto) -- sold them. I now have Panasonics for my system cameras (GH1 and a GH2) and I had a G5 but I like the GH2 controls better. I don't think the low light performance difference between the new Sony sensor and the Panasonic GH2 sensor (in the G5) -- in the cameras I had -- is even a stop.

I happen to like the Panasonic sensors "look" very much. I also have a Fuji X100 for a carry-everywhere and that too is an amazing "older" camera.

Really, people are way too focused on specs, and not focused enough on making photos. The G5 has everything you need to make stunning photos and print easily up to 16x20" and with a little work up to 24x36" (which I do).

If you don't print, never show anything other than internet resolutions you might as well get an iPhone. Seriously, if you don't print large some of these spec battles are simply useless chatter.

Take the G5 and GO MAKE PHOTOS. If you are going to spend money, spend it on LENSES and not cameras!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Don't just focus on the sensor, it's merely one part of the big picture. Pardon the pun.

Anyways the G5 is pretty darn good, especially if you factor in the price.

p.s. I shoot the G5 (and G2).

5. aaronlongphoto

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    I know the camera is just an accessorie to the lens I learned that lesson along time ago.;)

Funny that you responded to this cuz I think I just recently added you to my Flickr contacts because I found your pictures when I searched g5 the avitar looks the same lol.

dedicated photography

6. aaronlongphoto

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    I appreciate the response!

I print alot of stuff big for my personal use. Print big or go home! ;) haha

dedicated photography

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Gosh I guess my photos weren't enough to convince you.

Just kidding. Seriously for $299 bucks the G5 is pretty sweet. Then again... that GX7 is just around the corner.

8. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Therefore, you should totally ignore anyone's sensor rating that boils all of the sensor's attributes down to one number. The dxo numbers you mention are totally useless to anyone who's use doesn't exactly match the balance of low & high ISO and small and large print mix that dxo uses for deciding how much weight to give each of the sensor's attribute.

If you want to use dxo's info as a guide, you need to look at only those attributes that apply to your useage. Neither web nor magazine work need much in the way of sharpness, given the state of today's 12mp+ sensors. Also, ignore performance differences at elevated ISOs.

Concentrate only on the color range and dynamic range at the lowest two ISOs. These are the only two dxo tests that apply to your use.

9. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I went from a Canon 5D to a G5 and was hooked. Image quality is better!
    And to qualify, I've been shooting professionally since 1989 with my share of medium format, 35mm, APS-C and full-frame cameras.

This is terrific in the studio! Face detection is a wonderful feature for portraits, and the eyes are razor sharp. Before, I would have to constantly fiddle with focus points, etc.

My buddy is a studio owner as well, and recently went from a 5D system to the GH3 and loves it as well.

10. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    We are all a bunch of weird gadget freaks. To be freak it means that you are constantly seeking the "best", no matter can you see the difference. It's enough that you know this is THE BEST.

If I may overdo this a bit I'd like to say that every single gadget and lens in MFT ranks between 9 and 9,5 (school grade 4-10 in MFT scale) but we all are speaking like 9 is garbage and 9,5 is THE BEST.

And nobody can see any difference :biggrin:

Features are one thing, depending your needs. Like GH3 is for video, OM-D for available light (high ISO, 5-axis IBIS), some are ridiculously cheap for what they are, who knows GX7 might be more that nice for... and so on. You just have to find you ultimate best, you really can't go more wrong than that grade 9.