1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G5 & GX1 - Good compliment?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kriskerry91, Jul 2, 2015.

1. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Hi guys,

I have the Panasonic G5 and i'm thinking of picking up another cheap secondhand body that is smaller and more compacted. I've seen the reviews and peoples input of the GX1, and although it's fairly old now, it still seems relieable.

I can get the body only in mint condition from an online retailer for just £99 with warrenty (used these guys before, excellent service).

For general use and more professional use (weddings) where I can have the G5 with a 45 1.8 and the GX1 with a 20 1.7, would you consider these to be good compliments to each other?

I'm shooting a wedding in a few months, first time using Micro four Thirds gear as i've come from Canon, and i need another body, even as a back up. I believe these bodies coupled with the above lenses to be more than acceptable. Do you agree?

ps i am the second photographer, not the primary.

2. sootyvrs

sootyvrs Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2015
    David
    Nothing against the GX1 but if you are going to be using both bodies professionally perhaps it would make sense to look for another G5 (handling familiar) which I assume you can pick up pretty cheap also?

If you want a "slightly" more compact camera for other use e.g. travel, street etc.. where you want to be more covert with a camera without a faux prism, then it will be a very good choice and for £99 is a bargain!

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree with the above poster. THe GX1 is a fine camera, but it is really nice to be able to share batteries and control layouts when you are using the cameras for work. I would get another G5 if it is truly for a professional dual camera setup.

Just in general terms, though, yes, the GX1 is a nice camera and would be a fair bit thinner and shorter than the G5 while offering many advanced features.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The GX1 said to the G5 "you've got a really nice EVF" - now that's a compliment!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    As you can see on my signature I have both G5 and GX1 (and now a EM-5).
    I was happy with my G5 but felt the need for a second body to use with my primes and at the same time to serve as a compact travel body for when I want to go out light, that's why I picked up the GX1.
    Like you, I've also found a cheap good deal on a second hand body + 14-42 X lens.
    I can tell you that there's not much difference in the menus from G5 to GX1.
    Both have touch LCD and look very similar in the information displayed and way of working.
    There's a difference on the JPEG engine and on the output colors from each model (G5 have more pleasant warm and vibrant colors, GX1 look more dull), but I can tell you that the output from RAW files are exactly the same, so as I only process RAW there is no problem for me.

If portability is not your goal, I agree with sootyvrs and you may also pick up a second G5 and share the same batteries.

One final note;
    There's one important thing (at least it's important for me) about the GX1 that could make a difference on weddings or similar events: the GX1 buffer processing time it's much better that the one from G5.
    There were several times that I did a lot of sequential shoots with the G5 and then it stops for about 13 seconds until the buffer writes to the card (even with high-end SD cards).
    I never had such problems with the GX1. It features a much better buffer engine. That's one of the reasons it is a premium camera.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Well, it's "complement" not "compliment" (my grammar-nazi shines through!)...

The G5 and GX1 are both rather dated sensors, good in good light but not as good as more recent offerings. Specifically I found the way the GX1 handled colors to be a little frustrating at times, which is typical of the older Panasonic sensors. You can actually find some of the most current sensor tech (GF7, GM1) at really good prices. Heck, the GX7 is more of a full-feature camera which is nevertheless to be found for not much over $300-ish used.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm partial to the GX7, but the E-M5 and E-M10 is in that price range on the used market now, too. E-PL5 and E-PM2 also have a more modern sensor and they are closer to $200 used. Not quite as featured as the GX1 outside of the sensor, though.

8. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

Thanks for the replies guys!

I should mention i dont shoot weddings professionally (anymore) but i get the odd one here and there that have had me recommended to shoot there wedding.

The GX1 would be more of a backup body if the G5 for some reason fails when it comes to professional use. But i would mostly be using for a got to/take anywhere body due to its smaller size and look (mainly street shooting).

@jrsilva@jrsilva thankyou for that final part about the buffer, very interesting and useful thing to know. Surprising that the older camera handles a quicker buffer time!

And i think the hot UK weather is getting to me, my spelling is off! @agentlossing@agentlossing

9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    No worries ;)

I've heard the UK weather is miserable, here on the west coast of USA the weather has calmed down, it was rather ridiculous last week (Portland was 99 degrees, almost unheard of).

10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Believe me, there is a great difference in buffer.
    The GX1 never let me down, but with the G5 I had miss a bunch of photos several times because it freezes writing to the card if you take 7 or 8 shoots in a quick sequence (not burst mode, but single shoot).
    Even a bit more older than the G5, the GX1 is more powerful on that field because it was a premium camera.

11. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I bought a GX1 as a backup to my GX7, and I really can't tell much of a difference between the two in terms of photos -- I also only shoot RAW, and so it was interesting to read the above. I *do* wish my backup, cute as it is, shared the same battery as my main camera, but I generally just shoot with one or the other rather than carry both to the same shoot, so I've been able to live with that oversight.

12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Interesting. I picked up a GX7 to upgrade from my GX1, and I notice a fairly significant difference in the RAW files. I love the GX1, and still use it as my small kit when paired to the P14, but to my eye, the GX7 has noticeably better DR and cleaner files in low light (actually, cleaner files in general), and this is shooting just RAW.

• Like Like x 1
  13. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If you get the occasional call to be a primary than the GX1 would NOT be my choice. A backup has to be at least as capable as the primary, I don't think the GX1 fits that criteria. I don't think you need to get another G5, but you can't use an EVF and external flash at the same time with the GX1. That alone would rule it out for me as a backup. Could it be a backup for a second shooter? Maybe, but far from my first option. I'd probably see if the primary had another body I could use first.

But would the GX1 be a good complement to the G5, yes. Being a complement and being a replacement are not the same. The G5 with the 45 (I'd actually like something a little longer) and the GX1 with the 20 would be a nice candid, quick grab combo. The fact that they are the same sensor is also a nice plus.

14. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    +1 for the GX7!

15. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

I will echo most others opinion regarding using the same body as backup. I would even recommend making sure both bodies have the exact settings as well. Shooting a wedding is hectic; keeping it as simple as possible works best.