Panasonic G5 gets grip, new processing

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dhazeghi, Jul 17, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Via 43rumors, images of the soon to-be-announced Panasonic G5 have been leaked. They seem to have abandoned the G3's miniature grip for a full-sized one.

Not a lot of other details, but the sensor is expected to be the same as the one in the G3, but with updated processing.

EDIT: A Russian press release has a lot more of the details.

-920k LCD (w/touch AF)
    -EVF w/autoswitch
    -1080p50 video

Also, regarding the 45-150, it weighs 200g and is 73mm long.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  2. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    That grip is massive, for the size of the camera. It makes it look very lopsided, almost into NEX territory. It does look a bit better ergonomically, though I'd like to have seen two control dials. Maybe I'm alone on that front, as pretty much only the OM-D has that. Perhaps the nubbin thing behind the shutter button will do something interesting? Don't think I've ever seen anything like that before, I can't really imagine what it'll do.

At least if this body isn't that interesting, it should drive the bargainous G3 even further down in price.

3. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Strange that with such a pronounced front grip they offer no front control dial...

4. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Bargainous. I like that word. :smile:

Ergonomically, I expect the larger grip will actually be quite helpful. Aesthetically not so much. If only it were removable...

DH

5. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    As I said, there's an interesting looking nubbin just behind the shutter release. I don't know why they didn't just put a dial there. I don't want to have to use one dial and click it in and out to change the function and forget which function it's on. Bleh.

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Some have hypothesized that the nub could be a power zoom toggle..makes more sense than having to use the toggle on the lens for video.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    As for the new G5 body it seems a lot more practical. I love the G1 grip and this one looks just as good if not better. Not a terribly attractive camera, but looks to be a good value and highly functional. I also welcome the return of the eye sensor and hopefully a bigger battery. This is what the G3 should have been in the first place imho. I found it abit of an odd beast with its compact camera design with the big hump on top.

I think the street price will have to settle around half the OM-D price to make it attractive..at the 700$ MSRP I think I'd move up to the OM-D for the sensor/weathersealing/grip options/IBIS.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. My cameras are tools. I buy tools for function, not looks. I think a pair of G5s will eventually replace my G1s, which I have kept primarily because of the very good grip. The better low light performance is attractive.

Too bad, though, that the selector for motor drive, self-timer mode, etc. is not under the control knob any more. I use that one often enough that I don't want to dig in the menus to make the selection.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Now you need to move up the GH2 (and presumably the pending GH3) to get a full set of mechanical controls.

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    At $700, you're looking at adding $600 to get the sensor, weather sealing, IBIS, and grip. That's quite a premium; worth it for some, but not for others.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The G5 looks awesome! This will be a nice upgrade to the G3. And the new grip looks like it will handle the camera very nicely. This model will sell very well.

Can't wait to hear about the GH3 and LX7.

• Like Like x 3
  12. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    True. Sorry, in my head I was thinking grip option..so more like a 300 dollar jump. Still not an insignificant amount of money.

13. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    You did say grip option. But if one concludes the grip is essential, the extra $300 is a given until and unless some reasonably priced third-party options emerge.

14. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    More specs at 43rumors.

920k touchscreen seems to be the new standard. 6 fps is good too.

There's a Russian press release with a lot of interesting info too.

DH

• Like Like x 2
  15. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Damn! It's all what I wanted as a replacement to my G1, now I have no excuse. To be honest I was almost getting a G3 but the lack of a real grip was keeping me out. Now just wait a little more. :rolleyes:

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The G5 looks nice. As I mentioned back when the first images were leaked a few months ago... it kind of looks like a Leica S2 when viewed from the front. I'm not sure what the MSRP will be, but that's really not an issue for me. Since I own both a G3 and a GX1, I could wait until the price eventually fell or if a deal was offered by Panasonic Direct. But that larger grip would be great for use with a Panny 100-300 or 14-140.

17. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Looks way too much like a mini-Dslr to me. I consider both form and function to be important. It was the retro look of the E-P1 as much as size that attracted me to :43:. I honestly don't care how good this camera might be - I couldn't buy one. Great for those who see cameras as mere tools, but heck, I even have a nice looking hammer. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  18. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hmm I wonder if they've managed to switch over to capacitive touchscreens. It's rather silly to use those resistive screens.

19. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    The resistive touchscreens are quite responsive, and you can use them with gloves. Plus they're better at ignoring accidental grazes etc. I love capacitive touchscreens on phones etc, but I think resistive screens are the way to go for cameras.

So I can zoom with the touchscreen, or zoom with the lens ring, or zoom with the nub? I don't think I'd ever want to do the latter tbh. For me, a zoom nub only makes sense on a compact camera, where there is no room for a proper zoom ring or lever. I'd be really disappointed if that's all it turns out to be.

20. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Looking forward to reading the reviews...I guess I'm only interested in new cameras when they have a new sensor...or new...something.

I happen to think it's a nice looking camera...but it's no em5, that's for sure.