Panasonic G5 anyone?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bwidjaja, Nov 1, 2012.

1. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Seems like Panny G5 had an untimely release right before OMD, and then Photokina. However, can anyone shed some light on recent experience with G5? How is it compared to OMD, IQ wise?

I currently have GH1 and E-PM1 and thinking of upgrading my trusty GH1 for the longer lenses. I would seriously consider E-PL5 or E-PM2 if I did not have E-PM1, but I really want to have built in EVF. Though, OMD is too expensive for me at the moment.

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I've had mine since they came out and I'm really pleased with it in all respects, it's certainly a camera I would recommend.
    It's a versatile camera with good ergonomics, excellent IQ, excellent EVF and screen and good all round build.

3. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    I believe the G5 came out a while after the EM5. I know when I was looking at cameras I chose between the EM5 and the G3 and went with the G3 for the price. Both should be outstanding cameras however.
  4. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Iirc the G5 is like a refined GH2, but without the advanced video recording settings / capabilities.

I love my GH2 so I assume the G5 will be just as good if not better for images. I love the mini DSLR form factor, its very ergonomic.
  5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    When they were offering the 12-35/2.8 for $900 with selected Panasonic bodies I decided to replace my GX1 with a G5. I have to tell you that I like it quite a lot - actually, I have no complaints about it at all. The OM-D still, *for me,* is my first choice, but both coexist happily in my bag and I think there are good reasons to own both Ford and Chevy.
  6. dwrk

dwrk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2012
    i went for G5 over OMD/E-PL5.

prefer the form factor...ergonomics much better without having to pay for add on grip..

wanted out goes the e-pl5...or look at it this way for the same price with e-pl5 i get an evf with the G5...

built in flash...more flexible lcd (i had mine turned inwards)...

no active omd ibis...less moving parts more reliable...just me...

under normal use i think the iq is more or less the same...different colors as you know...but i am very happy with my G5...much better than expected...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Panasonic G5 worth buying ?

I had an EM5, sold it, still have GH2 and now G5. G5 image quality is between GH2 and EM5. Ergonomics, that is, holding, viewing, operating I find slightly more user friendly than either EM5 or GH2. Much better ergonomics than the G3. Performance is just fine. It's small, light and less expensive than EM5 (especially with HLD-6 handle) or forthcoming GH3. Setting up is a bit long winded, like the GH2, but less puzzling than the EM5. It might not be ringing loud bells in the blogosphere but the G5 is a quiet achiever and an easy recommendation for anyone wanting a M43 cam with built in EVF.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. gtbarnes

gtbarnes Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2012
    San Diego, California
    Gary Barnes
    That's good to hear! I'm in a similar boat--I have the OMD w/ grip right now, but I'm not a big fan of the ergonomics in either config. The video bitrate is also too low for my needs, though I love the stills it produces (and use it as my main camera now for my photo jobs).

That being said, I've got a used G5 coming in the mail next week. I keep getting hired to shoot performances that would really benefit from the electronic shutter option, and if I end up enjoying it, my current plan is to sell the OMD, keep the G5, and pick up an NEX-6 to use in weird situations where both the G5 and OMD image quality falls short (ex. long exposure night photography where, from past experience, the DR of Sony's current APS-C 16mp sensor really shines).