1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G5 Announced

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Luckypenguin, Jul 18, 2012.

1. 7597672724_a07192bea4_o.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

Hands-on: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 review - Pocket-lint

Panasonic G5 review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Digital slrs/hybrids

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews

Panasonic just went nuts with a whole bunch of new model releases, one of them being the new G5, apparently with a new 16MP sensor as well. Techradar's review is most comprehensive of these three. I think they stuffed up the chart for jpeg dynamic range (see Page 5), but the raw chart seems to reveal a big jump in DR at low ISOs (yay!). Optional electronic shutter is also a new feature.

• Like Like x 2
  2. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Just read a preview at Cameralabs.com and it seems a vey compelling camera.

3. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    This update is a lotttt more than originally anticipated!

All rumors pointed towards it having the same G3 sensor, but instead it has an improved one seemingly based on the GH2's technology.

So lets count some of the imrpovements:

1) Return of the EVF proximity sensor

2) Larger, more comfortable hand grip at nary a size expense.

3) Higher Res LCD(920k dots vs 460k)

4) Programmable Function Lever, can be used for powerzoom or exposure compensation/aperture changes). Essentially like having a second dial.

5) 1 additional programmable function button, AF/AE button, better button placement

6) More clicky buttons with better build

7) 9 more Art modes, if you're into that type of thing

8) 6fps at full res, vs 4fps. 3.7 fps with continuous AF

9) Can continue to shoot and access menus with a full buffer

10) Control the AF point using the touchscreen as touchpad while using EVF! Seems super useful.

11) 1080p60, at 28mbps! Real slow-mo footage possible.

12) Improved battery life rating(320 vs 270, uses GH2 battery)

13) New, Multi-aspect-ratio sensor(This might not seem significant, but is actually very useful when shooting in aspect ratios other than 4:3, particularly for wide-angle lenses.). 18.3 total megapixels vs 16.8. On-chip processing.

14) Iso 12,800

15) 3 frame HDR mode

16) Full-res, Electronic, silent shutter.

17) Level gauge

18) Reduced screen lag, I believe 18% according to panny

19) Since the G5 seems to actually be using an improved version of the GH2 sensor rather than the G3 one, due to it's analag-to-digital conversion and multi-aspect nature, I'm going to assume that it has a dynamic range at least on par with the GH2. While not up there with the OM-D, it's still about a stop better than the G3 was, and perhaps the G5 is improved even from the Gh2.

20) Unconfirmed, because I haven't seen any other mention of it but according to at least one reputable source, full manual control in video mode.

""The G5 shoots 1080p high-def video at 60p in the AVCHD 2.0 format, as well as 1080/30p video in MP4 format. Several lower-res modes are available as well. Full manual video controls are available, including PASM modes. There’s a dedicated movie record button on the top panel of the camera."

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...rst-Impressions-Review/Modes.htm#.UAZ76bSe6uJ

These are just things I can remember from reading impressions so far.

I am very happy with this update. We got a lot more than we originally thought. I did not expect to be interested in this cam, but alas, I am.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I like this camera! Sure looks like I'll be replacing my G3 with this! :smile: Won't be ditching my E-M5, but will use these two alternately. I've always liked how Pany does things with their m4/3 gear and the G5 will no doubt be very popular and successful. Paired with the 12-35/2.8, 7-14, 25/1.4, and forthcoming 35-100/2.8... this will be an awesome travel camera.

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    With all these features, isn't it already a GH? This now seems to be the camera I'm waiting for, more than expected, and I'm going to have it next year!

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Very compelling indeed! It is no doubt a great year for the m4/3 format. Great for the system, but really bad for my wallet!

Now, let's see how Olympus answer with their new PENs...

• Like Like x 2
  7. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    let's see how Olympus answer with their new PENs...

I'd guess the new PENs are already in the pipeline regardless of the G5. What might be interesting to speculate, is that now the G5 seems to have pulled the G range up a level (comparable to GH2), what will the GH3 give us ? Weather sealed maybe ?

Am looking forward to images and experience from the early adopters of the G5 anyway, certainly looks a step in the right direction after the G3 going the wrong way.

8. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    While I wouldn't say the G3 went the wrong way on the whole, the G5 definitely seems to attempt to perfect the balance between ergonomics and size(imo it's the almost ideal compromize of size and ergonimcs. The OM-D is ideal in that aspect for me, because of grip options).

I will update my long feature post with another major one, which I'm now trying to confirm. Apparently the G5 also has full manual video control. If this is true, the the GH3 REALLY has to step up it's game to differentiate itself, and be a worthwhile upgrade over the G5. Weather sealing(which it will almost definitely have) and a couple more dials are not enough.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/co...rst-Impressions-Review/Modes.htm#.UAZ76bSe6uJ

9. Wow, I didn't even notice the multi aspect sensor. Looking at the G5 specs more closely, if I could have dreamed up a replacement for my GH1, it would have been very close to this.

10. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    No weather sealing or IBIS, G3 would be a bargain buy or I'd pick the OM-D over this...sorry Panasonic.

11. napilopez

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Unfortunately, the Multi-aspect part now seems to be iffy. Other and I made that claim because DPReview stated resolutions for the sensor that suggested it being multi-aspect. However, Panasonic lists different resolutions which are just crops from the 4:3 image....

But then get this: the total number of pixels(18.31) is exactly the same as that of the GH2. As is the listed effective number of pixels(16.05). This is both true for DPreview's specs and Panny's.

So then why would panasonic remove the multi-aspect functionality from the firmware?

My only guesses are:

1) They use the extra pixels for some form of digital image stabilization. Seems like a stupid reason to me.

2) The G5 has a 4:3 viewfinder instead of the multi-aspect one in the GH2. Another stupid reason.

Here's to hoping that someone made a mistake, or that this is somehow adjustable in the menus.

12. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    DPreview have a list of resolutions that the new camera is capable of, and it's the exact same list as the GH2. It's the same multi-aspect sensor with updated processing! I see no reason why DPreview would be stating these specs unless the pre-production unit they received was capable of achieving them.

The eye sensor is a massive boon. While I'd prefer a second dial to a nubbin, I've convinced myself that I'd use it for exposure compensation, while the dial would be used for aperture control. Lovely. This is a genuine competitor to the OM-D now, if not in style terms then in capabilities. The Olympus has the better sensor, dual dials and terrific OIS, but the Panny has a bigger grip and articulating screen. If it's cheap enough, buying it may be a no-brainer for me. Might want to wait for the inevitable price drop though.

13. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Electronic shutter

Just skimming a few of the reviews and they mention an electronic (silent) shutter option. Is the the first on a m43, and what might be any downsides to using it in this mode ?

14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    This is a very interesting camera, but I've got to see this in action. It sounds like your nose might be picking your AF point for you.

16. A few of the reviews mention this exact issue! The feature can be turned off, or the screen can be flipped out to the side to prevent it.

17. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Sounds like a fun feature, although it probably necessitates framing shots with your right eye, which would be unnatural for me.

Yes, but you're a bit odd tbh.

The shutter 'curtain' of a CMOS sensor isn't as quick as a actual sensor. Google 'rolling shutter' to see what I mean. However, if it's good enough to shoot video on, it should be good enough to shoot stills with in most circumstances. I believe the Nikon 1 series cameras already have this feature, and tbh I don't see why all modern cameras don't have the option.

18. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I can't imagine using this feature other way than that.

BTW If it's really a multi aspect sensor I'd have everything I wanted in a m4/3 camera body and I'll get in asap.

19. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    Looks very good to me. It's already listing here at £699 with the non-power kit zoom. I'm tempted to order one with a 12-35/2.8.

Mind you, I just checked and a Sony A77+16-50/2.8 is only £1,399 here whereas the G5+2.8 zoom is going to be £1,628. Hmmm...

20. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Must admit, I'm surprised...this is much more of an upgrade than what i thought it would be. This really is quite a feature rich camera that I imagine is going to make quite a number of people very happy indeed.

FWIW....given the apparent sensor improvements, I wouldn't go so far as to say the EM5 is a MUCH better camera at all, even though I do believe that the Oly is in many ways the m43 benchmark camera....and at about half the price !!!

For a camera line that is essentially Panasonics second tier I admit to now being intrigued what Panasonic will unleash in their answer to the EM5 at Photokinia with the GH3...which always was it's primo m43 unit.

Am I the only one who feels that given what they have put into the G5 ...the GH3 is going to be something pretty darn good ?

• Like Like x 3