panasonic g3.

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by manta63, Jul 26, 2012.

1. manta63

manta63 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2012
    Hello i am an absolute beginner and i would appreciate some advice on lenses. I recently purchased a Panasonic g3 with a 14-42 and a 45-200mm telephoto. Need some help with additional lens purchase.

Appreciate any help, best regards. manat63.
  2. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    That is a good start. Lens will depend on what you want to shoot. You might want to add a 20mm pancake.
  3. rgeorge911

rgeorge911 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012

I agree, you have a very good start. The 45-200 is a great lens. And, I agree that you may want the 20mm f1.7.

If you're interested, I run a daily blog focused on Lumix photography, and use the G3 as my standard camera body. In fact, I have written an eBook, posted on the blog (free download), which goes through all of the important settings on the G3, and explains how and why I set each one the way I do.

I hope that's helpful.

The eBook can be found at:

DMC-365 - My Year with Lumix Camera Equipment: Final Two Chapters of My Free G3 Settings eBook Available For Download! Get the Whole eBook Here, Free!

My Lumix Blog:
  4. manta63

manta63 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2012
    Thank you for your advice.

Best regards

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    As others suggested, the lenses to buy really depend on what you want to use the camera for. The 20mm f/1.7 is great for indoor use without flash (as is the 25mm f/1.4). But not much good for wildlife or birding. A 100-300 might be great for wildlife, but not much use indoors. Do you wish you had something wider than your 14-42? You might want to look at the Oly 9-18 or the Panasonic 7-14.

My actual advice: Wait. Shoot with the lenses you have for a while, learn to see with them, and also learn what you can't do with them. Then you'll have a better idea what, if anything, to buy next.
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome! Many folks like to add a pancake lens for walking around (it makes the camera easier to fit in a coat pocket, fanny pack or small bag. There are several to choose from, the most popular being the Panasonic 14 & 20mm lenses. The 20 is a fast lens and is very useful in lower light situations such as indoors. You might also consider a lens with macro capabilities if you enjoy closeup shots. Finally, there are legacy lenses that can be purchased on EBay or at garage sales which can be used with inexpensive adapters. This is a great way to obtain a macro lens at lower cost since they will be manual focus and that's usually the best way to shoot macro. :biggrin:
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    This. Until you know what you're missing (low light capability, shallow DoF for subject isolation, wide FOV, superzoom, portrait lens) it's going to be really hard to figure out what lenses are worth spending the money on.

You may also find it helpful to peruse the image threads in the native lens sample image archive here and see if there's results from particular lenses that really grab you. For example, I didn't think I wanted an ultra-wide until I saw how many shots with the 7-14mm and 9-18mm I really liked, so I eventually picked up one of my own.

All that said, a fast prime lens is one thing you're definitely missing, and I can't imagine regretting having at least one in a focal length you prefer. Generally I recommend the 20mm f/1.7 or 25mm f/1.4 because they're both close to a comfortable "normal" field of view and offer a large aperture for all the benefits in low light or shallow DoF shots.
  8. manta63

manta63 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2012

Thank you all for your advice. I am interested in picking up a decent legacy macro lens for insects with adapter. Does anybody have any advice.

Best regards

9. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    i do not do macro; but will suggest you explore with the zooms to see what/ which FL you like
    before you buy a fixed FL/ prime lens.