Panasonic G3 or GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Walternate, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Walternate

Walternate New to Mu-43

Nov 20, 2011
    I'm interested to know why the GH2 costs more than the G3 and what the main differences are.

As for image quality- which would be better.

Also- what is the best zoom lens available, and the best prime lenses.

2. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    G3 images are comparible to the GH2 in every way,,.. Heres a great review Panasonic G3 Review

As far as best lens hmm.. the most versatile zoom lens IMO would be the 14-140.. 14-45 is a great little kit lens. For primes, you have some good choices.. try the 20mm you wont be disapointed it's a really good lens. There is the 45mm f1.8, 25mm f1.4, 14mm f2.5 17mm f2.8 etc what suits your style?

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    More buttons. Better built. Multi-aspect sensor. Arguably better ergonomics. Manual video options. Higher video output options. Has auto-sensing EVF/LCD.

IQ is almost a wash, though I think some were saying you get an edge in dynamic range on the GH2 (and it's a small edge compared to say, jumping to a good APS-C system).

I'm sure I'm forgetting something..

Primes: basically all of them are pretty good. Not too fond of the 17/2.8 though, I think it could have been better, but it's dirt cheap relatively, so you can't really lose. Just depends on your needs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If you do video GH2, stills G3

• Like Like x 2
  5. James Pilcher

James Pilcher Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Colorful Colorado
    Best primes

The Zuiko 12mm f/2, Leica 25mm f/1.4, and Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 have impeccable image quality. I cannot imagine a better set.

Some people go for the 14mm, 20mm, 45mm trio and have no complaints. I wanted the utmost speed, so I went with the 12mm and 25mm.

Reports vary on the Zuiko 17mm. Of course, the Nokton is manual operation only, so it's off my radar.

Jim

6. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    just to add...

G3 is also smaller than the GH2, not my much, but it's also maybe a factor to consider.

7. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you don't know which is better for you, then the lower model is always the better choice. Less random features that will get in a new user's way. Get yourself the G3, and don't think twice. Spend the difference in price on other cool lenses, like a 20mm and a 45-200mm.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Well, you can't just generalize like that, saying that the lower model is always the better choice. What you may consider random feature (better video capability, auto-sensor to switch between EVF & LCD, etc) may be important to some people. They may have just have to see if they need this or that, once they say all the available options on both units.

That's like saying the Nikon D7000 is always the better option vs. the D700. Different cameras for different needs and budget

9. TonyB

TonyB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2010
    Not quite....

The GH2 has a stop better dynamic range at base ISO if you believe DXOmark, it also has a true multi-aspect sensor which matters a lot if you like to use different aspect ratio's. The only reason to choose the G3 over the GH2 is size, the GH2 has a lot of other functionality that the G3 doesn't have, including external controls, evf auto-switching, custom settings etc etc.

10. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011

Ahh DXOmark yes.. Lol.. based on my research when debating between the two the g3 stacks up nicely.. some say GH2 has the advantage in RAW image captures with the G3 being very close. While others say the JPEG processing in the G3 is much better in terms of color, sharpness and noise reduction. Ultimately I decided to go G3 being that I rarely record video, save some cash for glass and the fact that I was not concerned with such a marginal difference in still captures. Also reasons to consider the G3, as opposed to just size.

OP: I would also recommend visiting a local camera shop and handling the two, another reason I chose the G3 was I like the way it handled. Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I never get why people imply that the GH2 is somehow of interest only to video shooters...

Bar price and jpeg rendering (both fair enough if it's important to the user), the GH2 is better in every way - for stills - than the G3...

12. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Because for stills I prefer small, compact and light body. If I need big body with good grip and ergonomics I would buy semi-pro DSLR :wink: From my point of view GH2 is just too big for m4/3 and that is why it make sense only for video recording :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, I should have been more clear that the G3 takes the edge based on price. For the same money, G3+fast lens will beat GH2+kit zoom easily.

14. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    G3 is nice...but...

I have had my G3 for almost two weeks now. No complaints on image quality or features. I got it to do video as well, and from my untrained eye is seems to handle the video quite well.

My issue with this camera is size and controls. Its a little hard to hold the camera sometimes because of the grip and size of the camera being small. I find myself accidently pressing the button contrls on the back when griping the camera, especially when using the view finder instead of the LCD. Anyone else have this issue? I am seriously considering getting the GH2 instead just to give me a better feel in hand.

• Like Like x 1
  15. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I have both the G3 and GH2, and I find (like Z-Man) that the grip is very small on the G3 when compared to the GH2. I also hit buttons by mistake.. sometimes ruining shots.

I may trade or sell the G3 body.. but the IQ is sooo nice.

• Like Like x 1
  16. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

a few weeks ago, I decided to upgrade my kit fro a G1 to a GH2.
    Main reason : ergonomics !
    And I have not regretted my choice one moment yet !

Shooting almost exclusively stills (RAW), very little video so far, but I do intend to look closer into that later this year !

C U
    Rafael

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I find when I have the heavy 4/3 Leica D 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 on the camera, I hit the ISO button A LOT.

What I did is change how I hold the camera with big lenses, making my left hand on the lens primary, and bringing up my right hand to shoot. Much better.

18. Z-man

Z-man Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    After looking at the GH2 again this morning, i was tempted to switch, but something tells me that they will be having a GH3 in the next 6 months, so I am holding off. I guess I will just need to get used to the G3 more. It would be nice to have a lock button so you couldn't press the buttons by accident.

19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I can generalize like that, because 90% of people with cameras in their hands jumped straight to the top of the pile, and are wasting their money on a camera that is more than they can handle. This in turn leads them to focus on handling the camera more than enjoying photography.

If someone is debating between the D700 and D7000, and they have to ask the question to someone else because they don't understand the vast differences between the two models, then the actual best camera for them is the D5100 or D3100. I came from years of film experience, had a formal education in photography, had worked as a photographer for a newspaper shooting early Canon digital cameras, and when I finally bought a personal DSLR, I got the D40 when it was released, because it sounded like the features would fit the bill. It still took me months to be completely comfortable with the camera. Soon after, there was a price mistake at a local store, which caused the D80 to be half off, so I jumped on that, and that camera is so much more intimidating to new users, that it will take them much longer to get the hang of photography. A year ago, I stumbled onto a great deal for a D200, from someone that had a broken body and gave it to me for the price of Nikon's repair estimate (which selling my D80 on Craigslist more than covered), and if I gave this to any of my casual photographer friends or my still-using-film-SLR father, they wouldn't be able to comfortably work their way around it. Whereas, I gave my D40 to my non-photographer cousin, and he was understanding aperture and shutter speed within the hour.

20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I can't believe you sold it for what you did... would have loved it for that price as a second body