Panasonic G3 " One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Made In Yorkshire, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Made In Yorkshire

Made In Yorkshire New to Mu-43

Jun 15, 2011
    Leeds
    In the past I have always been able to fall sleep very very easily, sometimes as soon as my head virtually hits the pillow, sometimes because of working too hard, sometimes because of too much beer and sometimes after you know what, this now though as all suddenly changed due entirely to my wife surprisingly asking me to get her a new camera for her birthday.

My knowledge of cameras and photography you could write on the back of a postage stamp and still have some space left.

OK I thought straight onto the internet and lets do some research, this shouldn’t take me long (how foolishly wrong I could be!) and for some reason Panasonic came to mind and within minutes I was reading the rave reviews and watching excellent promotional videos about the new Panasonic G3.

Eureka I thought, Panasonic G3 with the 14-42mm kit lense, well that was relatively easy and I was well pleased with both my choice and with myself.

I had looked at this forum’s threads regarding the Panasonic G3 finding them both very helpful, informative and also very surprisingly very interesting too, so without hesitation I pre ordered the G3 with the 14-42mm kit lense here in the UK.

So what’s your bloody problem then Englander I hear you say!!

My problem now is as I have become more and more interested and reading more and more of the many different threads that I have discovered more and bloody more information out and as my little head hit the pillow last night at around 11:30 PM I did not fall asleep as usual but in fact some two and half hours later I found myself still wide awake with a wasps nest inside my head and thinking about this bloody lot:

1. Hmmm maybe after all I should cancel the 14-42mm kit lense and buy the G3 body only and then buy the more slightly superior and more expensive 14-45mm lense

2. Or how about a pancake lense, or a fisheye lense, or a standard zoom lense, or telephoto zoom lense, or a prime lense, or a 3D lense, or a wide angle zoom lense, a native lense or an adapted lense.

3. A neck strap or a wrist strap, a large camera bag, or a medium camera bag, or small camera bag, a shoulder bag or a back pack and then what make of bag.

4. JPEG or RAW software and hardware, talk about confused .com

5. Protective UV filter, polarizing filter, neutral density filter and even a coffee filter, which 3’’ screen protector.

6. SD card or SDHC card, class 4, class 6 or class 10, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB or even 48GB.

Then this morning the wife asked me if I had slept well because she said I looked a little tired and worried.

MEDICATION TIME ME THINKS!!!

Talk about a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.

Will sleep well tonight though all is ordered and hopefully now all finally sorted out.

Dave

• Like Like x 2
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G'day Englander. Well you're off to a good start, a fair few of us want the G3.

If all you print is 4x6 photos and it's your wife camera I wouldn't worry about the 14-45mm lens. I own it and it's good but I wouldn't say it's $350 better than the 14-42mm.

Nah you don't need the fisheye either. But If it were me and my camera I get the 20mm. Jolly good lens that.

I'd leave the bag decision to your wife. Women tend to have their own bag tastes.

Shoot Jpeg unless you love to fiddle on the computer. I shoot raw mainly because i love to fiddle and it does help to draw out the best in an image but Jpeg in your scenario would be fine.

Coffee filter, nah. But a Standar UV filter helps against the accidental bumps. Screen protector. Yep, good idea. I bought a heap of iphone screen protectors on ebay and then just cut it to shape.

4 or 8GB card, class III is all you need.

Now have a good sleep! :smile:

Cu you round

icon

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    You Brits- lol
    Assuming your wife is as photographically proficient as yourself ...

1) Stick with the Kit lens for now ... upgrade later if merited (this is a tough call);
    2) See #1 above;
    3) The camera comes with a strap ... let the wife pick accessories;
    4) Camera comes with software ... Something better than what's in the kit ... if you have a MAC get Aperture if PC then Lightroom;
    5) Yes to the protective UV filter. Purchase a middle grade filter. No coffee filter, French Press is the way to go. Any screen protector ... don't think there is much difference in screen protectors ...
    6) Fastest card you can afford ... if your wife plans to take videos then something quite large ... mmmhh ... a 16 ... need some help on this one. You cannot go terribly wrong with memory, if you purchase something that is less than optimum it can be used as a back-up later.

Take your meds with a single malt scotch or a tall glass of California Pinot Noir.

The wife should be tickled pink just with the camera ... everything else can and will be sorted out over time.

G

• Like Like x 1
  4. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    I have to second Gary's suggestions.

Especially the last one about pharmacology.

-Steve

5. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

"Which one of you nuts has got any guts?" "Medication time! Medication time!" :smile:

Anyway, as icon said. Maybe just, if you're planning to take any videos or use continuous shooting, I would take at least class 6 card. I found one 8GB and one 16GB card quite ideal for most of my trips.

6. dfroelich

dfroelich Mu-43 Regular

Nov 15, 2010
    I have a GF1 (12MP vs 16 for the G3) and got a $20 8gb class 10 sd that holds ~500 RAW images. With the more pixel packed sensor, you'd still store about 350 shots, and if you decide to stick with jpeg, way more.

7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    What are you thinking!!!! Don't worry about getting the kit lens. She will love the camera and you will have set up your gifts for the next few years with birthdays, Christmas, and anniversaries. Just buy her a new lens for each event!

8. Hmm, you know Dave, I'm wondering in the midst of your excitement whether the wife will actually be the one using this camera???

9. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Psssst.....when you'll get more experience from married life, you'll find out, that your wife will always appreciate presents like cameras, lens, notebooks, hifi the most...as long as you'll be able to convince her, that it's absolutely needed for taking nice family pictures, editing those pictures, teaching kid a good taste in music etc etc :smile:

10. I figured I'd just hoard as much as I could before marriage.

11. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Trying to sell yourself as a package deal? Careful, cause she'll want a warranty as well!