1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G3 is Near - Leaked Photos a Hoax?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 11, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    5712010486_b6dc18c96f_o.

With many sources now confirming that the Panasonic G3 will be officially announced tomorrow, there is widespread interest in what changes the G3 will bring to the Panasonic Lumix G lineup.

43Rumors has published what they believe to be the first leaked images of the G3 along with pricing and specifications. However, according to one of our members who attended the press conference tonight, the leaked image is a hoax, and the pricing is inaccurate. More info coming as we get it!

Rumor Grade of Evidence: B

A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible

5/12/11 Update: Our source was wrong, and the image published by 43 Rumors was legit.

I would also like to clarify my intentions: I was not accusing 43 Rumors of knowingly publishing a hoax. I was suggesting, based on what I believed to be a reliable source (from forum and personal correspondence), that the image which had been sent to 43 Rumors was a hoax.

I respect 43 Rumors and their admin. Again, we had it wrong, they had it right, and there was nothing personal intended.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Didn't 43rumors actually get it mostly right??

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Looks like the photo was indeed real. Pricing was inaccurate though.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Only by $50 I think (didn't 43r say $649, and it's $699). Or maybe I'm mis-remembering.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Since it has been stated in another thread that it was "bad form" to call another website" wrong, I'll also respond here.

This post does not accuse 43Rumors of knowingly publishing a hoax picture. It questions (see question mark in title), based on a source whom I thought was fairly reliable (Grade B), whether they were sent a fake picture and unknowingly published it.

You are recall correctly, and our member did not say how inaccurate their source's pricing was, only that it was inaccurate.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That member also said "What I can tell you for certain is that the photo and description that 4/3 Rumors has is not the real thing" which was flat-out wrong.

The price was only off by 7%. Pretty darn good, IMO.

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    43Rumors is, well, a rumors site. He knows his data is sometimes suspect and overall I believe does a pretty good job of flagging it as such. In this case he had a good picture and bad pricing. I am more interested in features.

As for pricing I have seen retail prices sometimes higher than reported prices on items they think might be hot sellers. The Asus Android tablet was reported everywhere to be $400 yet when I saw it at Best Buy it was $450.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There is no question about it that Wasabi Bob was mostly wrong.

Here's a clarification of my intent:

I like rumors, I like 43Rumors as well as other rumor sites, and I also enjoy publishing rumors.

1. If I find info which I think is likely reliable that other rumor sites don't have, I'll publish it.
    2. If I find info which I think is likely reliable and validates info from other rumor sites, I'll publish it.
    3. If I find info which I think is likely reliable and contradict their info, I'll publish that too.
    My reliability threshold for publishing info of the 3rd type (contradicting another rumor site's info) is relatively higher than it is for the other two types. In this case, I thought our info was reliable and of interest. Sometimes we'll be wrong, just like any other site that publishes rumors. This was one of those times.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Alow me to clarify

By wrong I meant:
    The price
    The photo was not that of the actual unit. The actual unit is identified by a "G" - not "G3" as shown.
    The body is not a beef'd up GF camera - it's actually a very slimmed down G2. More rounded and an overall slimmer look.

4/3 Rumors is based largely on speculation.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Bob, the unit shown is identified by a "G" just like the actual unit. It is clearly a picture of the actual camera.

11. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    ???? The leaked photo (jump to top of thread to see it) showed a correctly labeled 'G' only camera, of the expected shape. Now to describe the design as close to the GF-2 is more a matter of taste, but the hand grip sure doesn't look like previous ones on G bodies and is closer to a compact form.

[edit] (removed because a satisfactory explanation was posted elsewhere) [/edit]

Cheers,

12. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Just to say that one thing they did get wrong and consistently wrong over a period of time was that the new 25mm f1.4 would not be a collaboration with Leica as the current 4/3 25mm f/1.4 Summilux is.

This has now been confirmed by Panasonic that it is in fact Leica branded.

Question: And there's a new lens to go with the G3 isn't there?
    JM: “Yes, here's the first working sample of the 25mm f/1.4; really eagerly anticipated and not planned for launch until the second half of this year. It will be Leica approved and branded.

Source - Panasonic G3 Question and Answer - Page 3 | PhotographyBLOG

I guess rumour sites are what they are. You win some you loose some.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Off-topic:

I wish the 25mm wasn't Leica branded. Let me explain. I need a good 25mm prime. It doesn't need to be great, and the Leica label will cost. Some will embrace it with open arms. I'll reserve complete judgement until final price comes out, however, An f2 or f2.8 25mm plain Panny labeled lens would have done me fine.

• Like Like x 2
  14. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I thought that was the point.

15. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Allow me to play the armchair analyst for a moment. I don't really view this as a failure from 4:3 rumors. Marketing politics shift constantly to address as accurately as possible the consumers' expectations.

The story I read here (or my gut feeling, if you prefer) is Panasonic has no optics R&D of its own. They certainly license outright all their designs from Leica. I find unbelievable that any company can achieve such optical quality after a couple of years in a century old market. Panasonic don't have enough experience to pull winners after winners as they do. Furthermore, to my knowledge, the only company in the photography business which makes itself all its lenses is Canon. Every other has been or is sourcing some or all parts from specialized manufacturers, under strict Q&A control.

But Leica is a luxury brand, and as such they can't allow to be associated with consumer grade products. My guess is, at the time the development deal was inked between Panasonic and Leica, all the rage was regular 4:3 and Leica agreed to brand lenses for that mount under the premise Panasonic and Olympus would develop high end flagship bodies to tag along with. But they did not allowed their name to be used on any other mount. Case in point : the 20/1.7 is supposedly Panasonic only, but is so much impressive you'd have a hard time convincing me Leica had no part in the design.

That's where the rumors of the 25/1.4 being not Leica branded stems from. I think it was impossible under the existing deal, because both Panasonic and Olympus had envisioned :43: as a mid-range consumer format.

My conclusion is Leica changed their mind because the existing deal was revised. I see it as a sign Panasonic made the promise to pull out regular 4:3 completely and will develop a high-end line of cameras to complement Leica's position as a luxury and exclusive optician.

This is interesting because it leaves Olympus completely alone and naked as a supporter of 4:3; and it's certainly the reason of the perceptible strain of the relationship between Panasonic and Olympus (no common accessory port, no panasonic speedy AF in olympus bodies, no new sensor in Olympus lineup since the original model, etc.)

I make no claim on the accuracy of my analysis. Just food for thought.

Cheers,

• Like Like x 3
  16. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    As you say, food for thought. Enjoyable read though.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For anyone interested, here is an email I today sent to the 43Rumors admin along with his very kind reply:

5713654113_994cdc5af4_o.

18. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have no worries at all.

No worries about either Mr. Bob and Mr. Amin.

It's just a camera. It's kinda futile to speculate about something that hasn't even been released, but Geeze, it's fun. I'll keep doing it till the day I die.

I remember the iphone 4. Wow.

• Like Like x 1