1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G3 in the Works

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Iconindustries, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Quoted from 4/3 Rumours

It's also been mentioned that it will be shipped with the 25mm f1.4
    If this is the case it sounds interesting.

Link
    43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) Panasonic G3 with a complete new design (new sensor and FullHD)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Don't worry, it'll probably won't be available until early 2012, so that solves the problem!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
  5. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    I am glad Panny is going to change the style on the G# series. I think the GH# is one thing, but having the G# look the same is redundant. If the sensor has better dynamic range than my GF1, I will be very interested...

6. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    The G10 and G2 didn't sell well most likely because the G1 was so good, and for someone who wanted video the GH1 or GH2 was "it". There was not much point in the G2/10.

I will be very sorry if Panasonic abandon the G1 body though, it is the most ergonomical camera I've ever had.

Why can't we get a better sensor, AF, burst rate and less messing about with touchscreens and trendy new body shapes ?

7. Diane B

Diane B Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2010
    I agree about the G2 and G10. I have both the G1 and GF1 and they didn't really offer me much different except touch screen since I even have video on the Gf1 if I want it. I'm ready to upgrade but believing there will be a G3 announced the end of April i'm trying to be disciplined and wait until then to make a decision without knowing if it will even offer me what I want--best EVF, tilt screen, good sensor and preferably the larger sensor with ability to change formats without losing resolution. I even rather agree with Blue about the ergonomics of the G1. It fits my hand beautifully and other than the one button MF most all the buttons, dial are in the right place. But then I believed I was bonded with the 5D, the camera I most enjoyed shooting for many years (but which now seems gigantic and heavy even with a fast prime when I pick it up)--until my G1. So, if the next iteration of the G is somewhat different but still fits to hand and offers me my "wants" I'll go that direction instead of the GH2.

I'm discounting the idea of the "special" version being for me since others are sort of expecting it to be a distinct version of one of the current bodies rather than a "new" modelc but I'd love to be wrong LOL

Dianr

8. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I'm with you! I love my G1 and so far have seen nothing that would entise me away from it. Personally, they should have continued to improve/upgrade the G1 without video and no touch screen, and leave video and touch for the GH series. That would give the G to the stills shooter and GH to the people who wanted video.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Im also a fan of the G body, i'd prefer they concentrated on shaving a few mm off the dimensions and boosting the technology rather than invent weird shapes to fit it all in.

10. Product cycles are so short these days that the changes from one model to the next are mostly incremental. It is generally only worthwhile to upgrade with every second model.

11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

"But it will not have a “rangefinder look” like the famous DMC-LC1."

Well that's a shame , because i thought that the L1 was an amazing design. It looked very cool and retro, and with my Italian nose its much more comfortable to look through than my G1. I have smashed my nose all over the back of my G1, I have a cloth just for wiping those smudge marks away.

12. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    They should build a camera in the same body as the G1. No video required. It should have the same features as the G1. It should have the same spec as the G1 and offer identical performance. It should be sold with the 14-45 lens.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    ????

That would be a G1....

14. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    I think there was a touch of irony in Mick's post.

Which reminds me- I must get on with the ironing. It's such a pressing job.

15. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    This is totally great. But then it would be so perfect, that I would have to buy it - and I already have it. What to do?

16. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    Ripley was an inshore seaman

17. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    So am I a seashore inns man, neither. %)

18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Hmmm ... a 25/1.4 bundled as a kit with G3? I find it difficult to understand the reasoning behind it.

On the other hand, I can't figure out why both Pany and Oly don't release more pancake lenses. If Pentax can make 43/1.9 and 70/2.4 pancakes for an APS-C DSLR, surely Pany and Oly can come up w/ lots more fast pancake primes.

19. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    We need to get back to our roots. Is there a Box Brownie thread here ?

20. benjie

benjie Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    London
    Now ya talkin'. My first camera was a Brownie 127. Can't be beat. Well, maybe the G1 is an equal. Anyone else lucky enough to have possessed one?