1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G3 BLANK PHOTOS!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by plutoniumhunter, Sep 29, 2012.

1. plutoniumhunter

plutoniumhunter Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Hey all,

I was out shooting with my G3 yesterday, and all of a sudden the pictures were blank. Just pure darkness. I have tried everything, reset lens, reformat card, reset all settings, and the problem still persists. Occasionally the camera will take one or two good pictures in a row, and then the problem comes back. Anyone has this issue before? Please do offer some advice, I bought it 2nd hand about a year ago, and I kind of need it for my next holiday, which is in a few days...

Thanks all.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Have you tried another SD card? Or are the review pictures on the LCD black as well?

3. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    forgot to remove the lens cap?

(sorry :biggrin: )

• Like Like x 1
  4. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Tried with another card, even the preview images without SD card are totally blank! And yes, the review pictures on the LCD are black as well.

5. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    :rofl: Sadly, no, and that would have been an easy solution.

6. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Do you still get live preview when composing? Does the camera sound any different (shutter issue)?

7. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Live preview is perfectly fine, but when I press the shutter to take a photo, normally it goes to image review, but now it's image review with just a blank image most of the time now. The shutter sounds perfectly normal, and I have taken off the lens to have a look, shutter looks and sound fine to me when tested without lens, not a hint of a stuck shutter. Could it be that the shutter is too fast, causing underexposure and a blank image? Or could this be a software problem, seeing that I can't seem to find any mechanical flaws with the camera so far.

8. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    I could upload some pictures and a video to show you guys when I'm back from work later.

9. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    Try doing a reset and see if this helps.

10. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Is it possible to reinstall firmware?

11. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    By "reset", you mean the menu option above format, right? Unfortunately I've tried it twice already, still no success.

12. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Well, I probably could update it, since it's at 1.0 at the moment.

13. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Total guess but if the shutter is actuating visibly when you look inside without a lens and you have a black screen and images then perhaps this is a sensor issue (failure ?)

14. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Wow, never considered that. But sometimes the picture turns out good, which is strange. Sometimes it's the first 2 pics after I turn on the camera, sometimes I have to take like 10 before I get 2-3 good pics, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. Oh well, I'd guess this is the worse-case-scenario diagnosis. :frown:

15. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/99DhTXj0Q74?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    There you go, no pictures, but movies are fine. Very strange, if it was a sensor failure, I'd expect both movies and live preview to be not working as well?

17. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    I updated the camera to Firmware ver 1.2 for the body, and the problem persisted, but when I came back from work at night, it miraculously worked! Took about 20-30 pics to make sure I wasn't dreaming, probably would test again this afternoon.

18. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Good! I recall having a similar issue with my G1 once. I think it fixed itself after I took out the battery and put it back in... Hope it is fixed now, but I think it should be alright. Only happened to my camera once. Enjoy the holiday!

19. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Thanks Gerald! I'll keep that in mind the next time (hopefully NEVER!) it happens!

20. plutoniumhunter

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Back from holiday 2 weeks ago, everything worked well!

• Like Like x 1