Panasonic G3 announced and reviewed by PhotographyBLOG

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by soundimageplus, May 12, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Smaller body with new design. Lighter, cheaper and with more touch screen control. Like the GF2 was to the GF1 this is a similar evolution.

I had a look at some of the raw files in Raw Photo Processor which will open them, with some strange colours which I had to correct in Photoshop. They look very similar to GH2 files. However there was an ISO 6400 I downloaded and opened which looked very impressive. Only one file I know, but it did look
    good and a lot better than the jpg version.

The Dpreview preview with samples is also now up:-
    Panasonic DMC G3 Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

So according to Dpreview it also lost the external Mic socket. So GF2 without remote control, G3 without external mic. Plus no eye sensor. Making the body smaller while not maintaining functions of its predecessor doesn't look like great engineering to me...

• Like Like x 1
  4. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

So, where does this exactly slot in into the current Lumix line-up? It seems to be borrowing features and functions from the G2, GF2 and GH2...

5. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Indeed. It seems to be fitting in between the GF2 and GH2. Its a real shame Panasonic have gone down the "take a few features out so as not to take sales away from our top of the range model"

I think Dpreview are right when they say the system is relatively new so they can still experiment. If as was reported the G2 and G10 were not good sellers, then this must be their attempt to both get a mid range model thats successful, and to compete in the size stakes with Sony NEX and Samsung NX100.

They have included key features such as built in EVF and articulated screen. The body is apparently less well made and this would indicate that they are determined to compete on price too.

The G3 does seem to be the result of economics and marketing but none the less it does look interesting. I will almost certainly get one as a backup for my GH2. I do like the shape more as I was never a fan of the miniature DSLR look.

Its certainly pretty impressive on the spec. front.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Compared to the other cameras in the G/GH series, I really like the overall form. I was really hoping they would move away from the traditional DSLR body and this is a good step in that direction. Might give one a shot, depending on it's price.

Anyone find an image of it next to a GF camera? I keep reading its about the same size as one + EVF, but it doesn't look that small to me. I think I'm just seeing it out of context though.

7. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

They have comparison pictures on PhotographyBlog.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    I'm a little puzzled (as usual!). DP Review says it's the first Panasonic with a sensor larger than 12 Mp. But I though my GH2 was larger than that?

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I like the "rubbery" body - I always feel I have a good grip on the camera.

My hope is the dynamic range and low light sensitivity is improved enough to warrant an upgrade to my G1.

10. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
  11. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    No, it say's: "This makes it the first mass-market Micro Four Thirds model to step away from Panasonic's 12MP chip."

They simply didn't consider the GH2 to be a mass-market camera.

-Nate Hahn

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I like the body redesign
    I like the new sensor so far

I don't like the loss of stereo input
    I don't like the loss of auto-eye sensor
    I don't like the reduction in body quality /correction: it's aluminum like the GF1, not worst

For me, it will boil down to how the camera feels. My GF1 is one solid piece of work. I do not want to downgrade from that. However, given how close in size it is to the GF1 w/ the EVF... I almost want to get it. If it were $499 body only, I'd probably accept the flaws and sell the GF1/EVF. Maybe.

13. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    There is a brief video preview here, on Photoradar:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joOvrjOUaKI]YouTube - Panasonic Lumix G3 first look from PhotoRadar.com[/ame]

Interestingly, the reviewer mentions GF1 enthusiast level users of the GF1 being disappointed with the GF2, and that this is likely the camera they sought: key controls are manual, and a built-in high quality EVF.

I will await some more information, but it does look like it's around the size of the GF1 + EVF, with a better sensor, top notch EVF and a swivelling screen.

With a 14, 20 and 45 lens kit, this could be very versatile: if you are in to video add the 14-140 and you are set.

14. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    As I mentioned earlier I looked at an ISO 6400 raw file and was impressed. There's something in there called intelligent resolution :-

"The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3's Intelligent Resolution feature identifies outlines, texture areas and soft gradation areas of the image and then automatically optimizes the edges and detailed texture areas while using noise reduction to make the soft gradation areas smoother. There are three available strengths - low, standard and high."

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Review - Image Quality | PhotographyBLOG

Certainly the ISO 6400 sample I looked at had a fair amount of noise but when I removed the colour noise in Photoshop it did come up well. Quite grainy, with a fair amount of luminance noise, but pretty sharp. Some of the high ISO (jpg) samples in the Dpreview piece also look pretty punchy.

I'm assuming that the only way Panasonic are going to get useable high ISO images out of ever more populous sensors is by some heavy duty software "fixes". On a very quick look, it seems they might have come up with one. Certainly all the reviews seem to be talking about a high ISO improvement.

Good news I think.

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    For me these are intriguing design choices.
    Holding my G1 up to the pics on DPReview I see a mil or two shaved off a more sloping top-plate. The grip is more like Olympus' e-620, which I like but plenty won't : especially when a larger lens is tipping the thing forward. Couple of mil from the left edge. The body is considerably thinner for no reason at all considering the EVF is the same size and seems now to protrude even more from the back.
    Buttons seem fine : all present and correct once set up for the user. Less, but OK.
    I do not understand how they think they can remove the excellent eye-detect function!?! :mad:

Hang about, is this a NICE colour or just some red lighting shining off the black body?;
    btf00fuurihjk3n02.

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I heard Panny was working on a collapsable lens. This would fit better I think with the GFx and this camera better than the larger lens. I wonder how fast this new camera would focus with the Oly MK II collapsable lens? IQ does seem to be better than the GF1.

17. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I don't get the whole series, too much like an APS-C DSLR. I'm in this for the EVF-less cameras. I keep waiting for the EVF model that stands out, this certainly isn't it. The GH-2 was close, but I'd still buy the GF-1 over it. The loss of features on this new one was disappointing. I want to see the maximum expression of the series, not a tweener.

18. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    What features are missing?

19. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I'm glad they removed eye-sensor because in G2 it switches between LCD and EVF even if I manually select LCD by pressing the EVF/LCD button.

I'll miss AE-L/AF-L button and external mic socket.

Overall camera JPEGs, even at higher ISOs, look very impressive.

20. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    As Amin noted elsewhere:

• Eye sensor for automatic switching between the EVF and rear LCD
    • Top left dial/lever for controlling focus mode
    • Option to connect external microphone
    • Dedicated AF/AE Lock button

Whether or not they are big losses is up to the individual. I'd be more concerned about overall build quality suffering, though a couple of those are unfortunate. I don't consider any a real show stopper at this point, at least in moving up from a GF1. Might be bigger loses if you're coming down from a previous G/GH.