1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G3 and fixing color noise

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not sure if this has been mentioned previously, but I'll add my findings here.

I was wondering what the heck was bothering me about Panasonic's image output...I then realized Panasonic images output with lots of color noise, even at low ISOs. I tend to prefer less color noise in my images. I'm a Photoshop user, but this adjustment will apply in either raw or jpeg format (using photo software of choice).

This particular adjustment was done on a Panasonic G3 jpeg file. In Photoshop, I went into filter > noise > reduce noise, I then zero'ed all setting except for the reduce color noise option which I set to 50%. To my eye the image looks much cleaner.

Before:

After:

Hope this helps anyone looking to clean up their files a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Balinus

Balinus New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2013
    Being a complte newbie at all that.... what would a similar equivalent settings in Lightroom?

I use a GH2 and I always thought there was too much color noise....

Thanks for the idea!

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not exactly sure what the Lightroom equivalent would be, maybe a LR user can chime in on here. I ended up just creating a quick action in PS to remove the color noise. To my eye, the photos look significantly cleaner, while still maintaining image clarity. Olympus files tend to have less color noise, but after working over a Panasonic file, I think I'm beginning to like the Panasonic output. It just needs a bit more finessing. :wink:

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    LightRoom does this sort of thing semi-automatically, as do most RAW processors. It's chrominance (color) noise (rather than luminance), there's a slider for it under the noise reduction panel along with a level (detail, I think) to set the threshold above which to tackle it.

5. Balinus

Balinus New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2013
    Indeed!

Thanks! I'll look at it when I finish work. :)