Panasonic G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jfoco, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jfoco

jfoco Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Hi All,

I've had my G2 for a couple months now and really like it. However, it seems to be a little over my head at times. I'm getting a ton of blurry shots. Seems like the shutter is staying open too long. Can anyone provide any tips on how to correct this problem? I've tired the iA feature but that seems to have the same issue at times. Also, do you think the 14mm pancake lens would be a good choice for this one?

Thanks,

jfoco

• Like Like x 1
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome jfoco. Can you post an example image? What conditions are you shooting in regarding light?

• Like Like x 1
  3. jackc866

jackc866 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    Hi! I have the G2 and I'm new to the micro 4/3 as well. I recommend setting aside a few hours and going through each and every menu setting with your manual in hand. Learn what each and every feature does. Google it if you still don't get it. You may have to do this a couple of times for it to sink in.

I purchased the 20mm lens and I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    You'll get a little red camera shake symbol come up when the shutter speed is deemed too slow, but i'm surprised your getting trouble in auto mode.
    Increasing the ISO will allow you to use a faster shutter speed...

... and holding it still.
    :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Which lens are you using? Do you have the OIS turned on?

I have found it can take a second or so for everything the settle in with my 45-200.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jfoco

jfoco Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Thanks for all the reply's I'm currently the 14-42mm lens that came with the G2. I think I'm going to take Jackc866's advice. I need some one on one time with the manual. I also need to take some more shots. Jackc, what 20mm lens did you purchase. I'm still trying to figure out all the different combo's for this camera.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. ajm80031

ajm80031 Mu-43 Regular

jfoco,

If you're getting blurry shots while in one of the auto modes, then the most likely cause would be that the ISO setting has been fixed at a low level (e.g. 100) while shooting in something other than very bright light. In this case the camera has to keep the shutter open for longer to compensate. Bring up the ISO menu on the camera and make sure that you're set to 'Auto' rather than one of the fixed levels. That should resolve the problem when you just want to "point and shoot" so long as you're not shooting in very low light levels.

Regardless of what mode you're shooting in, it's a good idea to check the shutter speed that's been chosen when you depress the shutter release halfway to focus the shot. The camera has a built in 'camera shake' warning that should show up next to the shutter speed if it thinks you're at risk of getting a blurry photo. If you see this, you either need to change settings or do something to steady the camera (use a tripod, or if that's not practical lean against a solid object to steady your body) before taking the shot.

Manually increasing the ISO beyond the range that 'Auto' will use can help in low light situations but the photos will be more noisy. With my GH1, photos taken at ISO 1600 and above typically need to be run through noise reduction software to look good. I believe the second generation cameras like your G2 have less noise at the higher ISO settings, so you can probably use the higher ISO settings more freely.

In the longer run, learning to take take more control of the camera yourself and leave less of it on automatic is a good strategy. Experiment with the aperture priority, shutter priority, and fully manual modes as you get more experience with the camera. You'll find that you can do everything the automated modes can do, and do it better because you understand exactly what conditions you're shooting in and what you're trying to accomplish while the camera is just making an informed guess.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Hi jfoco and welcome :)

All the best,

Colin

9. jackc866

jackc866 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    @ jfoco: I got the 20mm f1.7 one that they make for the Lumix's. But I didn't have a whole lot of blur on the one that came with it, and I rarely ever use flash.

Yeah, run through with the manual. If your shoot in "P' mode, or have the "iA" on, and you allow the 'auto ISO' to go up to 800 or 1600, you shouldn't have a problem. And a couple obvious things: Is there a smudge on the lens? When you snap photos... press the button in about half-way for a second, then smoothly press it down all the way. Don't jerk it down.

10. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

He's a suggestion.

If you'd like, send me a private message. I'll give you my e-mail address to which you can send me one or two original photos that show your problem. I can review the EXIF data and try to identify what you are doing wrong.

Don't alter, resize or modify the photo, so all he EXIF data will be intact.

11. jfoco

jfoco Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Amazing

So I'm a bit overwhelmed with the feedback. I joined this forum less than a week ago and am amazed by the feedback. What a great forum! (and I've been on a ton of forums) I've literally learned more about my G2 in the past week than I have in the past three months. You guys are pretty amazing. I look forward to learning and using the camera in the non-auto modes. I sincerely appreciate all the support and quality feedback. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

jfoco

12. jackc866

jackc866 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010
    1) "overwhelmed with the feedback": I hear you. I'm surprised as well!! I havent seen any "pffft.. if you don't know, I'm not telling you" kind of attitudes that usually plague forums. I imagine those types are still resisting the micro 4 3 scene (which is fine by me).

2) "blurry shots": Now that I've shot more and have thought about it.. you're right. I think these micro 4 3s are just different animals that what you're used to (SLR?). They seem to be unforgiving in some areas. Focus, I've noticed that I have to be super careful with mine. I think I'm going to have to rely less on the lcd more on the lvf. Or turn that focus assist thing back on (even though it gets on my nerves).

Btw.. how are you coming with your issues?

13. atrac7

atrac7 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 13, 2011
    hello, new user here...i just bought the G2 and have been loving it so far. i've been reading around the forum and see talks about "hacking" the G2. Anyone know what the advantages of this are? Is it worth the risk, if any?