Panasonic G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Razer, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    No doudt this camera coming before the end of the month with it being on the shelf sometime in march.

I personally think it just be a tweaked up version of the G1

Maybe it have the GH1 sensor for uncropped aspect ratio's & only 720p & mono sound movie mode

A few tweaks to the ISO DR & Jpeg Quality.

A slight body re-design but nothing to major

Both the screen & EVF will proberly remain the same as the G1

Maybe a slightly better processing engine.

But most of the other functions will remain the same i feel.

Price wise proberly just under £500 in the UK with 14-45mm kit lens.

I think the major improvments will come with the GH2 towards the end of the year.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Razer,
    I kinda agree with you. The G1 ain't hard to take as it is. It's the camera I use when I have to go to $work$.

If they shave off that slr hump, I'd be happy..maybe loose or change the grip.....
    hmmmm, we'll see

3. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    I think Panasonic will stick with the DSLR styling of the G series

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I do too.....'specially since they already have the GF-1 but really the G1 is very good as is...

5. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    I think when the 100-300mm lens is released, it going to be slightly hard to use on a GF1 body.

Hence why they keep the DSLR form factor going.

Basically rumor has it they going to announce 2 bodies sometime next week.

So it could either be a Rangefinder style with an EVF or a very basic one, for those that just want something easy to use.

6. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I'll tell ya Razer.
    It would take a hell of a camera to get me off the Pen 1 and the G1.
    The G1 I still equate as my DSLR...which means work....so I could be swayed...but not yet...

The Pen 1 ... Put it this way, I haven't stopped being in love with it since I got it in July 09...
    My M8 is in the box for years already....

7. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    God i would love to have a Leica like a M8 or M9 but can't afford it, don't get paid enough as a Retail Section Manager :(

If i ever won the lotto I think the M9 would be one item i purchase along with a couple of those expensive lenses.

In the meantime My G1 will just have to do :)

8. ptomsu

ptomsu New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    My EP2 is my main camera since I bought it a few weeks ago.

My M8 long time sold still keeping my M glass for maybe my future M9 - not sure.

Besides MF the M43 is for me just the right solution.

Very happy already with the EP2 EVF, but would prefer it to be built inside the camera, which then hopefully would not get much larger. Maybe we see something like that from the G2 or GH2 - hopefully smaller than the G size.

9. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Peter, Razer....
    My M-8's were from batch 1.
    So, the problems I had never left my mind.....
    I will never use them again...I have 1 unused, fixed by Leica in a box for maybe my grandson some day....
    he'll never get my Pen....well, not while I'm alive...

10. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    So had a few problems with yours then, what were the problems.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer Charter Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I'm a bit confused by the talk of a G2. As I understand it, Panasonic produced the GH1 to include video that they should have included in the G1 for competitive reasons. Are there other small improvements given to the GH1 that the G1 lacked?

Why would Panasonic produce a G2 if the GH1/GH2 is overall a superior machine? Unless the G2 would be priced significantly lower than the GH1 and Panasonic would use the G2 as entry point with GH1/GH2 as high end?

I would have thought the G1 would be history (and not resurrected) after the GH1 came out. At a somewhat similar price point, would anyone choose a G1 when they could have a GH1?

I think I must be missing something that some of you may be able to help me understand.

12. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    There do seem to be rumours circulating about a G2 upgrade now and a GH2 upgrade later in the year which, like you, I find strange. I can see no reason to keep the two lines going as they are so similar. In many ways the GH1 can be seen as the G2.
    It seems to make sense to keep one line running in a GH1 direction and another in a GF1 direction, and upgrade those as and when.

13. Razer

Razer Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    Wigan
    There's alot of sense in the G2, the Samsung NX10 being one reason.

If Panasonic don't release it, it gives Samsung a clean run at the lower end of the market
    for a DSLR style system camera, not everybody wants a GF1 or EP style body.

Also with rumors of Sony & Nikon coming with their own version aswell, it makes even more sence to have the G2 on the shelves.

• Like Like x 2
  14. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    Some don't want to pay a premium for video when
    they have no interest in using it.

15. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Video

I suspect its here to stay though.

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I would not be at all surprised to see the new "G" camera being an updated GH1/G1 combination with better high ISO performance and better JPEG output as well as a higher frame rate for those shooting action/sport.

It makes more sense for Panasonic to have the DSLR type "G"series, the compact GF1 style "G" series, a replacement for the high end compact LX3 and then a stable of other compacts - this way they can concentrate on producing highest quality in each range without having too many conflicting models on the shelf at the same time.

I do not expect Panasonic to follow Olympus and produce an entry level GF1 style camera.

• Like Like x 2
  17. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Yes I'd pretty much agree with that.

18. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ian, if you aren't on Panny payroll,
    you should be.
    Great vision.

19. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    I often struggle with these 'company product strategy' debates... I don't have the understanding of either m4/3rds company history, culture or present leadership to have the confidence of prediction.

So I usually stick to what would make sense to me personally... that would be a stronger built GH2, with the GH1 falling in price (or replaced with a cheaper sensored, mildly tweaked version) to replace the G1 as an entry model m4/3rds cam with inbuilt EVF + grip.

Just because it makes sense to me, has zero bearing on what they'll do. :wink:

Cheers

Brian

20. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    If the CEO of Panasonic UK is reading this - make me an offer and I could become your "Visionary"................yeah right!