1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G2 ... still going strong

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RaZZ3R, Aug 9, 2012.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    A few days ago I had a oportunity to test my cameras abilities in term of high ISO performance and my manual focus skill (wich is still basic in by opinion but I seemed to level up a bit :smile:). There was a dancing show in the open in the town I live that started late (about 21:00) so it was dark but there was "enough" artificial light for ISO 1600 at f 2.8 / ISO 400-800 at f 1.8 to keep the shutter at least 1/100 even higher with a more faster lens. The biggest problem I had was getting access for better composition because the space was small-ish and a lot of people where there blocking my way and my view but I still managed, most of them where shot from a high place but still got very annoyed by block shots from different obstacles like the spot lights towers and other things. Only my the last 10 minutes I managed to get close enough to get a strait portrait shots but those where few. That night was the second time I managed to fill my 8GB SD card to the point of burst, about 1700 photos, and I only shot in JPEG.

The equipment I used was:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
    Revuenon Auto 50mm f 1.8
    Hanimar Auto "S" 135mm f 2.8
    SanDisk 8GB SDHC Class 4

Setting used:

JPEG - Fine - 12MP - I needed highest depth for more photos in Burst
    Auto White Balance - There where a lot of light colors, type and sources, to much for one single type of White Balance
    High Speed Drive - 3.5 FPS ( I can't remember what the depth burst is for JPEG)
    Aperture Priority - I used it the most because I'm a DOF and Bokeh freak
    Manual/Auto ISO - I mixed them becuase there where moment where Auto ISO managed to keep the shutter speed adequet but sometimes I needed more speed or wanted lower noise.

One thing that I observerd (for the first time since I gave this little beauty) ist that I can not keep up with the Burst Drive when it comes to exposure. Some times the exposure of the first 2-3 shots are correct but after that either it overexposes of underexposes leaving me to belive that after the first shot the exposure is locked at that level untile the release of the shutter button or it can't keep the calculating the exposure fast enough so it lags behind. I really don't know much about this mistery, maybe you know more then me.

Now manual focusing whas a bit hard for me, since I used only manual lenses. Even tracking the movement throu the EVF was a bit hard because I have poor eye sight and it was a bit dark in the artificial light. At the time of shooting my eyes where telling me that I got at least a quarter of the 1700 in perfect to good enough focus but the truth was far from that. I only managed about 5 "perfect" focus and about 100 in good enough so that was quite disappointing. After choosing and editing I ended up with just 50 from 1700 shots :eek:

The Auto White Balance did some extraordinary perfect match in a few shots and blow out some others (complete red, green or blue hue on the subjects) but I did more then I expected, better then I hoped and awsome compared to my focusing skill so that counts for something.

Now the shutter speed flactuated betwen 1/80s to 1/150s when I used my 135mm f 2.8 lens so I did got sharp enough images but blured enough subject to get a sens of motion and the most suprising thing of all was that at 270mm (35mm equiv.) I managed to get sharp (in my point of view) hand held :eek: shots at 1/100s exposure and no image stabilization (maybe that would explain why my arms still hurt after 3 hours of shooting in portrait position hand held). But there where a lot of photos missed because of slow shutter speed, compared to the speed that needed be to be sharp, so it's not a perfect story.

I almost allways shoot in RAW but this time I had to shoot JPEG and it did bite me in the :tongue: because I felt the inadequacy of the JPEG when I processed them in Lightroom 4.1, especialy when trieing to recover the original color from the color shift of the so many light sources. for me 8-bit is just to little information and I got a lot color artefacts so I ended up with a partial Black & White shot that made it even more dramatic then I expected.

Now enough talk and here are some unedited JPEGs (only resized)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are some edited photos in Lightroom 4.1 (it took me a few days to processe them because I have a really god damn slow PC, some of you would be :eek: if I would tell you that I'm using a Intel Celeron at 2 GHz with 1 GB of RAM, only 896 accessable because I also use an ancient VIA Chrome IGP, on a Windows 7 machine with Lightroom 4.1)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little "adventure" made me realize that I will never be a sport or action shooter but that does'nt mind me because I love more landscape and astrophotography but it's allways fun to trie something new, something you might not like or that you are not interested.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    That last shot is fantastic !

• Like Like x 2
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Looks like you did great with a very challenging situation. Congrats!

As a G1 owner, I think there's definitely a few more good years with this generation of sensor. Though the difference between it and the current cameras is far smaller in good light.

4. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    It's good that you pointed out that "in good light". My G2 never failed me when I did landscapes shots from dusk to dawn but beyound that I allways had to struggle to get the best out of it and not the best it can be. I will also keep my G2, for now, but next year I'm planing on getting either Pentax K-5 or the next generation if it has enough feature/upgrades to make it worth it.

And thanks Livnius, it wasn't all that great untile he met my little Lightroom 4.1 friend. I've been using Lightroom for about a month now and it's so easy, fun and powerfull that I regret I haven't using it sooner.

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

+1
    Also a G1 owner & user.

6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Strong imagery. No shame on this set. I know how it feels when you come away with so much less than what you had planned. But I think you have some stunning images, from a very difficult situation. Just consider these the fruit separated from the chaff. :thumbup:

7. thisgraphiclife

thisgraphiclife New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Jason
    Last shot!

Great work with a manual focus lens - that lost shot is great! Shows you don't need the latest, sharpest, fastest lens to take a great image!