1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G2 ... still going strong ... Part II

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RaZZ3R, Sep 3, 2012.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Since a few days ago it got chilly where I live (lots of cloud cover and ocasional rain) so it got me thinking about shooting some flowers (all summer was to hot and it "burn" most of the vegetation and it wouldn't be interesting to shoot the only survivors of this drought: weed [not the drog kind :p]). All thou it was windy and cloudy using my old friends Revuenon 50mm f 1.8 and Hanimar 135mm f 2.8 I did managed to keep the shutter speed acceptable for eliminating movement from the wind. The colors are mostly accurate, that's what you get for using AWB and having bad memory :p but it did a good job actually better then LightRoom's Auto setting on WB, dinamic range was pretty good, not that it was all that hard really from a cloudy day, noise was low, all of the shots where at 100 to 160 (why can't it stay still to 100 is beyond mt knowledge) but sharpness was another story, even with a small-ish sensor the thin DOF makes hard to manual focus on youre subject and when that subject is rock back and forth #?~!@%^&#>?*^! but at least I did supect it will be that way so I use burst and took about 5-10 shots of every sobject I wanted. All of the pictures where shot in RAW, hand-held and then edited, to get the feeling and look that it had when I took it, in LightRoom 4.1, hope you enjoy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is my best landscape shot I've ever done so far and the best HDR-look also (but it's not an HDR per say because it's from only one RAW file), hope you like it and don't consider it to ugly by having that HDR look

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Excellent work. My G2 is still going strong too!

• Like Like x 1
  3. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I handed down my G2 to my son. He is loving it.

4. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I'll wait for the next Pentax K (if it's not worth it I'll buy the now discontinued Pentax K-5) and after that I'll give it, as present, to my sister, after I'll paint it pink :cool:

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Contrary to the opinions of many, my M8 did not stop making stunning pictures when the M9 was announced...My D200 made great photos until I sold it earlier this year...somehow these old cameras just don't seem to get the memo and go on making the same great pics they always did! :biggrin:

6. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    I also love my G2. Use it mostly for shooting macro and with other adapted lenses.

And I do like your "HDR" shot that isn't an HDR shot!

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The sky's a little purple-ish, but it looks pretty natural to me beyond that. I don't think you've entered the realm of over-baked HDR.

8. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I really don't know what happend with the colors because when I edited in Lightroom it look a beautifull surreal deep blue but when I exportet to JPEG it kind of f*** up my colors, and on other pictures also. My only explanation that crosses my mind is that when I export to JPEG, I allways and only backup in DNG from RW and export to JPEG when I publish and distribuit or whatever, I choose Adobe ProPhoto color spaceing while my RW files are recorded with Adobe RGB so that may be the cause of the color shift. I'll trie latter other color profiles to see if it makes any difference.

9. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    I like the shot below especially, the striped bokeh is really cool. Good luck re-creating that look! :cool:
    The 1-shot HDR look is not even close to my 'too-much' threshold. As noted, a bit of a color cast but the DR looks nice.

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well, in any case, it looks excellent.

11. I like what you've done. It's a good example of single shot HDR. The only things that I might have done differently is to adjust the tone curve to raise the exposure of the midtones and also reduce the strength of the vignette, but then I do have a preference for overexposure rather than underexposure.

12. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    It really was the color profile that changed my colors and, apparently, also darkend the mid-tones so I re-exportet the original DNG file to JPEG but this time I chosen AdobeRBG and it all went well once more:

[​IMG]

I tried to give more light to the mid-tones but it made the picture lose it's HDR-like quality and made it look just booring. I actualy like the way it got the first time because the buildings doesn't distract from the forest and the clouds, it just looks balanced, to my eyes at least :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1