1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G2 or Nikon d50

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Undertow, May 17, 2012.

1. Undertow

Undertow  

May 17, 2012
    North Carolina
    Just starting out in photography and love the look and feel of fast primes. I'm very low on funds at the moment. I have a friend who suggested the D50 because of all the cheap lenses i could pick up on ebay. But i found a Used G2 onsale and was wondering the pros and cons of older DSLR vs G2 and current pricing of the m43 lenses. What do you guys/girls think? D50 cheap primes or g2 with kit and manual focus legacy cheap primes? Which would have the best quality pics? color? and what noise?

2. The only really cheap lenses you'll pick up on eBay for the D50 are manual focus primes or autofocus kit zooms. The manual focus lenses will be more usable on the G2 because you can select a magnified view to assist in focusing. The D50 itself was nothing special and is only a six megapixel camera. In terms of usablility the g2 is light years in front given that it offers a high quality electronic eye-level viewfinder as well an artciulated LCD screen for composition. With the D50 you are stuck with an optical viewfinder only and no live view facility. There are much newer and better Nikons (D40, D40x, D60) that you could compare to the G2 if you are particularly wanting a DSLR.

3. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    The Nikon D50 was discontinued six years ago at this point. I started out with one and enjoyed it quite a lot. It won't meter with old primes that don't have CPUs. You can set everything manually. Primes with CPUs will work fine -- the 50mm normal lens (f/1.8) makes a nice short telephoto on the crop body. Check the shutter count -- the camera should have fewer than 20,000 activations for you to get any use of it, and preferably under 15,000. Exif data on a new jpg will show this. Not quite in the league with the D300 I replaced it with, but not a bad little camera. I bought body only and added a 18-70mm lens.

The question is whether you see yourself as staying with Nikon in the future or if you'd like a lighter camera system. Also, does the G2 come with a lens or is that going to be another expense?

The D50 will work with older style autofocus lenses.

Micro 43rds is lighter and the G2 would be a newer camera. I recently got a GF1 and 14-45mm lens from B&H for $400. KEH has various D50s for under $200. The 50mm f/1.8 ran around $120 new when I bought mine, check for current prices new and used. How broke are you? If the G2 you're considering is under $500 with a lens, you would be better off going with that if you can afford it.

If you'd like eventually to have a full frame Nikon, then look for lenses that will work with the D50 and then later with full frame. If you want a system that's lighter, then the micro 43rds.

4. DaveL

DaveL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Rhode Island
    LP and M already hit the important points.
    If you want fast primes on a budget you’re looking at older manual lenses. The good news is that there are tons of very good glass around that won’t break the bank. I have the D70 (from 2005) which is essentially the same camera as the D50 but with some added bells and whistles. It was a good camera in its time but 7 years is many lifetimes in digital camera sensor technology…… 6mp CCD vs 12mp Live-MOS etc. Only you know your budget and the "look" you want from the lenses. Take a look at the galleries here and the images shot with "adapted lenses" and see what primes you like and price them out.
    Personally, I would go for the G2 and a micro 4/3's wide angle prime-like the Pany 20mm 1.7 if you can budget that. Then look around for other primes that you like and add them as your budget allows.

5. Undertow

Undertow  

May 17, 2012
    North Carolina
    One happy camper, New G2 Owner.

Thanks for all the advice...So i picked up the G2 today and love it. Also bought a few adapters and a few legacy primes. So the camera and everything else only cost $420 total so far. Not bad at all. And yes the G2 came with the kit lens and was mint condition as the seller stated. Thanks again for all the help, sorry i didn't respond sooner, to busy shooting.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    These aren't really better, they lack a screw to drive the cheap AFD primes, like the 50 1.8 and the 85 1.8. Only benefit they offer is ability to mount non AI lenses and ability to use SDHC cards and for the D40x and D60, a little more megapixel at the expense of high ISO noise.

D50 also has unlimited flash sync unlike the newer cameras.

That being said. I think the OP made a good choice.

My Olympus PL1 jpegs look better than my D50 jpegs even though they share similar DXO scores.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I looked over my Lightroom archives when this question came up. My D300 shots are better than my D50 shots by about ten percent, not considering size, but not night and day better. I shot a lot of them with the 50mm f/1.8.

8. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    Undertow - I think you made the right choice too. The D50 was my first DSLR (it is still sitting in the closet upstairs) - but it is really an antique by today's standards. Your new G2 will give you better results, with modern conveniences (touch screen, built-in 720p video mode, etc.) And you'll probably carry it more often, because it is smaller. That said, I was looking at some old D50 shots the other day, and they still look pretty good. I might just go upstairs and power up the old beast today just for fun ;-)

Welcome to m4/3!

Bill