1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G2 is a curious beast

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Mar 8, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I know I did this once before and seems like we ended up with our own little G2 love fest...but I am genuinely curious. I recently sold my well loved G2 and went with an E-PM1 and E-P1. They are both fine cameras ands I really cannot criticize them but I found myself REALLY wishing I hadn't sold the G2. I just found it so incredibly comfortable and fun to use. The G2 has its fans on the boards and that's great. What I am curious about is the idea that the G2 somehow has inferior to all the other bodies (both Panasonic and Olympus). The funniest comments are ones that praise the GF1 or G1 and yet mention the G2 as being one to avoid. Granted the G2 is a later model and some of that is related to expectations (like the GF2's biggest failure being that the GF1 came first).

As I understand it the G2 shares the same sensor as the GF1, GF2, GF3, and G1. Even the Olympus cameras from E-P1 to present (the OMD being the exception) all use essentially the same sensor (albeit optimized a bit differently). I mean I can appreciate little subtle differences but my experience was that the G2 was every bit the camera the other GF and G series camera were with excellent ergonomics and handling to boot. I am excited to get another G2 and look forward to shooting with it again. It's too bad it was not better appreciated. I think it is still a very good camera and capable of very nice results.

Very curious indeed.

• Like Like x 2
  2. It's a middle child...

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Next to the GH2, the G2 has the best handling of any m43 camera. I think the problem is that it's too big for a lot of m43 fans, but doesn't offer all the features of the GH2. If it had the G3's sensor, though, I'd choose it over the G3 any day of the week.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The only negative I've ever heard is that it's too big, m4/3 is "supposed to be small". I disagree and love my G2. It handles well and has a lot of physical controls that are easy to use. With those and an occasional trip to the Quick Menu I rarely need to delve into the menu system. The G3 is disappointing to me.

When it comes time to upgrade or add a second body I'll probably go with an EM5 or the eventual GH3.

Fred

• Like Like x 2
  5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree that it's probably more a case of it being the "middle child" but it is funny how often it is overlooked. As far as the complaint that it is too big...when I had a G2 and E-PL1 at the same time, the G2 was much more compact than the E-PL1 with a VF2 attached.

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Haha when Olympus was touting the EM-5 specs with "built in EVF!" "Eye sensor!" "Touch screen controls!" I looked at my G2 and realized I already had all that back in 2010. Ok the sensor is better in the EM-5 but it's not like suddenly my G2 will start taking bad pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    True enough...the G2 is really quite a nice setup. After handling a G3 I found that I was not so interested in "trading up". I like the G3 and its better sensor but I felt the G2 was more comfortable in the hand, had better controls, I would REALLY miss the eye sensor on the EVF and I really do not find the IQ in the G2 to be deficient. I also found that the G2 was (by virtue of the way it handles) my favorite m43 body for legacy glass despite not having IBIS.

I think the OMD looks like a wonderful m43 body but I am not feeling the need to jump ship yet. Of all the m43 bodies I've had the G2 is far and away my favorite. I would even go so far as to say that if I could only have one right now I'd choose it over my E-PM1 and E-P1...without a doubt. As I said previously, I realized that I had made a major mistake as soon as I sold it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I leave the eye sensor off because it is too sensitive. Using the camera from chest or waist level with the screen flipped, as soon as he camera gets close to your body the &%$@&% LCD screen keeps turning off all the time.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I remember the first time that happen to me...it took me about a half an hour to figure out why the darned LCD kept going off when I had it at waist level. That said, I still like it when I'm shooting normally.

10. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    true; but if not for the G2, my 4/3 lenses; 1454 II and 1442 ED
    would have been kept unused for a long time or perhaps sold.

now, i have a comfortable combo; albeit a little slow in AF.

11. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have a GH2, that's the only reason I don't have a G2. I've played with it more than once in a store and found its handling far superior over the G3, for me it is a G1 Mark II: all the quirks that annoy me on the G1 have been improved on the G2, and I still like the G1, couldn't bring myself to sell it. I was thinking to replace it with a G2 but I couldn't find a strong enough reason to do that.

This shows IMHO that it's not only the sensor that determines the useability of a camera. These days everything seems to be about high ISO performance and when I look into my own use my cameras are at their lowest ISO setting for over 95 % of the pictures!

12. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yep. I see the OMD as Oly finally catching up to what Panasonic has been doing for a long time. The only thing about the OMD that seems better than the GH2, for my use, is the new IBIS. And I'm not going to spend a grand to get that. My GH2 (and G2 and G3) will continue to take the excellent pictures they take now.

In case you're wondering why I have all three, the G3 is for my wife, the G2 about to get converted for IR use.

13. Vripper

Vripper Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    The one downside of the G2 is that it only shoots video in 720, compared with 1080 on the GF2.

I'm hopeful that Panasonic will release another body in the style of the G2 in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chlau

chlau Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Very true. It's the best handling MFT body and I'll likely keep using that form factor (GH or OM too). Some grumble that it's a faux mini DSLR but I never understood the basis for that. Try shooting under stress when you're fumbling with the controls and you'll understand why that form remains the most pragmatic.

Don't sell the G2. Keep it arnd as your second body, convert to IR or give it to your wife. But don't sell it! ;)

15. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    When I was looking around at all the new cameras I held the G3 and instantly disliked the feel, it just doesnt fit in the hand properly, I liked the GF1 better overall, the GX1 would have been the only logical replacement, my main dilemna being I did not have a VF at the time.

Then the G2 came up brand new in the box at a bargain price, local store, local warranty, and its a lovely body to hold :wink: and I grabbed it, have not had a chance to get out with it but it just feels so natural to hold, supports the zoom lenses better and the EVF is a joy, I feel like I am back with my SLR gear albeit at a smaller lighter level. Controls are great, its like an advanced GF1 without the supreme compactness.

The biggest thing was the EVF, 180 bucks to get an LVF1 delivered to me for the GF1, or 270 for a brand new G2 body, was a no brainer!

16. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    G1 to G2

Dixeyk

+1 on the G2. I really like it also . Started with the G1 and really like the handling and of course the EVF. Would not like a camera without one.

But decided to sell the G1 ,as much as I liked it , I sold it for the G2 because of the one touch press control for the Mag View of the G2, as compared to the 2 touch of the G1.

Yes, really all in all for comfortable ,easy, handling and low cost, my favorite M43 Cameras.

Cheers Dennis.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thethirdcoast

thethirdcoast New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Put me down as another happy G2 owner. Panasonic did a terrific job of keeping the body compact while still providing enough grip to comfortably shoot macro and telephoto handheld. On top of that, the controls are logically arranged and feel solid. My only complaint is that the LCD could be a bit higher res and the UI could be a bit cleaner looking.

I've been tempted by the G3's sensor, but every time I look at the overhead view of its grip it strikes me as being very ergonomically compromised.

I am working on getting a GH2 body, but that's run into its own set of issues. I hope that Panasonic continues releasing bodies in the small dSLR form factor because there is plenty of room in the m43 family for the bodies to span from small dSLR to RF to barely larger than a point-and-shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The G2 is still my weapon of choice when handling a heavy lens like the 14-140mm. I also use it with the PanLeica 45mm macro for stability and the articulating screen. The G3 just doesn't have enough heft for me in those situations.

19. Rob917

Rob917 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    jacksonville, florida usa
    Robert
    +1 thethirdcoast
    You have articulated as well as the others the reasons I really like the G2
    I shoot mainly from 100-400 ISO using a 14-45mm and I have been pleased with the IQ.
    I have big hands but for the most part I find the G2 easy to use and the control placement makes sense to me.
    I shot Nikon before but it was very easy to pick up the control placement on the G2.
    I'm interested in the GH-2 or the OM-D next but when that happens I don't know. I'm not feeling a sense of urgency to replace the G2.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have found that despite the lack of IBIS the G2 is by far the best m43 body I have used for using legacy glass with. The larger grip and more substantial body works very well with adapted lenses and their adapters. About the only body I could see "upgrading" to is the GH2. I'm interested to see how the OMD does once it gets into people's hands.

What I find most interesting about the G2 is that it is a LOT better IQ wise than folks give it credit for. I have yet to find a situation where I felt the IQ of the G2 was inferior to my PEN cameras or where I felt I needed something better.

• Like Like x 2