1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G10 versus GF1. Need advice please.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Lumixy, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi folks :2thumbs:

My first :43: camera is a G10. I previously owned a Canon 500d but decided to sell it as I needed something more practical to bring around with me. I also have the intention on doing a bit of traveling.

For a long time I wanted to own a GF1. It's sexy and small and less obvious to thieves. I have never actually had one in my hands or used one but have read a lot of reviews. A lot of people on here love their GF1s too! I am going to buy a GF1 kit with optical viewfinder and 20mm lens. Before I do so I need a bit of advice please.

My understanding is that the G10 is the baby brother of the G2. The GF1 is the G1 in a smaller body with some GH1 functions. It's a lot of money buying the GF1 kit and I am a tad worried I might be going backwards.

Am I making the right move or should I go for a different :43: camera?

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Overall, all the products that you've mentioned all pretty much the same camera, just with different ergonomics. Same image at the end of the day. I'd say go to the GF2, which is basically a GF1 with updated controls. You're basically going to be spending money by moving laterally, either way.

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Have you thought about a Oly E-PM1 or E-PL3 (depending on pricing there)? With the add-on grip, think they would handle well, and you will get they will be fast for focus and overall performance. They look more P&S, but maybe that is a good thing for stealth or thieves?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I owned the G10 and currently own a G1 and a gf1. The images are all the same. I'd put the money towards lenses or wait for another generation of bodies unless you want a second, but it's not really an upgrade in image quality....more of a sidestep.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Beijing
    So i think you will find that the G10 has a much lower resolution viewfinder, akin to the accessory VF for the GF!. I don't think that you will be happy with this, so I would go for a new G2. Everything about it is better than the G10, and B&H has it clearance priced right now at a hard to beat price. Check it out.

But I digress, as you are indicating a desire for a GF1 style camera. No need to buy a kit, as you will have a lens or two that came with your G10, and all these lenses are interchangeable. I use a G2, a GH1, and a GF1, and each has it's strengths and weaknesses. If you are happy with using the lcd screen for viewing, and you want to go compact, get the GF1. As it has been displaced b the GF2 and GF3, very good prices can be had for the GF1.

In any case, you're shooting m4/3. That's a very good thing . . . :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    There absolutely no real world difference in any of the 1 series Panasonic cameras. I believe the G10 has no video (is that correct?). If so that's the only difference with the GF1. The G1 has video. The G2 has a touch screen. The GF2 is a G2 without a viewfinder). But all share a sensor.

However it may make sense to get the GF1 or GF2 with a 20mm as it may not be much more than a 20mm on it's own, and you can always sell the camera if you don't like it and keep the lens. There's also no problem with the newer Pens except you'll need to buy the 20mm separately.

What your considering is not a downgrade. It's more like a side step. A GF3 would be a functional downgrade though. Nothing wrong with that or with having two bodies in different designs for different uses. If you want to take a step up then you'll be looking at a G3 or whatever the next gF camera is.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  7. dmc

dmc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2011
    Beijing
    "There absolutely no real world difference in any of the 1 series Panasonic cameras. I believe the G10 has no video (is that correct?)."

I emphasize once again that there is a big difference in the resolution of the viewfinder on the G10 verses the other G models. It is not the same. You are correct that it has no video.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    If you are looking for a GF1 "style" camera, right now, the best option (imo) is the new Olympus E-P3, or possibly the G3 (as it very near in size to the GF1 + LVF1). If you don't want to spend that much, then I would still go with the GF1.
    Even with the GF2 you are loosing some of the GF1 features (flash level adjustment for example), and the GF3 drops many of those features all together.
    As far as overall usability, Panasonic just nailed it with the GF1. It is such a joy to use. With all the new releases in the GF series, I have only been consistently re-assured that I made the right choice with the GF1.
    Finally, with the E-P3 I see a camera that is a successor that I would be interested in (if I were in the market, which I am not, again, completely content with my GF1). The E-P3 finally looks like it has all the GF1 features and usability, plus the IBIS and increased processing power to bring the AF speeds up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    i think it's the other way around, the g1 had no vide0, and the g10 had it?

• Like Like x 1
  10. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I think the GF1 + 20mm is a good choice overall, given the same image quality of the first generation G series. Te only issue may be the lack of a VF.
    Otherwise a G2 is a good compromise and comes at excellent price. The only downside is you have to buy the20mm extra I think.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jerfo

jerfo Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2011
    I own a G10 and can safely say that it does indeed have video. It's the G1 that does not.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Finally got my GF1!!!

Thank you for all the advice and tips folks!

All the posts were important to me to make up my mind about decided which route to go.

I am happy to say I purchased a GF1 with 20mm f1.7 lens and optical viewfinder. I got it for a good price too and I recently bought a SGP skin on the site and it makes the camera look very cool and gives it more grip.

Still finding my bearings with the camera but am amazed with the results with the 20mm lens :eek: Very very happy :biggrin:

Thanks again folks!!!!:2thumbs:

13. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Great choices all around! I've been playing with a G3 and GH2 to see which one I want to keep, but I still look at my GF1 as a standard that has not been met since.

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Great choice. Enjoy your GF1