Panasonic G1 vs G2 ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jonkobeck, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Jonkobeck

Jonkobeck Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2010
    New York City
    Ok now this is really weird. I was doing some comparisons on

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Of the G1 vs the G2. Well, actually I was comparing the G1 to the Canon 5D. Now if you look at the first image in the comparison you will see that the details I her white lace shirt was very good at iso100' and the same highlights are blown out in the G1 image, which I kind of expected. Also the white balance seemed off compared to the canon.
    So just for laughs I plug the G2 in vs the 5D and now the two images are al,sot identical. No blown highlights and the IQ looks almost as good as the 5D.

I was always told that the G1 and the G2 had the exact same iq, so how can this be?

2. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Easy --the G2 is correctly exposed and the G1 isn't. With liveview, we've really got no good excuse for blowing highlights I would say! With this sort of image, It's always best to underexpose just a shade but not more than necessary otherwise you can struggle with shadow noise. You might get away with highlight recovery but don't rely on it --even with FF blown highlights can't always be recovered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.