1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G1 still decent?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, Dec 16, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a lens up for sale and trade in the buy/sell area and I thought I might use it as a way to get back into m43. I moved to NEX as it better suited my photographic needs and while that still holds true I am selling off some gear and I thought I might use this opportunity to pick up an m43 body or lens. I prefer Panasonic G bodies for their controls, UI and the articulating LCD (the main thing I wish my 5n had).

I have gotten a few offers thus far about G1's and I have never used one before. I assume it will be very similar to my G2 (my all time favorite m43 body) except for the thumb wheel becoming and index finger wheel and no video. The lack of video is not an issue as my 5n and X10 both have HD video. As I recall my G2 started to struggle with anything over ISO 800. Is that the same with the G1? Also what are folks general thoughts about the G1. My inclination is that it is perfectly fine for my uses. The m43 camera will probably end up with one native lens and live it's life as backup body.

2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Image quality is going to be virtually the same between the G2 and the G1. I had both for a month.

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    That's what I figured. Practically speaking there was no difference image wise between any of my previous m43 cameras (E-PL1, E-P1, E-PL2, E-P3, G2 and GF2) it wasn't until I picked up a GH2 and GX1 that I saw any difference and even then I thought the biggest differences in the cameras were in responsiveness and handling. It's good to know that the G1 will be the same. Paired up with a halfway decent prime and it'll be a nice "project" camera. I'd love to pick up another PL45 (love that lens) but I'm not inclined to invest that much in something that isn't my main system anymore and the O45/1.8 is a cheaper alternative but I really prefer lenses that give me the option to close focus.

4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I still have a G1 (and GF1) which get used. The thumbwheel placement is not ideal, I find it gets more easily accidentally activated than on my GH2. A little more care might be required with higher dynamic range scenes, if critical I have been known to meter the highlights with my Sekonic spotmeter and then come down 2 to 2.5 stops. That is a technique I would use on landscapes to preserve tone in the clouds on a contrasty day, often just at the start of a shooting session if light conditions are relatively stable. All in all I would say a camera that is still fit for purpose, particularly as a back up. Up to date and cutting edge is not necessary to produce meaningful photographs.

Barrie

5. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    You know my biggest reservation is the thumbwheel being on the front. I find the wheel placement (on the back) on the GF1, GF2, GH2, G2 and GX1 to be really nice. In fact, I always thought the G2 was the most comfortable m43 body I ever used. Maybe I'll hold out for a G2.

6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I've just had a look at a UK dealers website, secondhand prices for G1 bodies about £100-120, for G2 in the range £170-200.

Barrie

7. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    They seem to be going for a bit less on this side of the pond. I've been seeing G1's go for just a bit over $100 and even G3's for around $200.

8. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I would think so.

I have two G1s as my primary cameras. Image quality is just fine for uncropped or moderately cropped prints up to my printer's maximum 13" x 17.5" size My lenses together probably cost me ten times the price of a G1 body, so it's not a low cost setup overall.

I especially like the prominent right hand grip and small overall size compared to other, newer bodies. I also like the articulated LCD. I tried a GF2 at one point and abhorred the touch screen interface. I don't know what the big deal with the front wheel is. It works fine for me. So -- from a camera handling and feature point of view I am a happy guy.

Eventually I will replace these, primarily to get the advantage of the higher ISO performance of the newer sensors. I would also like to have a brighter EVF, as in bright sunlight I sometimes have to shade my eye with one hand in order to see the EVF well. But I am not in a big hurry.

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Yep, sounds pretty much like my G2 was. FWIW I had the EVF on my NEX 5n for a while (it's a really nice EVF) and you had to shade that thing as well. I never used the touch scree on my G2 and I loved the articulating LCD. I honestly don't know why more cameras don't have them.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I never used the GF2 touch either -- deliberately. There were a few times, though, when I bumped the switch on the back and my nose immediately reset the focus (or metering, don't remember) point to the lower right on the screen. This entailed way too much screwing around to fix. So I ditched it.

Agreed. For probably ten years all of my cameras have had them. Having overhead and low angle shooting options is just too important.

11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm with 100% on that one.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think you should buy a used G1 ASAP : the price is ridiculous, and they're not going to be around forever.
    Multifilm win too!

13. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    At the risk of sounding stupid...multifilm?

14. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    May refer to the "film modes" found on the G1, GF1, and G2, then dumped from the G3. IIRC, you can "bracket" with multiple film modes...?

• Like Like x 1
  15. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Oh right...I liked the film modes on the G2. I didn't realize they had been dropped. That was a handy feature.

16. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I think I'd prefer a G2 if only for the thumb wheel placement and the controls. I had two of them so I am super comfortable with the way the G2 handles. I don't see that there is any advantage to the G1 over the G2...unless someone here knows something to the contrary. That said, I could also go with a nice G1 as well.

I'm thinking the best native lens to pair it with would be either the Sigma 19 or 30. I have used the 30 on the NEX and always found it very similar in flavor to the P20/1.7. It's nice and sharp and has very nice rendering. It seems to be less sharp and less contrasty but I find the way it renders images very appealing. I am one of those folks that always found the Olympus 45/1.8 a bit clinical looking for my tastes so I like the Sigma. I realize I'm probably in the minority on this but I I have several older legacy lenses that are not razor sharp and have a bit lees contrast (like the Jupiter-8) and I find the images they produce very pleasing. The fact that the Sigma is around $150 new right now is a nice bonus.

17. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Dynamic black-and-white was much loved. Was available on the LX series as well.

18. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    You could even do a custom one right? I think that's how I tweaked the JPEG output on my G2 to get it more Olympus-like.

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Dude, just get the G2 with the Sigma. You know you want to.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vftsai/8168543434/" title="My cool blue G2 by Vincent-F-Tsai, on Flickr"> 8168543434_c1404ca350_c. "800" height="600" alt="My cool blue G2"></a>

20. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm trying to sell or trade my Pen-40/1.4 for it. Believe me, If someone came by with a blue or red G2 I'd make that trade in a second. So far folks are coming with G1's instead. Whichever way I go the Sigma is probably the one I'll grab. That's a Sigma 30 right? I used the 30 on my NEX where the EFL is 45 (which I liked a lot) but on m43 it's a 60 EFL. The 19 would give me 38 EFL which I might like a bit more. I have seen folks compare the 19 and the P20 and mention how much sharper and more contrasty the P20 was...on the NEX I thought the Sigma 30 was every bit as sharp as the P20 (maybe more so).