1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G1 or Olympus E-P1 ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by RaZZ3R, Jul 4, 2013.

1. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    So my Panasonic G2 died on me about 6 months ago and now I have the opportunity (*cash*) to get back into photography (I feel like I've been dying all those months missing all those shots). Now I have found 2 use cameras at a very good and low price (still dreaming of OM-D) and those are:

Panasonic G1 Body = 125 Euros

Olympus E-P1 Body = 135 Euros + 2 extra non brand batteries

... so about the same price.

The issue is I'm not sure how good is the E-P1 screen (since is really low resolution) because I will use, mostly, with legacy lenses and here in Sicily the sun burns, almost, through your skin with that much light and the RAW IQ of the Panasonic G1 seems to be better (I shoot only RAW). Also the E-P1 has better high ISO performance.

Now with Panasonic G1 is almost the same as my G2 (I will have to accustomed myself with the dial being on the front and Q Menu button on top but that shouldn't be much of an issue) is very tempting but I would really like IBIS for those legacy lenses but I would miss the EVF (a god send feature against this scorching light that I get here specially in the summer), the higher resolution screens for better judgement of focus accuracy if I would go for E-P1 instead. But the bigger grip would make it easier to hold an 270mm f 2.8 and 400mm f 3.5 equivalent legacy lenses.

I like to shoot macro a lot (with a nifty fifty and macro tubes, and I would like to buy a bellow or a slide duplicator to try to get better results) and IBIS and high ISO would help me a lot (to get higher shutter speed for more sharpness and DoF) but so would a flipelly swivelly screen with higher resolution and better grip. And I would like to give more tries to "shoot for the stars" now that I see clouds once a month in the night sky.

Would someone help me with some comments about easy of use with legacy lenses and IQ of this two cameras in comparison ?

2. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    Hi mate! Hows it going? I cant tell you how good the g1 sensor is, cause i didnt own one. BUT i did use (and still do) an e-p1. The LCDscreen is crap. But i love it. Manual focusing is harder ofcourse it doesnt have the evf the g1 has.

If you take a lot of macros i suppose you use a tripod? (That negates te ibis that the e-p1 has) and the G1's swivel LCD will be something very useful.

My vote goes to the G1!

Whichever you get, though, im sure youll have a lot of using them!

3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    Yes, G1 is a G2 without video and touchscreen. On the G1's side, it has an independent card door and a drive mode lever.

4. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    True ... that's why I went for G2 3 years ago ... and still didn't used video all that much, but I did find the touch screen useful sometimes (when I'm on a tripod, not personally ... I'm to heavy :tongue: ). I do love the drive mode lever and the second AF lever ... but even that I didn't used it that much because of the low FPS rate and the limitation of small buffer for RAW (I could never get more than 4 RAW's ... maybe 5 if the scene wasn't very complex or with difficult multiple light sources).

... also I prefer to use hand held macro because it gives me more flexibility in composition opportunities and faster responsiveness for changing action of the buzzing little world ... but I would love to try with a Joby GorillPod :2thumbs:

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have both but they are now mainly in my camera collection. The E-P1 makes me smile as a piece of design work -- the build, the retro style. But I vastly prefer the G1.

Overall, I've come to value Panasonic's ergonomics much more than Olympus in the micro four thirds arena. Except for my "collector" E-P1, all my Olympus bodies are sold and I have all Panasonic including a "collector" red G1.

I also have a GH1, a GX1 and a G5. I sold my E-PL5, E-PM1, and OM-D E-M5 all for ergonomics not for image quality.

6. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    Now that's an awful lot of cameras for one person :wink: ... and I do agree that Panasonic's G cameras have the best ergonomics, I would even say better then a lot of the entry level AND mid level DSLR's (a hell of alot more controls and features then Nikon D3200, Canon 1100D & 100D or Sony A37). My first REAL camera was a Pentax K200D and I loved it to death ... until it died on me after one year (bought it used and the sensor kept growing dead pixel to the point that my pictures had more speckles than a ginger girl can have) and the rich full of buttons and dials of G2 makes me not have a slight bit of interest in the likes of GF's and E-PL's. But I do love the features of OM-D E-M5 ... more so than G6 or GH3 because of (better) weather sealing and IBIS and most of all *sounds of fanfare* tah dadada: Live Bulb + Histogram (like the one on E-P5) ... a thing that would make my long exposures and astrophotography attempts a really even more pleasant experience.

... but I think I got side tracked to much with my rambling about by now.

7. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Don't get me wrong: the E-M5 is a great camera with some killer features -- it's just that I like using the G's more. It's really personal and not an objective thing at all.

There are things from the E-M5 I sometimes miss having -- but not enough to go back to one. We'll see what the E-M6 brings, lol...

By the way, has the E-M5's weather sealing been determined to be better than the GH3? Measured some way? I hadn't heard that. How is it better? Neither conforms to any standard for weatherproofing so I'm curious how that's been determined.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    No question : buy the G1 because you will be using manual focus and the EVF is FAR superior than any LCD.

9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

G1 over the EP1. The G1 has an EVF.

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I would never come up with this question for myself. My minimum requirements for a camera are (1) eye-level viewfinder and (2) articulated LCD. From what you say, these would seem to be critical for you, too.

Right now I am shooting two G1s and a Canon G12. I have stayed with the G1s at the expense of some low light performance because the physical ergonomics of the body are so good and most of the controls I want are directly accessible via knobs and switches.

A pair of OM-Ds is probably in my future but it galls me that I will have to scab on some kind of grip with additional expense and bulk to correct its inadequate physical design. The advantages will be the IBIS and better low light performance.

11. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I don't think there is or will be a scientific or standardized comparison of weather sealing ... but Olympus have claimed that E-M5 has the same weather sealing as the legendary E-5 and you can search all over the internet (but I think you know this already) that Olympus makes the best weather sealed cameras and lenses and only Pentax can reach to that level of weather sealing. And I don't think that Panasonic's first attempt to be as good as Olympus's or Pentax's.

And just one example of how good Olympus E-5's weather sealing is:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfxUHGziwgg]E5 in Iceland - YouTube[/ame]

... and I do hope that E-M6 will be my next camera because I do love the Micro Four Thirds format in size and weight (and IQ will get there someday).

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The G1 and the EP1 (actually all the way through the EP3) used the exact same sensor.

The big difference back then was the reaction speed of the camera. The EP1 was a slug - shutter lag, horrible AF (not that it matters to you), even going through the menus was slow in comparison to the Panasonic models.

All that said, I think my recommendation would be to save up another month and get a G3. WAY better sensor, articulated screen, smaller, faster AF ... Better in practically every way for another $50

13. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    It may be the same sensor but the processor are very different and that CAN make a difference in recording information and processing it be it JPEG or RAW. Olympus has better JPEG and Panasonic has RAW ... and so far Panasonic has an history of ineffective processor against noise (from DxO and DPReview) compared to Olympus or other mirrorless cameras (same issue with Samsung NX).

I wish I could wait but I have so many money problems in the next 12 months that I have to choose either one year without a camera or buy one cheap and used to use until the next one.

So far in Italy a G3 costs 350 euros and G5 450 euros ... sooooo stil out of my budget.

14. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Perhaps so in the consumer arena -- but Panasonic's professional video gear has been available with weather sealing and they are not rookies at it. No real way to tell in the absence of genuine testing to standards by either Olympus OR Panasonic.

15. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Having owned a bunch of Olympus and Panasonic of various generations I totally agree. Especially with the early models like the G1, GH1, and G2 the jpg engine is simply crap at times. It puts gray lines into color textures, and tends to make higher ISO shots have a yellow cast.

Later stuff not so bad but I shoot RAW anyway so it's not important to me as much.

16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I find that the G5's JPEGs look fine - certainly good enough that one need not absolutely use RAW to get good results with it. I have no experience with earlier Panasonic M43 cameras, so I can't say how bad the JPEGs were in the earlier cameras

17. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    My vote goes to the G1.
    It was my first micro 4/3 camera, and I still have it along side with a G5.
    Only main complaint I have about it is the fact that does not allow to use above ISO 400 without significant noise, specially in low light situations.
    But the G1 is an all around camera and I've used it for almost every type of photography, including macro.

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    No argument that they are different, and that Oly did better with high ISO noise than Panny, but in actual fact, both pretty much sucked >ISO400 with the first generation sensor. The differences in RAW are so small as to be insignificant.

If your money issues are THAT tight, the smart thing would be to save the money and forgo the camera.

19. RaZZ3R

RaZZ3R Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2011
    Italy
    Ovidiu
    I wish I could ... ok ... I will try to make it as simple as possible but I'm pretty sure then there aren't a lot of people who understand how I feel.

I work in house maintenance (paint interior, exterior, repair houses in general) and I haven't work a lot lately because of lack of money of people to get there things fixed, once I worked at least 3 weeks per month but now I work at most one week. But at least I don't have a family to feed. But my sister wants to come on vacation with his boyfriend, and then I have to go back to my home country to get my documents updated at the end of the year, and next year I have a hole lot of things I have to help my family with so I can't to a lot of things that I want because they have "bigger" and more "important" needs then mine ... and I just can't deny them help.

Not the thing is that for about six months I haven't taken a picture and every time that I'm out I see something that I like and I'm reminded that I'm cameraless ... and that depresses the **** out of me to the point that I haven't got out of the house (except for work) in months ... and sooner or later I will start to lose interest in photography if I continue to do nothing. Now I don't expect anyone to understand this (mostly people will think its bull****) but sparing 150 euros for this would be a better then waiting a year for something that I might don't give a **** by then or some other problem will arouse (in which I'm sure that it will, thats how life is).

20. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I think from the G3 on they are pretty much competitive. My GX1 isn't bad and my G5 does very well also.

But I don't shoot JPG enough to really care much, lol.

And I vote for the G1 simply because it handles better and has a decent viewfinder.