1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G X 14-42 opinions?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by santiclaws, Jul 31, 2012.

1. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    I'm thinking about picking this lens up because of its versatile zoom and pancake form factor, but the reports of serious blurring problems at certain shutter speeds are making me awfully nervous. Anyone using this lens want to chime in with some feedback, particularly if it is on an Oly body (I'm going to be using it on an E-PL2)?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The problem isn't specific to Olympus bodies. I saw it on the GF3 (two different samples in fact). The major difference is simply no optical stabilization.

DH

3. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
  4. santiclaws

santiclaws Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2012
    Found the loooong thread over on dpreview on this lens. I think I'll stay away, the possible hassle involved with returning/rebuying in order to find a good copy is simply not worth it.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I bought mine used from a member who had tested it for the blur problem, so I didn't have to worry about that. If I hadn't, I would have purchased it on Amazon because they make returns/exchanges very easy. It's hard to verify, but I wonder if there is a point after which new lenses did not suffer from this problem.

As for the lens itself, I've found it to be sharper than early reviews, rivaling my 14-45mm. Given the size of the lens, I will likely be unloading my normal 14-42mm and 14-45mm lenses (of course, having the 14-140mm when size is less of an issue helps with that, too.) It really is a very unique lens; making my GX1 into a G1X-type package. I definitely don't regret the purchase, but it could be an initial hassle to get a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Do you happen to know if your lens was originally taken apart from a kit? or if it was bought separately.

7. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Sorry to jump in, that particular copy was from my GX1 kit bought in January.

I liked the lens a lot while I used it, it was my first lens, and for a while my only lens between the 7-14 and the 45mm. It's really a great lens, for maximum sharpness don't shoot wide open 14, and it's probably sharper at 40 than 42mm.

I would have no problem buying another from Amazon either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I just bought one from Amazon for $275. It works perfectly on my G3 and I have tried to cause the blurring problem. It is sharper than I expected and AF is smoking fast. I will be at my daughters house next weekend and will try it on her E-PL1.

Lee

9. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I use it on a Panasonic. I use it as a compact day time zoom and it seems pretty good. I haven't done detailed comparisons but it looks ok
    p232099388-4.

It's just amazing how compact it is on a smaller body. the way you can just walk around with it hanging on your wrist like a little compact camera is worth it, for me, a possible occasional softness.

10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Not to hijack the thread; more of a side question: anyone know how to get the lens to retract without turning the camera off or waiting for it to go into sleep mode? I went to change it when it was extended and discovered (not surprisingly) that it stays extended when you do that.

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA