1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G vs GH Series

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by grandrapids9, Oct 28, 2013.

1. grandrapids9

grandrapids9 New to Mu-43

Oct 24, 2013
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Dan
    Hi, I have a G1 and looking at the GH series maybe a GH! or GH2 used from eBay. Question, what is the difference in the GH series to justify the price.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Great Video

3. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I have a G6 and am considering the next iteration of the GH. The things that I like about the GH3 over the G6 are the weather sealed body and larger size. Other than that, it has an improved sensor, more video capability, and a few other small features. There's a good video on YouTube comparing G6 and GH3.

4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think you'll find the GH2 a significant improvement over the G1. The GH1 probably not so much unless you want to do video. But the GH2 has a better sensor, better ergonomics, obviously much better video capability. Probably noticeably better AF, although I don't remember the GH1's AF well enough to be sure.

The GH2 is pretty much superior to the GH1 in every respect. Some test show slightly more noise and very slightly less DR at high ISO, but I owned both at the same time, briefly, and you'd have to look very closely. But the GH2 has better ergos, better video, better AF, and doesn't suffer the banding in low light that the GH1 was prone to.

The GH3 is superior in pretty much every respect, again. The only downsides to the 3 are price, size & weight (but the handling is well worth the extra size IMHO), and some find the EVF to be difficult to see clearly. It took me a bit to get used to positioning my eye exactly centered, but I don't find the EVF to be an issue in normal use. Other than that, it's got lower noise, higher DR, better jpeg output, much better C-AF, better build quality and weather sealing, and more. Oh, and even more video capabilities, if that's important to you. The ergonomics are excellent, at least for me, one of the best cameras I've used in terms of handling. I could pick a few nits, but no camera is perfect. It's quite a bit more expensive than a used GH2, of course.

6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I am originally a long time G1 user. Last November I picked up a new GH2 and use the GH2 now all the time. I still think the ergonomics of the G1 were better but the GH2 has a better sensor (16mp vs 12mp) and Video capable, while the G1 has no ability to record video. Also I love the Multi-aspect sensor and the GH2. It is the last camera that has that ability without sacrificing angel of view.
    Since having the GH1 I realize that I do not really record video that much and could have never bought the camera and been fine with using my G1 another few years.

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm curious. In what way do you find the ergos of the G1 superior to the GH2? I only had a G1 briefly, but I thought the GH2 was an improvement ergonomically.

8. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    And much longer battery life, 1 battery in GH3 can easily last as long as other M43 body with 2 batteries.

9. byegad

byegad Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Am I alone in being totally bemused by Panasonic's model designations? I'm probably going to buy (yet) another camera early next year and, being an Olly user have looked long and hard at all of the E-M5 and E-M1 reviews over the last few weeks. The GX7 came up in some of those reviews and I'm tempted.

BUT

I have found at least three iterations of the GX7, but Panasonic's site makes trawling through the model spec's hard work and surely there is an easy key to what C or K after the GX7 actually means.

As things stand I'll be buying another Olly. Not because Panasonic make bad cameras, but because I want to know, before I buy, exactly what the camera will, and will not, do!

10. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    The model number (GX7) is the camera. The letters after it designate whether it is a kit, what is included in the kit and which country it is for.

11. byegad

byegad Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Thanks for the prompt reply arad85. So a GX7 body is a GX7 body, is a GX7 body. Good to know. I can look at the offered kit, or body only with confidence after this piece of information. :thumbup:

12. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    byegad,

One thing you will have to look out for is which market the particular GX7 is meant for, PAL or NTSC. The camera will be one or the other. This will be most important for video in that the PAL version will have 25p 50i, and 50p framerates while the NTSC market version will have 30p, 60i, 24p, and 60p.

For the OP, finding a used GH2 would let him switch between the two standards with any of several "firmware modifications" (hacks) using PTools. If his primary focus would be video the GH2 would be his best option unless he was willing to go the price of the GH3.

I converted over to m4/3 from Canon APS-C for the much improved sharpness and detail of the GH2, then replaced those with a pair of GH3's earlier this year.