Panasonic G@ versions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by walky, Sep 13, 2012.

1. walky

walky New to Mu-43

Sep 10, 2012
    I am a new arrival in this forum. I was looking for this camera at Amazon and found this: (hope it shows the cameras) Panasonic G2

I wonder why they show such a price difference for the same camera, are there two versions?

I like to experiment and I am a fan of body beauty (cameras). Soem people like lenses I like their bodies. I am looking for a 4/3 camera, though I already have two DSLRs and a few point and shoots that I can use for AP.

I like the lens 14-42 for it would allow to go wide beyond what any lens I have now except for my extra wide 8mm.

-- Question #2 why is there no forum for the Sony NEX?
    -- Question #3 I was told you cannot use a intervalometer with some of them (NEX for example), how about he ones you have?

Thank you all.

2. ChipThome

ChipThome Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2011
    For starters, the G2 was replaced by the G3 and the G3 has just been replaced by the G5. So that body you are looking at is two versions old, creating those wild pricing swings.

The other thing, a NEX board here wouldn't make sense as NEX is not a Micro 4/3 format camera.
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The sister site,, has a NEX forum.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Wait is not a Sony Nex board?
  5. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    By the way, m4/3 has crop factor of 2, so that 14mm will only give you field of view equal to 28mm in 35mm sensor :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. walky

walky New to Mu-43

Sep 10, 2012
    Cool, I thought the NEX was... Humm! Since I haven't followed this type of camera enough,don't know much about them, so I appreciate your clarifications. Not embarassed by my lack of knowledge :eek: either.

Thanks a lot. Will check the newest models and would love to hear about your ideas about the best on the market.
  7. walky

walky New to Mu-43

Sep 10, 2012
    OK, so that is bad.
  8. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
  9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    The other sister site is talk, which would be more appropriate than for nex related.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. walky

walky New to Mu-43

Sep 10, 2012

I am kicked around from forum to forum... Already gave up on the NEX.

But thanks
  11. walky

walky New to Mu-43

Sep 10, 2012
    28mm is not 14 mm

cause... 28mm is not 14 mm
  12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    You didn't say what kind of DSLR you've got. If it is an APS-C sensor size, then the 14-42mm kit lens is basically the same as an 18-55mm APS-C kit lens in terms of equivalent field of view (i.e. they will look/have the same zoom range for your final images).
  13. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Also, keep in mind that there is a crop factor of 1.5 on the NEX. So the 18-55 NEX kit lens isn't equivalent to 18mm on a 35mm full frame system. It is actually equivalent to a 27.5 to 80-ish something zoom lens. The 16-50 kit zoom is equivalent to a 24 to 75 equivalent.

Of course there are good wide angle zooms for mFT, like the Panasonic 7-14 or the Olympus 9-18 (full frame equivalent is 14-28 and 18-36, respectively.)

One of the reasons for the G2 price variations is that some are kits, one is a body only with no lens, and all are discontinued and were replaced with the G3, which has been replaced by the G5. Since these have discontinued you would think they would be cheap, but I guess people still want them, and the supply of new bodies and kits is limited. As someone who owns one, they are still nice bodies and work well, but they are a couple generations old.
  14. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    And why is that a problem?
  15. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Don't you think this guy is a bot?

Look at all of his posts, they make no sense. He sounds like a bad google translator.
  16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hmm that is a somewhat odd posting history. Something to keep in mind if anything goes up FS..