1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic G or VF2 for Viewfinder?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by chrism_scotland, Jul 17, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Quick question, I've recently got into m4/3 with the purchase of an EP1, its a lovely camera and it really amazes me but sometimes (not often) I do wish I had an EVF so it seems to be that the options are either to pickup a used G1/G2 body or to invest in an EP2 with VF2 viewfinder.

I would be adding to my kit rather than selling the EP1 as I doubt I'd get much for it anyway but it seemed to be that a used G1 for £200 is a better bet than paying £350 for an EP2 and then another £200 for the EVF...

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    To be honest, I'd get the G2 for $300 rather than the VF2 for $250 (or close to that). I mean, you get an electronic viefinder with a whole damn body attached. JMHO, of course :smile:

3. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Yeah thats what I've been thinking, £200 for a new VF2 or £200-£250 for a G1/G2

Is there much difference between the G1 and G2?

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    G2 has a touchscreen and a video mode. Straight-up comparison here:

Panasonic DMC-G1 vs DMC-G2

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Yup, you are correct but you can buy a vf-2 down the road, can't do that with IBIS...depends on the individual but if you use legacy glass, or even the panny 20,14, and macro you might want stabilization. Im for a modular system where I can add what I need at the time, can't do it with panny- it's either there to start or not. Not saying oly is better, just maybe a little more flexible depending on your wants and needs.

6. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    A third suggestion: pick up an E-PL1 and VF-2. The E-PL1 stacks up remarkably well against the E-P2 and has a built-in flash that can be used alongside the viewfinder. While the flash is relatively low power, it is very well implemented, can be pulled back for bounce and can trigger remote flashes.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    My own experience with an E-P1, E-PL1, E-PL2 (all with IBIS) and G2 (no IBIS) is that I have not encountered a situation so far where I felt like my G2 could not get an image because of a lack of IBIS. In fact, the handling is so superior oin the G2 that if I am going to shoot legacy glass I'll use the G2 over my E-P1 (that I still have) every time.

Olympus makes fine cameras with terrific color and an outstanding JPEG engine. The E-P and E-PL series Olympus cameras are not significantly better (or worse) than the competing Panasonic cameras and when you have to add $200+ for an EVF the Panasonic G series cameras start to look like real bargains. When you consider that the a camera like the G1 or G2 has a flip out/rotating LCD, an EVF that is easily as good as the VF2 and very VERY ergonomics and handling then you should at least give them a look.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    How about getting a used GH1? If you're going to give up the marvelous Olympus image processor, why not upgrade to the marvelous Panasonic GH sensor? :) If you're going to ditch the compact, modular form of the PEN, why not get the best of the mini-DSLR form in the GH series?

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's a terrific option as well although while the GH1 has the better sensor the G1/G2 are no slouches. The G2 also has video, touch screen and IMHO a slightly better control layout. If cost is an issue the G1 can be had in mint condition for CHEAP and the G2 isn't that much more.

The G2 gets zero respect in the m43 world but ask someone that has one...they are also a terrific camera.

10. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Yep! I've got a G2, and I don't think I'll be giving it up anytime soon. That being said, it still does leave some to be desired (IBIS!!!!). Someone else in this thread has said that they never had a situation where they needed IBIS with their G series camera. Unfortunately, that is NOT the same for me. I often take shots where it comes out slightly soft, and looking at the shutter speed I shot and focal length I KNOW that it would not have been an issue with my E-PL1, or E-P1.

I just recently sold off my E-PL1, though, as it just wasn't getting used enough. I guess you have to decide how often you run into those situations where you need the IBIS. For me, it wasn't as much to justify keeping the E-PL1 around.

With my recent investment into more and more legacy glass, however, I likely will be picking up an E-PL3 whenever they are released. With the tilt screen, it's getting closer to my ideal m4/3 camera (just need a built in EVF).

But even with the E-PL3, it won't replace my G2. After seeing what the G3 is, I'm more than happy to stay with the G2 also. The only camera I'd replace it with right now would be the GH2, but I can't justify the additional cost when the biggest improvement is in video.

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think it's possible to never notice the affects of IS, but that would require that you shoot at really fast shutter speeds all the time (or shoot with a tripod, of course). A person could always adjust their camera settings with high ISO and/or fast lenses to prevent IS from having any noticeable affect, but under the limitations of current camera technology, I would say that you'd be degrading image quality in some way or another unless you only shoot in a brightly lit studio or bright sunny days. Or if you are shooting action shots, which would mean you are using a high shutter speed to freeze subject motion and IS won't help you at all.

12. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I think that is the best choice. Spending 250 EURO for a VF2 is what makes me not buying Olympus.
    I bought a G2 and am very happy with it.:thumbup:

13. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to keep an eye out for a good used G1/G2, I'm enjoying using legacy glass so I'd rather spend a little on another body to use with them as I'm saving so much not buying native lenses!

14. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've been reading a bit about the Panny EVF and some have suggested that tearing is really bad when panning, is this true?

15. Purely a personal opinion, but I treat the EVF on my GH1 as emergency-use only as I find it uncomfortable to look through. It does tear although I can't say how it compares to other EVFs in that regard. I don't find it to be any improvement as an aid to using MF lenses and my E-P1 remains my preferred body for MF lenses. The biggest appeal of the G body to me was the articulated screen and improved response times, not the EVF.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I got a G1 body from the forums for £135, that's what I suggest you try too Chris. (Although if you already use good 4/3rds lenses you might be better getting the G2 for better autofocus compatibility with the adapter).

Once you've experienced using a good EVF then you have more of a viewpoint on getting the equally good Olympus EVF with a compatible body : something I've not yet done since the combination hasn't yet come down to sensible money (in my opinion).

• Like Like x 1
  17. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've only really found an issue when the sun is very bright, manual focusing my 24mm and 50mm lenses is much easier than I had imagined on a screen, part of me thinks I should just look at getting a Delkin shade rather than a G1/G2 - I seem to remember not liking the EVF on them very much when I looked into them a year or so ago ,will need to go and have a play at the weekend.

Part of me thinks I should just pickup a Panny 14/20mm so I can at least use that if I find the sun is too bad to manual focus.

18. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Actually just saw the pricing for the EPL-3 in the UK - £430 with either the 14-42 or 17mm lenses and £110 for the VF3 Viewfinder, think I might wait for that!

19. winrow3745

winrow3745 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Really? That sounds quite interesting. I am currently debating whether to take the plunge with the e-pl1 or wait a short while.
    Where did you see that price list?

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    £430 sounds do-able (directly competitive with G3 body-onlys), and with even fleabay VF-2s at around £180 ... perhaps the VF-3 needs a good tryout.
    Dammit why don't any of the shops stock the gear?!
    Why don't we get the brown G3?
    Why aren't e-pL2s getting MUCH cheaper?