Panasonic G-M1 Wins Gear of the Year, Part 2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DaveA, Nov 20, 2013.

1. DaveA

DaveA New to Mu-43

2. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    According to a poster who got one early from Asia, that is deserved. Panasonic has truly reinvented themselves as a company.

Just compare the apathy they drew for the (de)evolution of the GF series, to the enthusiasm the GM1 is getting!

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have no personal interest in the camera, but I think it's fabulous that m4/3 now runs over a huge range from the G-M1 to the GH3 and EM-1. Combine the broad choice in body size/style with the fabulous spectrum of lenses and the m4/3 world really shines. If only Oly and Panny would spend a little money and time trying to sell them here in the U.S....

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They need to get better at selling, not necessarily spend more money on selling - their margins are slim as it is. Fundamentally they, with the help of vendors, need to get it out there that for the average consumer who wants better pictures than their phone/compact, the best answer is not just DSLR!

5. Funnily enough it was the downsizing and removal of controls in the GF cameras that caused that series' star to fade in enthusiasts' eyes. The answer to appease that crowd is now clear: leatherette!

6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    The real strength of m43 that people ignore: Diversity and flexibility. Pancake zooms to fixed 2.8 zooms to crazy Speedboosted lenses. On any body size you want, between APS-C DSLRs in size to small versions of a film SLR to something comparable to a near pocketable point and shoot.

Except Olympus and Panasonic are incompetents when it comes to treating the US as an actual market they can profit from and provide cameras to. Oh well, not going to change much here if they keep thinking we don't want their products when we do, enough to drive 30 miles to find a store to try out a camera body.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Fair enough, not the same thing.

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I think you are onto something Nic!!

Although the leatherette didn't help the XF1 until the prices got slashed recently.

9. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I think that is an oversimplification of the events. When Panasonic no longer pursued the enthusiast market and only made simple gf models enthusiasts were rightly angered.

Early supporters of the M4/3 cameras who wanted an upgraded gf1 were left standing. The fact that you now have a true successor to the GF1, the GX7 if not the Olympus Omds allows room for the truly pocketable m4/3 niche.

I realize the leatherette comments are in jest but I think it bears repeating what actually occurred and why GF1 owners got angry.

I can hardly believe the state of M4/3 now. I always thought it would improve but man has it really changed. To think what the Ep-1 was like and the E-M1, GH3 and Gx7 are now

10. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I think that is an oversimplification of the events. When Panasonic no longer pursued the enthusiast market and only made simple gf models enthusiasts were rightly angered.

Early supporters of the M4/3 cameras who wanted an upgraded gf1 were left standing. The fact that you now have a true successor to the GF1, the GX7 if not the Olympus Omds allows room for the truly pocketable m4/3 niche.

I realize the leatherette comments are in jest but I think it bears repeating what actually occurred and why GF1 owners got angry.

I can hardly believe the state of M4/3 now. I always thought it would improve but man has it really changed. To think what the Ep-1 was like and the E-M1, GH3 and Gx7 are now

11. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012