Panasonic future high sensitivity sensor

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by redalien, Feb 4, 2013.

1. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
  2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
  3. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    And another 2 years before the raw converters get round to supporting it ... :)
  4. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Wow. I got my GX1 last year, assuming they take two years to put it into production, just the right timing for me to change camera :)))

Well, M43 is always about tradeoff of -
    - smaller body, smaller lense but compromise in Depth of Field and DR and high ISO performance (though this gap is narrower with Sony sensors).

So what, if this sensor is greater than the current Sony sensor in OMD and GH3, then this truly will be a superb camera genre.

Just left Depth of Field compromise, well those Nokton lens has F0.95 and F1.1, but it is too costly and if I am not mistaken manual focus only.
    If Panasonic and Olympus can produce F0.9 lens at reasonable price, this camera will have no compromise at all I guess.

And if you need to capture low light handheld and huge depth of field with everything in focus, then it is even a greater tool than those bigger sensors camera.
    All the while, in this type of situation, Full Frames need to reduce the Aperture, and increase ISO, so even though the ISO performance is good, it negates the advantage in real world.
  5. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    I did read from one of the websites that Panasonic also has 21 items patented in Japan, and 16 patents applications worldwide for this breakthrough technology.

I would imagine that this looks like a real deal based on all those patents, and must be some promising breakthrough. And to have Panasonic's official announcement, I assume they are pretty confident of translating the result to actual real world production.
    I have not been following camera news all this while, so I do not know how Panasonic deals with new products, but it seems they take quite abit longer than the competition to bring new models to the market.

Lucky thing Panasonic is not in mobile phone business..hehe as they are too slow to bring new stuff.
  6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    How did you come to the conclusion that Panasonic is slower in bringing new products to the market.
    Regarding the new sensor they must bring it into the market ASAP, their top model the GH3 is their only model not using Panasonic sensor. If they will not bring this new technology to market their future camera will have two sensor option:
    1. Use an old outdated sensors and sell for cheap.
    2. Use external sensor (Sony) while losing the low BOM (Bill Of material) advantage.

If this new sensor will come to market, they will be able to have the good of two options, low BOM with high sale price. This option brings the holly grail of high margins.
  7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Indeed it seems that selecting a Sony sensor for the GH3 was a way to gain some R&D time.

Generally speaking, it does seem that there's not much that can be done with conventional technologies, in order to significantly increace DR and ISO perfomance. Perhaps we could have a 20Mp :43: sensor with the same performance as in the OM-D/GH3 sensor, but that's that. "Clever" sensor technology (like this one) is the only way to improve things considerably.

Since Sony has filled similar patents in the past, I'm pretty sure we will see actual cameras implementing them, probably within 2014. I hope Panasonic fires up the competition with their technology, sooner rather than later.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012

Its just a wild baseless guess with limited knowledge in camera world. I made the assumption based on a few "complaints" in some forums that Panasonic takes too long to bring new product to the market after announcement of product launch, example new camera models.

Even though its a different thing when comparing new model launch vs applying new sensor technology, I just assume they may take awhile. Of course, I or maybe most of us do not know what is the stage of development now, whether its conceptual, first tests, or near completion for production.

I am going to make another wild guess, which will make alot of you guys happy if its true, is that the reason why GX2 is delayed so long, because Panny wants it to be more pro and put in the latest and best sensor, and it will be the mirco color splitters sensor?
  9. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    LOL! Its a paper that was published in a technical journal. That means they have created a prototype that works. Hard to say when a working product will be available for purchase - could be a year, could be a few years, could be they run into issues trying to mass produce it and meanwhile another group discovers a different method that can be implemented faster and/or cheaper and this technique is abandoned.

Don't hold your breath.
  10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Panasonic which is a power house in sensor development is lagging behind Sony.
    In order to close the gap or pass Sony they need new sensors.
    This technology looks very promising because it touches one layer in the sensor by making it more efficient. It might be that you are right and it will be hard to produce the micro spiltters. But and it is a big but even if the yield in this process is low, for cameras with low production volume, such as the GH3 it will be feasible to use such a sensor.
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    You have proof the GH3 sensor isn't a Panasonic, or is Sony? I've seen lots and lots of speculation, but no actual evidence either way.
  12. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    wishful thinking if it will be on the GX2. :biggrin:
  13. Stephen

Stephen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 2, 2013
    The development may be slow due to the enormous financial losses announced by Panasonic this week, along with other Japanese companies like Sony. They need new products, but the sensor change is a major item, and new models based on existing developments are more likely.