1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Freebies arrived and transformed the camera

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Sootchucker, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    I purchased my GH3 new in late June, and here in the UK at least, it was being sold with a promotion of a free Panasonic battery Grip and a free Leica 25mm F1.4 lens. Quite a deal as the combined price for the pair of them isn't far short of of what I paid for the camera in the first place !

Anyway, after waiting what seemed like an eternity, a small package turned up yesterday from Panasonic UK. My first impression of the grip are very positive. It feels very nice in the hand and on the GH3 makes the handling very similar to my Nikon DSLR's, albeit still quite a bit smaller and lighter. Panasonic could certainly teach the other camera manufacturers a thing or two about ergonomics, and the camera with Grip now feel just perfect. The mirroring of the 3 "ISO, WB and EV" buttons on the bottom of the grip is genius. As the GH3 already has just about the most impressive battery life of any M43 camera on the market today, having two of the suckers on board all the time should mean for days out shooting wildlife or landscapes, I don't have to worry about battery life or take any more spares or my car cigarette socket type battery charger. Furthermore, immediately I've noticed that hand holding my 100-300 at the longer end seems much more comfortable, and in my brief testing, I seem to be getting sharper images, (and as I shoot hand-held most of the time, that's big benefit for me).

As for the Leica 25mm F1.4 - wow...just wow. I never thought I would see that sort of rendering and bokeh on anything smaller than a full frame DSLR. On my Nikon system, both my 85mm and 50mm both really need stopping down to about F1.8-F2 to really sharpen up sufficiently and reduce the amount of CA (which is quite bad on the 50mm). My Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art lens is much better in that respect but still benefits from a slight close down to F1.6-F1.8. The Leica however is razor sharp at F1.4 ! Sure there's some CA in area of bright transitions, but that seems to go by F2 and in any case CA is fully correctable in Lightroom or PS6. It's just that it's so sharp right off the bat and focusses deadly accurately. I'm sure some of the softness on my Nikon's is down sometimes to less than perfect focussing at their wafer thin DOF for these apertures ?

Some people I have seen have complained it's too large, and whilst it's certainly not a 20mm F1.7 pancake lens, it's not what I would call big or heavy (being about as large as my Nikon 50mm F1.8). Surprised and delighted that it came with a hood as standard as well.

If I'd have purchased these accessories myself I would have been delighted, but to get them totally for free, must be the bargain of the century ? Thanks Panasonic.

• Like Like x 2
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    As for the size of the lens - it really depends upon what body you're using it on. The size of the PL 25mm is much more unwieldy on something like a an E-PM, E-PL or GF series, than it is on a GH3 or 4, or OM-D E-M1, which bodies themselves are significantly larger and have significant grips themselves.