1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Fish eye lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by StudioHeraBell, May 22, 2012.

1. Does anyone has it? Do you like it?

Some samples please.....

I am planing to buy it.

Cheers,

Hera

2. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Have you seen the sample image thread? Panasonic 8mm f/3.5 Image Thread

I was thinking about it, but I got the 7-14 instead, i get more use out of it. I'll probably buy up the Samyang 7.5mm manual focus fisheye, samples here.

3. I am more convinced to buy the Lumix fish eye after seeing your images.

I want a fish eye, not just wide angle. I am looking forward shooting certain kind of images with it.

I used to own the 7mm-14mm lumix. I did not use it very much. So I sold it. Nice lens. But if I rarely use it, no nedd to carry it.

Thanks a million

I am sure between both fish eye lenses, there are price differences.

Cheers,

Hera

[QUOTE=dre_tech;257246]Have you seen the sample image thread? Panasonic 8mm f/3.5 Image Thread

I was thinking about it, but I got the 7-14 instead, i get more use out of it. I'll probably buy up the Samyang 7.5mm manual focus fisheye, samples here.[/QUOTE]

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    You're lens shopping on you vacation? Which camera shop did you find the fish eye in?

5. If Calumet store in SF had it in stock I was going to buy it. Thet don't... So i will buy it upon my return to Mtl.

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    You really should consider the Samyang 7.5mm. The lack of Autofocus isn't really an issue with a fisheye lens. You could set it to F4 and just at about 0.45m, and everything from 0.45m to infinity will be in focus.

From what I have read, the Samyang/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye is also better optically than the Panasonic 8mm fisheye is, all for less than half the price.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I love the Panny fisheye. Thought I would only rarely use it ... Seems to find its way onto the camera at every "shoot."

8. Is it me, or please confirm. Samyang 7.5 feels more like a wide angle then a fish eye. In other words, lumix fish eye has the true fish eye distortion. What's its heighest f stop? Or is it a fixed fstop?

Do i need adapters?

9. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    Zach
  10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I haven't shot with either, but based on the images others have shared in this forum the lenses seem capable of roughly equal "fisheyeness". That is confirmed by this comparison review: http://m43photo.blogspot.com/2012/02/samyang-75mm-f35-fisheye-lens-review.html

Both lenses have similar apertures, and the major difference between them appears to be the auto focus. Neither lens requires an adapter.

Sent from my Android phone using Mu-43 App

11. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    just sold my rokinon fisheye as i got a good buy on a pany. i'm a photo rookie but heres what i can tell you.both are nice ,rokinon/samyang/ bower same thing seemed to have more metal in it .a little heavier/ better built but also just a little shorter than the pany.with my pany g3 i had to set the camera to [shoot without lens] to use the rokinon and its manual focus which i was doing pretty well with.the panasonic does allow you to use sheet filters as it has a filter holder in back of the lens ,which i know nothing about.for me i like to be able to put the pany. on and i'm ready to go as i have so much to learn as is.i don't think you can go wrong with either. heres a test shot i did with the pany.just to see the curve on the thermometer.hope this helps !!! the cycle was taken with the rokinon.only had the pany for a day not much time to use it yet.

12. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Samy7.5 can be very funny lens, it has very good optics and it is great companion for my P14 giving me extra width on tight places. Frankly auto focus is the only practical reason why to get Pany fish-eye. As mentioned earlier in this thread huge depth of field making Samy7.5 pre-focus and forget lens, except you are planning to shoot from ''macro" distances (For Samy7.5 it is from 9-50cm) You will quickly realize that in focus area is narrowing rapidly and focusing process becomes more and more challenging.
    Pany fish-eye will offer you very comfortable (auto) focusing and lens/aperture information stored in exif for 2-3 times higher price ;)

13. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I own the Samyang and use it far more than I thought I would - it's definitely a true fisheye but also great as a landscape lens if you stick the horizon exactly in the middle and then crop the top or bottom!

The Nikon 10.5mm preset in Lightroom can do a reasonable job of "de-fishing" it if wished. I prefer composing carefully!

What I wasn't expecting with this lens, given its bargain price:

1) the lovely intense rendition, "pop" and contrast it gives, as well as excellent sharpness;

2) the beautiful build quality - feels as though it will last a good while. The (vital) lens cap is well designed and reluctant to fall off.

I'd recommend it highly. I'm trying to reduce the number of lenses I use, but this one's definitely staying in the bag!

14. Thank you all for your valuable input.

After much debate, I plan to buy the panny.

I have certain type of photography with it which requires subjects in full focus in the close by forground with amazing backgrounds.

For that I am convinced that Panny will do the job better.

15. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Anyone tried the Panny with the OM-D? <3

16. Hot out of its box. My new toy has arrived from B&H an hour ago.

This is my office desk, Shot hand held, as is with available light (overcast day) , f/3.5 shutter 1/30, 400 ISO GH2 and Lumix 8mm Fish Eye.

Voila, where I edit and spend my time...

[​IMG]

I have a feeling I will be having tones of fun with this baby. It has a very clear piece of glass.

PS: I try to keep the desk clean. As of last year August I moved my photo studio to my home. I don't want to commute to a downtown studio anymore. I get my portrait client's in this room often to show them the results on the computer.

If anyone is looking for an amazing flat screen. I reccomend ProArt from HDMI ASUS is fabulous to edit your photos on. I own a 24", no reflection what so ever, fabulous color rendition after using Spider Pro to calibrate it. I print what I see on this screen.

Cheers,

Hera

• Like Like x 1
  17. ageha

ageha Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks for the update! Did you update the lens' firmware already or did it ship with 1.1?

18. I did not do any update. i have no idea if it came with the update. I bought is last week.

Does it need an update?

If my equipment works well, I rarely go for firmware updates.

Call me silly, crazy... :smile:

19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    According to Panasonic the firmware update offers "reduced sound of auto focusing in video recording."

I'm generally with you in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp, so unless you're intending to shoot video, it doesn't appear the update would be worth the effort.

20. I had shot videos on few occasions with the GH2, for some corporate clients. For interviews we used an external mike and tape recorder, I find taping the videos with the GH2's mike grabs too much background noises.

Otherwise, any other kind of sounds we doub it with other external sounds (music etc) during our video editings.

Did anyone downloaded the firmware? Did you see a huge difference?