Panasonic fast portrait lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by vsiddhartha, Dec 4, 2011.

1. vsiddhartha

vsiddhartha Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hey guys, I have a G2 and am looking to at the Oly 45mm f1.8. Two questions:

Are there any upcoming Panny lenses (with OIS) that will compete with this lens? Is IS even useful in a lens this fast?

Is there any mounting issue with the larger diameter lens flange clearing the SLR hump on the G2? Hard to tell whether the flange is larger or the lens barrel is just smaller.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Who knows? Only internal Panasonic engineers or development teams can answer that question. What we can tell you is that no, there are none that exist. However, the 45mm/1.7 format has lots of competition in the 40mm and 50mm range from all kinds of SLR mounts. The advantage that the 45mm f/1.8 has over the multitude of nifty-fifties made is that it's much more compact (with no adapter) and has Autofocus. Extremely fast Autofocus at that. It's also sharper wide open than older lenses, but that advantage may be lost when you consider the availability of faster lenses than f/1.8 in legacy formats. f/1.4 or f/1.2 lenses won't be wide open when shot at the same aperture, but are still cheaper than an m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8.

Yes. A fast lens doesn't automatically give you a fast shutter speed. That still depends on the amount of light in your scene.

The barrel is smaller, not the mount. The mount is a standard size.
  3. driftingbunnies

driftingbunnies New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2011
    I have the 45mm f1.8 and it is awesome. However, I'm using it on an E-P3 so I'm not sure how it would perform without the IBIS. Optically, it is definitely worth it. I would say get the lens now and if panasonic does come out with something, you could always just sell it later.
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There are bright zooms rumored to be coming soon. Rumors suggest 12-35 and 35-100 and constant aperture, but nobody knows if that will be f/2.8 or faster (many hope constant f/2, I would love a f/1.7-2.8)