1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic EVF Comparison Request - G3/G6/GX7

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Replytoken, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I presently have a G3 as well as an E-PL5 with a VF-2. I really like using a EVF when I shoot, but the G3's always seems to be a bit of a challenge for me. I wear glasses, and when there is sun behind me, it seems to "flood" the EVF so that I cannot see the image that well. I do not have this issue when I use the VF-2. I am interested in a possible body upgrade, and was considering the GX7, which I have not yet had a chance to try out, but I did not want to rule out the G6 if its EVF was worth consideration. I have tried the E-M1, and find that the IQ from the EVF is quite amazing, but I was not as taken by the VF-4 when I briefly tried it out against my VF-2 on my E-PL5. Any Panasonic users that can offer their direct comparisons among the G3, G6 and GX7?

Thanks,

--Ken

2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Ken,
    The GX7 EVF works very well for me. I am able to se the entire display when wearing my glasses. The G3 EVF vignettes somewhat as do all the other Olympus and Panasonic EFVs. This includes the EM-1 too. The corners of my GH3 EVF are slightly darkened when viewing while wearing my glasses. It seems that this is not the same for everyone. I think whether an EVF works or doesn't work is dependent on the eyepiece magnification and the prescription of an individual's eyeglasses. I would advise looking at the camera in person. Both Glazers and Kenmore Camera usually have a stock of u4/3 cameras on hand. If you end up with the GX7, I recommend getting the DMW-EC1 Eyecup.

Mike

• Like Like x 2
  3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks, Mike. I tried to look at a GX7 at Glazer's when I bought my 75, but they could not find the battery for their demo. I may be there later this week, so I'll try it out then if I can.

--Ken

4. 955i

955i New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2013
    Montfoort (NL)
    thanks Ken, Mike follow this with great interest
    got a G3, next step maybe GX7

5. boomer

boomer New to Mu-43

Nov 9, 2013
    I have EM1 and GX7
    While I can get used to tiny size of GX7 evf (in comparison to Em1) what really annoys me is lack of sharpness. I may have faulty unit but I can't get all the evf corners sharp at the same time.I'm forced to move eye around to see different parts of viewfinder sharp. Feels like I'm looking through an uneven plastic surface in front of evf there. I need to go to the local camera store and check the other GX7 but evf on my unit is disappointing.

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I am assuming that you have set the diopter correction to your eyes.

--Ken

7. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    I've tested the EVFs of G6, GX7 and EM5 and I find the one in the G6 superior to the rest. GX7 is field sequential type and I can see a visible tearing, and I strongly dislike the 16:9 AR. The E-M5 one is closer to the G6 but lags a bit sometimes, and it is just too bright even with brightness set to -3.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    I have to agree with stenlius. I ordered a GX-7 and really wanted to like it, but wound up returning it, primarily because of the EVF. It was really small, didn't seem real sharp, and I had a hard time reading information on the screen(I do wear glasses and utilized the diopter adjustment).

I then replaced it with a G6, after reading the good things Kirk Tuck had to say about it. All I can say is I'm very happy with the G6. The EVF is a lot better.....much bigger, brighter(while still being sharp) and I can easily read everything on the screen.

As a bonus, I find the ergos on the G6 to be superior, as well. Besides the more ample grip, the rocker switch behind the shutter release is the easiest way to adjust exposure compensation I've ever come across.

For me, the G6 just plain works, and is a real pleasure to use. Plus, it's much less expensive!

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I have to agree that the G6 EVF is better than the GX7's, but I don't have any issue with the GX7's finder.

I think what this thread shows is that it's a very personal issue. People have very different opinions about different finders. You really need to try it yourself and decide whether it works for you.

10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    My experience with the GX7 is exactly like Mike's. I use eyeglasses and I use the eyecup. The subject is sharp, no vignetting, I can see the entire 4:3 image with eyeglasses on, the information overlay is sharp, and subject size is plentiful.

It is obvious that EVF experiences vary with the individual, so maybe better to try for your self, if you want to base your camera choice on EVF performance. Each to their own I suppose, but to me an EVF needs to meet a standard of sufficiency, not out-perform other camera EVFs.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Opinions seem to be quite varied. I do not plan on making a decision only upon my EVF options, but I do not want to leave out candidates like the G6 if they should be considered. I am hoping to head to my local store this weekend, and will try a few out if I can.

Thanks,

--Ken

12. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Well, I did have a few minutes to play with the GX 7 and the G6 this weekend. I only had a few minutes, and the EVF's may have had their settings changed by previous customers, so I cannot say that my impressions are definitive. Regarding the G6, I did not find the EVF or the controls to my liking. I thought that the switch behind the shutter was a dial, and it turns out to be a rocker switch. I am sure that I could get used to something like that, but it would not be my first choice. And, my hand felt a bit cramped when reaching for other dials and buttons. These combined with an EVF that somehow seemed to project what appeared like a lower resolution image, did not win me over. I would love to try out another G6 that I could set to my liking, as I believe that the opinions about this EVF lead me to believe that it is better than I experienced.

The EVF on the GX7, OTOH, was something that I liked. I know that folks complained that with a 16:9 ratio, 4:3 images do not utilize the entire EVF, but I actually like that as I wear eyeglasses. My eyes can rarely see an entire EVF, so keeping the image in the "sweet spot" did not seem to bother me. Yes, a larger images would be better, but as soon as an image fills an EVF corner to corner, my eyes need to "swim" to take in everything. This was the same issue I had with most OVF's so I have just come to accept that this is how I see through any viewfinder. And speaking of corners, I did not see any softness in the GX7 EVF that others reported. I will say that the diopter correction has one of the most extreme scales that I have seen on a viewfinder. I wish it had a center detent, but I was still able to set it close enough that the image presented itself well.

I wish the lug strap was in a different location on the GX7, but I will say that it felt really great in my hand, and is now on my GAS list. It is lacking a few features that Oly incorporates in their OM-D bodeis that I would really like, like 5-way IBIS and weatherproofing, but it is hard to complain at it current price. I suspect that it may fall a bit more in the near future, so I need to decide when I want to upgrade. Bodies are almost disposable these days given their short product cycles, so I would be unusual for me to buy a camera at its MSRP, like the E-M1 presently.

--Ken

• Like Like x 3
  13. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    That's why it is all subjective, and it is all about how you feel the camera in your hands and mind. :)

14. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Regular

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    I must admit, I would never buy a camera without a VF, hence why I have owned the G3 then the G5 and now currently own the G6 which I find the evf almost perfect, nice, big, sharp and clear.

As I also own a couple of Pentax K5's with their large bright and 100% field of view VF, it's the number one main requirement when I buy any type of camera.

And being a glasses wearer I find the G6 just about perfect.