Panasonic DMW-LVF2 Viewfinder Availability

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by xvvvz, Jul 26, 2013.

1. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Anyone with a GX1 who has been looking for a DMW-LVF2 knows that for weeks they have been hard to find at the major reputable sellers. Amazon still says 2-4 weeks ($224 price quote a minute ago) and B&H doesn't give an estimate, but as of last night Adorama now says they have them in stock at the reasonable $161. I am not affiliated with Adorama in any way but know that due to the recent rock bottom prices on the GX1 there are probably lots of other new GX1 owners who have been waiting for someone to get these in stock at a reasonable price.

Don't even bother with the shady sellers Google brings up like CostCaptain. They don't tell you up front that they do not actually have these in stock. They will just hold your order "in processing" for days and days until they can find one at a price at wholesaler which still gives them a profit.

2. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I've noticed the same. Amazon's price was similar to B&H and Adorama for months, but has shot up recently, appearantly due to supply and demand.

A few weeks ago B&H was out of stock, then emailed me at my request when they had stock again, but I declined to buy another at that time. I've again asked for an email when stock arrives, but I'd be happy to purchase from Adorama and just might later today or tomorrow.

I checked both B&H and Adorama just a day or so ago and neither had the LVF2 at the time. I want 'one more' LVF2 though not really wanting to spend the money at the moment, as I've spent much on cameras lately.

I've been thinking that the LVF2 might drop below the $160 price after the GX1 madness passes and the possible GX2 is introduced, as long as it has a built-in viewfinder.

3. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    I was thinking about waiting for the price to drop too but I wondered if they are about done, if not already done, producing these since the GX1 itself is discontinued according to many websites. Actual accessory production usually doesn't go on much longer after the they stop production of the "mother" item in my experience. IF there is a price drop, I don't think it will be that major, at least over the next few months, so it wasn't worth it to me to wait for a "maybe."

The GX7 (=GX2) certainly is a nice camera. Unfortunately, at $1k it is a bit more than I can justify.

4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I bought a DMW-LVF2 in May for $160 from Amazon and have noted the price increase as well. Also the Olympus VF-2, normally selling for $175, has been $225-250 lately on Amazon. I figured it was a seasonal thing: people need it for travel and are willing to pay top dollar.

5. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    You made some very good points. Good enough arguments to encourage me to buy another LVF2 today instead of waiting until later. I ordered one a few hours ago from Adorama.

Yes, I really enjoy owning and working with multiple, similar (or identical) bodies. The recent $200 fire sale prices on GX1s allowed me to 'stock up' on these tools in a way that would have been unaffordable at $700-1,000+ per copy. In addition, I really love the GX1. Even with a LVF2 cost added, $360 for a tool that works well for me is a deal.

Thanks for the push, I'll just postpone my next lens purchase a bit.

6. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    I've been frustrated by my search for one as well. I am one of those folks who just got into MFT by buying a GX1, so I can see that there are many more of us trying to equip their GX1 with an LVF2.
    I'd pick one up for $160, but the best in Canada is $225 at Henry's. :(

7. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Doesn't Adorama ship to Canada?

8. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Yes, they do and shipping with FedEx is $16, which is reasonable. However, they only offer FedEx or UPS, which is customs brokerage charges lottery with those two. You get your item at the door and get a bill for $40-$50 for their silly fees. I wish they shipped with USPS.
    Plus, I'd like to trade-in my E-P1 body at Henry's towards a LVF2, but I don't want to give them my EP1 and pay $150 on top of that. :frown:

9. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    I figured the brokerage fees might be the stumbling block. Some of my Canadian customers wonder why I only ship USPS which can be a bit slower but I don't think they have ever experienced the brokerage "bonus." Now that USPS and Canadian postal services match up tracking numbers, other companies might start using them more (lack of tracking was a big reason that businesses would not use USPS for Canada).

10. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    Adorama = Backordered!

Adorama has listed the LVF2 as out to stock before as we’ve discussed in this thread, but maybe they decided to remove that little detail to sell a few?

This morning I received a notice saying my LVF2 I ordered is "backordered", and most such items will ship in 10-14 days.

I guess I will keep the order and let it come when the LVF2 is in stock, though I prefer the more forthright listing my B&H.

11. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    Bummer. FWIW, I ordered one and they say it is has been shipped, therefore, they had to have received at least a few. I think quite a few people ordered them after reading this thread so maybe their supply drained pretty fast. It is too bad they haven't updated their webpage.

12. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

It's in stock at Amazon now (7/27) for $169, offered by a Marketplace vender (Normans).

13. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    FYI for anyone ordering from Adorama - when they get them back in stock, you might follow up on your order with an email or phone call requesting they send your EVF in an actual box. Mine was sent just in a padded mailer. The Panasonic box was crushed a bit which is annoying but not unexpected considering it was just a padded mailer for protection. Ugh. $160 worth of electronics and you can't put it in a box?

14. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I would be unhappy about that!

I read your post and shortly thereafter was on the phone ordering a few accessories from B&H. I added a LVF2 from B&H where they tell you it’s backordered on their site, and will cancel my Adorama order tomorrow...