1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic DMW-GWC1 vs Raynox HD-6600PRO-46. And lens with 46mm?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by davidzvi, Feb 2, 2015.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Just wondering if anyone has tried the Raynox HD-6600PRO-46. I know there's a lot of information on the Panasonic but I've not much on the Raynox other than video or macro.

Also the Panasonic is "suppose" to be paired with the 14mm or 14-42x. But is there really any reason not to use it on anything with a 46mm thread? I mean there're so many Panasonic, Olympus, and Sigma primes with 46mm threads.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Optical magic? I tested the GWC1 on the PL15 and it was poor. Worked well on the 12-32 though, just a smidgen of vignetting which goes away at 3:2.

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=72893

So who knows really with these converters.

3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle

The Panasonic GWC-1 is designed it only for the 14mm and secondarily the 14-42 ez lens right? They even say in their documentation that its not for other lenses ... so to me its no surprise that it is poor on other lenses.

For giggles one day I put it onto the 20mm f1.7 ... it sucked.

No surprise to me there ... as they do say what it was designed for. Unlike other wide adapters which are not so honed in on one target lens (which happens to use aspherical optics btw) ...

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I saw your thread on the Converter and 12-32.

Yes I meant EZ, not X. Oh,well it was worth a shot. Still wonder about Raynox.

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I wasn't trying to be pedantic about the model, just emphasizing that its intended for just two lenses and really is crap with anything else ... I've tried the 14-42 and the 14-45 out of interest too ... it just does what it was designed to do.

6. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    I've tried the GWC1 on the Panasonic 14-42 II lens, and it doesn't work with that either. I've also tried it on the Olympus 9-18mm. It does appear to work with that (although I didn't do any detailed image analysis) but there is a lot of vignetting at 9mm, which goes away as you zoom in but that kind of defeats the purpose - just use the 9-18 at 9mm! :smile:

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The GWC1 comes with rings to fit 46mm and 37mm. Agree that it works poorly on the P20mm, and is also awful on the Oly 14-42 II.

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow good list. So the 14mm, 14-42 EZ, and 12-32 are the only remotely usable ones then.

9. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi

Don't touch the Raynox with a barge pole, it's worse than a bit of bottle glass. Total and utter rubbish. Don't know what Raynox designed it for but its not suitable for m4/3 cameras.

Of a similar cost and of a much higher optical quality is the Olympus 9mm body cap lens. Wish I got one first and saved the money spent on the worthless Raynox.

Paul

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have the 9mm. the GWC1, GFC1. I'm going to sell off the GFC1 at least. I also have the 12-50 so I might sell off the GWC1. But since I use the 14 most I'll probably keep it and the variable aperture is hard to discount.