1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic DMW-GWC1 in stock.

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by mnhoj, May 14, 2012.

1. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks, I am interested in this conversion lens. Does anyone yet have experience with it or seen a review?

Frank

• Like Like x 1
  2. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    This is all I've seen so far. My copy arrives Wednesday. I'll post a few samples as soon as I can.

Lumix macro and wide conversion lens

3. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Great

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  5. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I thought the 14 had 46mm threads.

6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    The converters don't screw on....they for around the outside diameter of the lens....that's why it will fit on the 14/2.4 but not the 20/1.7 even though they both use a 46mm thread......unfortunate though,could you imagine a 15mm/f1.7 :)

I'm looking forward to the wide converter for my 14......if tests indicate a very high quality, I'll jump at the chance of having a pancake(ish) 11/2.5 for $100 !!!!

7. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    From what I've read, one end of the GWC1's adapter has 46mm threads and the other a bayonet for the actual converter. Would mount on the 20mm, though not sure how well it will perform.

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    If there are 46mm threads, I might try it on the 12mm. Should make it a 9mm f2.0 which would be great, depending on image quality. Also should mount on the 25 1.4 to make a fast poor mans 35mm equivalent(37 actually).

9. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    • Like Like x 3
  10. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    My DMW-GWC1 arrived a few minutes ago.

Plastic 46mm and 37mm screw in filter adapters. Bayonet style fitting on the other side. I'm at work so pics and mini review later(hopefully tonight).

From a quick LCD viewing images look pretty good.

Might be interesting with the 20, 25, and 45s.

11. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Oh, I see. Somehow I misread the specs.

Curious how large it is on the 14/2.5. An 11mm almost-pancake suddenly sounds rather appealing, assuming the IQ is good, particularly compared to the price of the not-particularly-compact Olympus 12/2.

DH

12. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Here it is mounted on the 14mm. The top pic shows with push on cap.
    The bottom - plastic adapter ring separate.

Sharpness seems pretty good even to the edges. Distortion can be a bit distracting but if I decide to keep it I'll probably make a LR profile. The Nikon 18-70 profile works pretty good.

My initial reaction is that it'll probably be on more than off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    There is a picture with the adapter and 14mm on a Gx1 in the mini review already posted above.

14. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Shall I remove my pics?

15. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    No, my post was in reply to earlier post than yours. You beat me to the punch.

16. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Thanks! It does look pretty reasonable size-wise - certainly smaller than the Olympus 12/2. Distortion doesn't matter too much for landscapes, so it looks like I'll have to give it a try.

Any comment on how the light-gathering ability is (i.e. if you expose the same scene with and without the converter using the same shutter speed/aperture/ISO, do you get the same level of brightness)?

Thanks,

DH

17. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Sorry Frank.

If it came across as serious I didn't mean it. I actually could'a sworn I put a smile at the end.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    From just popping off a few samples with that thought in my mind it would seem there is very little light loss. I'll try and control it a bit more and report back.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I did a quick un-scientific test. Looks like there is very little loss if any. Also, there is more distortion in the 14mm w/o converter than I had previously thought. The DMW-GWC should not bear all the blame. :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3