1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic DMW-BLE9 Battery Question

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Replytoken, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I recently ordered a second Panasonic battery for my GF3 from B&H. The battery packaging slip states that you should either store the battery in the supplied battery case or the supplied battery carrying bag. Am I to assume that you get one or the other, but not both? The enclosed bag is like a mini ziploc, and I cannot imagine how it could hold up to more than a week or two of regular use before falling apart. Given that many camera companies had to redesign their lithium batteries to comply with revised safety regulations in Japan, I am very surprised that Panasonic opted not to include the more durable case that probably costs pennies to produce. They are charging almost $48.00 USD for their batteries. Does anybody have any suggestions for safely storing and carrying a spare battery?

Thanks,

--Ken

2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Here's why

Most of Panasonic's point and shoot model camera batteries came with an inexpensive carrying case. The documentation also mentions using it. The purpose (only purpose) of the case was to prevent any metal objects from accidentally coming in contact with the battery contacts, causing a short circuit which in theory could result in a battery meltdown. Ironically, their batteries also include internal protective circuitry to prevent such an accident. This is why their batteries cost more. You'll never appreciate the feature until you have a LI-On battery melt down before your eyes.

Any "case", bag or suitable precaution to prevent the accidental short circuit will do just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for the reply. I guess that I am used to the more sturdy snap-on covers that Nikon, Canon, and even Olympus have provided to protect the contacts. With the exception of the flimsy Olympus end cap, these covers do not come off by accident, and I can be assued that the contacts are not exposed. The bag provided by Panasonic looks like it could easily tear or rip, so I now need to worry about the spare battery in my bag's accessory pocket coming in contact with other objects. I know its a bottom line decision, but does anybody ever calculate the value of lost goodwill by these penny pinching decisions? In the mean time, I guess that I will be relying on Ziploc bags for back up protection. Very classy, Panasonic!

--Ken

4. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I hear ya!

To be honest, I find them all annoying. I have a pocket in my camera bag for batteries in which no metal objects are placed. All these carrying cases, bags and protectors are promptly tossed in the trash. Just something more to carry. But, I do hear ya - loud and clear.

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I use an SD card pouch:

Amazon.com: SanDisk Memory Card Carrying Pouch - Black (Memory Card Not Included): Electronics

to hold my spare OM-D battery when I want to carry it in my pocket. Zips secure, comes with a ring to attach to belt loop or key chain or camera strap if desired. (Best to make sure the zipper cannot accidentally make contact with the battery, but so far I've had no issues with that on the Olympus. YMMV.)

Tamrac also makes a battery/card wallet that will hold cards, extra batteries, and has a belt loop. Larger than the above pouch, it will hold AA or AAA batteries for flashes as well as camera batteries and cards.

Amazon.com: Tamrac S.A.S. MXS536801 Memory and Battery Management Wallet 4 (Black): Camera & Photo

HTH

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Unfortunately, most of my pockets carry multiple items, but I am glad to know that I am not alone in my dislike of their plastic bags.

Thanks,

--Ken

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Jim,

Thank you for these two suggestions. I like the SD bag, and will see if I have one from previous purchases.

--Ken

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I did find a temporary holder for my battery. I have a number of boxes that hold 4 AA batteries, and the battery fits in the box with a bit of room to spare. As I have a number of these boxes, and am used to carrying them to hold spare rechargeable batteries for my Nikon SB-600, it seemed like a good solution.

--Ken