Panasonic DMC-GX1 for $239.00 at B&H

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Ray Sachs, May 21, 2013.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
  2. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

You get some great deals over there :-(

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This is probably the best buy in MFTs today (not just at B&H but the GX1 in general at this price).

4. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

My wife just bought a second hand GF1. Never had my hands on one before and I can see why it is so loved. Of course I then began looking to see how much GX1 bodies go for! Cheapest I found over here is £350 ($530).

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
  6. hannahntilly

hannahntilly New to Mu-43

May 22, 2011
    Less than £300 of you shop around. See here

7. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Not bad. I'll be keeping tabs on prices now the GX2 is on the horizon.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's the price from a single seller who got a batch of GX1s with cosmetic damage to the boxes. I wouldn't call that a standard. Some people will want to pay the extra $40 to buy from a seller they have bought from before (eg, B&H, Amazon, Adorama), and others will prefer to save the $40 and buy from Roberts. Both reasonable choices.

9. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Agreed -- rather pay a few dollars for security.

I picked up one for the same price from Adorama (though they don't show it at the top level -- you have to click on it to see $239). It arrived today and I've already hacked it with ptool and Sanity 5.1 parameters and I'm getting 46 Mbps video out of it. Amazing.

Controls and touchscreen are nearly identical to the G5, and I was comfortable with the G3's image quality so the GX1 was a sudden GAS purchase to give me a video tool for fast motion.

10. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Anyone know if any Canadian sellers are providing these prices?
    I know BH and Adorama ship to Canada but just wondering for a friend who lives here (i'm currently in Ottawa, ON Canada) and would rather order from a Canadian website.

11. Throttle

Throttle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    Greater Manchester , UK
    David
    You could get a used GX1 i listed mine here, If your interested at all i'll get loads of photos if wanted took of it :wink:

12. thchen

thchen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2012
  13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    It's worth every penny of $239, lol. Just buy it.

14. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

Since my wife picked up a GF1 I've really found myself preferring the feel over my G3. Tempted to sell the G3 and get a GX1. Have you got any pics of your GX1?

15. Throttle

Throttle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2012
    Greater Manchester , UK
    David
    Hi
    Sorry i had a subscription on my sale thread but not here hence my late response, i will sort some out later today and message you rather than take over this non sale thread really okay :thumbup:

16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It's just not from Robert's. Adorama also has it for $199.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Camera Body, Black DMC-GX1KBODY

17. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The Indian Scout pressed his ear to the ground and listened intently. Straightening up abruptly he shouted, "GX2 is coming!!!"

18. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    How does the GX1 compare with the GF3? I have a hard time figuring out the distinctions in Panasonic's product line from the descriptions on their website.

19. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    the GF3? there are a lot of differences.
    First, the GX1 has a newer 16mp sensor, which gives you less noise at the higher ISOs.
    the GX1 has a hot shoe (as well as the pop-up flash). and the GX1 can take Panasonic's LVF2 electronic view finder.
    the GX1 has a physical mode dial and many more buttons on the back, giving you direct access to many of the exposure controls that are touch screen only on the GF3.
    the GX1 also has a touch screen.
    the GX1 has a metal body vs. the GF3 largely plastic construction.
    the GX1 has the multi-function thumb dial that lets you switch between, say Aperture and Shutter Speed in manual, or Aperture and Exposure Comp in Aperture priority. you can just press in the dial to switch functions. the GF3 has a dial around the 4-way buttons, but i don't believe that can switch between two different modes.
    anyway, there are a ton of differences, that is just a start. the GF3 is the base, entry level m43 model from Panasonic and the GX1 is much more of premium enthusiast's model.

20. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    I really like and work well with the GX1, it's my only m4/3 body and I have a three. All of the them were purchased in the last six months for not much money.

For $$250 or less I might buy another, though $200 (new) would be a "buy now" for me. An additional body would get the 14-42 PZ lens I have sitting mounted on it, and I'd use that setup as a second "point & shoot", less serious but capable camera.

Obviously one needs a lens for the GX1, but for under $300 I think it's a fantastic little tool.