1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic DMC-GX-8 vs Olympus O-MD E-M1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by azjsb, Mar 8, 2016.

1. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    So, I posted this question in the Olympus Forum but thought that it would be helpful to also get input from those that primarily go to the Panasonic forum - hope that whichever forum is your "go-to" that the answers would be unbiased and helpful - so here it is: I would appreciate some input on the pros/cons of the Panasonic DMC-GX-8 vs Olympus O-MD E-M1 but would really like it from those individuals who have shot with both and, as a result, have opinions on one vs the other. One area I am particularly interested in is continuous auto-focus for shooting sports, moving wildlife, BIF. Thanks,

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

To prove how unbiased I am, I'll ask why you aren't considering a dSLR? Those are still key strengths of a DSLR system. If I was shooting sports and Wildlife, I'd probably get a 7Dmk2 or the new Nikon D500.

Not to say you can't do great stuff with the m4/3 cameras you mentioned. It's just that you'll have to work a little harder at it.

3. azjsb

azjsb Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    I hike a great deal - currently shooting m4/3 and love it - I understand some of the weaknesses but on balance love m4/3 and have numerous m4/3 lenses. So, wishing to upgrade on the body and wondering about the experiences of those that have used both. Thanks for your comment - I understand totally why you made it. I used to lug around a lot of Nikon gear.

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    If you own all Panasonic lenses with OIS, then the choice is easy. Get the GX8 because DFD focus with 3D AF tracking works only with Panasonic lenses. E-M1 C-AF works with both Panasonic and Olympus lenses, but does not do AF tracking all that well. And it does not have the AF touch pad like that is on the PEN-F and E-M10 II to begin subject tracking. I have tried and used them both. I have all Panasonic primes and Pro zooms so I'm more biased towards GX8 if I do replace my E-5 to go with my E-P5.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I don't own either camera but the answer to "which does better C-AF" is probably going to be the Panasonic.
    At least one day someone may chime in with experience and confirm or deny my supposition.
    (A good lightweight DSLR would do, I hear Nikon have great choices)

6. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I have e'm both plus some Canon SLRs. And I just got back from birding in S Florida.The first thing is that most BIF pictures you have seen,that look good, are the result of many discarded poor out of focus attempts. You have no idea how hard it is to get really good BIF pictures. But you can get them with all cameras. The problem is you have birds who don't want to get photographed and cameras which want big subjects to focus upon. The way around this is big telephoto lenses which have very narrow depths of field and are hard to hold on the bird who is in the monotonous sky. I haven't tried CAF on my cameras.Perhaps it is the magic solution you seek. If it works let me know.