1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic DMC-GM1 Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mthomas, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    I just pre-ordered this camera from Adorama.

I have a few easy questions that I've already posed to members of DPReview, but I've had no response (probably because my questions are stupid and not worth anyone's while to answer).

Anyway, the main question is about how I can expect to download my pictures with this new camera. (I've been using an Eye-Fi X2 Pro card with no problems to date with my Oly E-P3.)

So here's the question:

Can I use the GM1's built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi connectivity to transfer files to my wireless-capable laptop? All Panasonic says is that I can make instant transfers to my "smart device." Well, I own neither a smartphone nor a tablet (and it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy one). Must I run some kind of "smart app"? Thanks very much in advance.

Marc

(PS: I have a laptop running Win Pro 7 and that's my preferred download destination. I use no "Cloud" services, including social media of any kind. M)

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    It will be soooo much faster to take the card out of the camera and stick it in a card reader than it will be to use wifi.

3. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    I gather the answer to my question is, YES, I WILL be able to interact with my laptop via its wi-fi, right? In any event, thanks!

Marc

(PS: So long as I keep my Eye-Fi-equipped Oly E-P3 about a half an inch away from my laptop, downloads proceed relatively quickly. However, I currently save exclusively to jpeg; if, as has been alleged in the past, I discover that Panasonic's jpeg-engine sucks, then I'll have to resort to RAWS and much larger file sizes. We'll see ... M)

4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I assume if you use the software that comes with the eyefi and have it installed in your computer, you should be able to?

6. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013
    Thank you, Swandy, this was my conclusion too. How is the profit motive satisfied by such a constraint, I wonder?

Marc

Dont assume the answer is YES. From what I have briefly read (more interested in the 12-32 lens than the GM1) the camera requires the Panasonic app to do the transfer and that app is so far only written for smartphones and tablets...

7. byegad

byegad Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    I have two Eye-Fi and one Flashair card in my three cameras. The Eye-Fi is brilliant at transfering images to my Nexus7 in the field so to speak. I can look at a 7" version of my image moments after taking it. The Flashair needs linking to the nexus, or laptop each time so I have to either wait until I go for a tea or stop shooting for a few minutes to set up the link. I imagine that WiFi capable cameras will need that link making each time you want to upload.
    Given the OP has no smart-device I can't see any issues with this.

8. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Still amazes me that it's almost 2014 and something as simple as dumping a medium-res version of the picture that you just took into a Dropbox folder on whatever device you happen to have near the camera isn't possible. Then camera manufacturers sit around and wonder why they're losing sales to camera phones.