Panasonic DMC-G5 Kit

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kevin boyer, Sep 26, 2013.

1. kevin boyer

kevin boyer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    First post here on Mu-43. Arrived here from another forum.

I've decided after much deliberation, that the G5 will be my new camera. I come from a Nikon DSLR set-up ( 3 lens, tripod, camera, ball head etc. etc. ) that I sold last year to try something newer and lighter. I found this G5 kit from Adorama...http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCG5BKE.html

I think the 2 lens that come with the kit will be fine for starters. I also have my eye on a Sigma 19mm f/2.8 EX DN lens. My question is will this lens work well as a wide angle lens with the G5? I also would like to get a dedicated macro lens too, but don't want to break the bank :thumbup: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin.

2. ernie

ernie New to Mu-43

Apr 11, 2013
    Hi I am selling my g5 kit with 19mm sigma and two other lenses

Check the marketplace if u are interested :)

Sent from my HTC One using Mu-43 mobile app

3. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    19mm works well, but it's not that wide. it's 38mm in FX and 25mm in DX.

4. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    Thanks for the reply's. Since my first post, I have found the G5 body new for $279.00. So if I go in that direction, what are a few "go to" lens that I should look at? I am shooting mostly landscapes, but would like something also that would do macro.

Kevin.

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Oly 12-50 comes to mind, with some macro-like capabilities.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    For a good quality budget kit I bought the P14 and O45, and I like them both, but I can't help you with macro.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I don't think you can do any better than the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 for an inexpensive high quality wide angle. You should be able to pick up new ones that have been split out of kits for around $170-175 on ebay. Clean used ones might be gotten for $150.

As far as macro goes, If you're on a budget, I recommend going the manual focus adapted lens route (the dedicated Olympus or Panasonic Macro lenses would set you back $4-500. But you can get a manual focus 50 or 55mm lens such as the

55mm f3.5 Micro Nikkor
    50mm f3.5 Canon FD
    50mm f3.5 Olympus Zuiko
    50mm f3.5 Minolta Rokkor X
    55mm f3.5 Konica Hexanon

Any of these in nice shape can be found for under $100. Then add $12 or so for an adapter from the native mount of whichever macro you get, to Micro 4/3 and you're good to go.

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Probably the best bang for the buck for :43: native lens, alongside with the Oly 45. IMHO.

9. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    Great suggestions guy's. I really appreciate the advice. I have found a couple of 14mm f/2.5 brand new for $160.00 so that should work out nicely. I also found the Oly EZ 12-50mm f/3.5 that xdayv mentioned in an earlier post.

@dougjgreen...not sure about what adapter I would need for the G5 if I went with the Oly 50mm f/3.5 that you mentioned. Can you point me in the right direction?

Kevin.

10. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Here ya go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-OM-...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4cfbcf71e3

• Like Like x 1
  11. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    Thanks very much Doug. That was easy. :thumbup:

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    BTW, the same seller has adapters for just about any brand of manual lens into Micro 4/3. They're a reliable seller, and since they are based in the U.S., you don't have to wait 2-3 weeks for the adapter to arrive in the mail.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SuperY

SuperY Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    Dear Kevin,

I bought the same set at about the same price, but without the US$100 rebate,
    a few months ago. 45-150 is a great lens for the price. However, 14-42 (old model)
    isn't that great. The new 14-42 II or the old 14-45 is better.

mZD 12-50 (EM-5 kit) isn't bad but it is very long and has no O.I.S.

I like my Pana 14-42PZ (X) because of its size. The sharpness is compromised,
    of course, but the closest focus range is very close. I think it is about 20cm@14,
    not bad for close-up.

14. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    If you really want macro, a dedicated macro lens is a must. The manual lens can be just a good as the native lenses, just without the AF. They have a bit more character too IHMO.

15. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    The kit from Adorama is a great deal, but that 14-42 is a concern for sure. By going with the G5 body only, I can now pick and choose the lens that work best for my needs. I'll take a look at the Pana 14-42 PZ (x) Thanks very much.

Kevin.

16. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin

@Bradley...a dedicated macro would definitely be the way to go, and if I can find one at a reasonable price, I would surely do that. For now I might just go with the manual lens with adapter. It might surprise me. :smile:

Kevin.

17. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    As I've been trying to decide on which lens I want to pair with the G5, I've now found it for $244.95 w/free shipping, refurbished by Panasonic. (Not on Panasonic website) I have purchased refurbished products before, but not a camera. Anything I should be worried about if I decide to go this route?

Kevin.

18. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I generally prefer buying refurb products - assuming they come with a manufacturer's warranty (it might be shorter, but as long as it is guaranteed by the manufacturer, they are generally indistinguishable from new cameras).

What I would be cautious of is if the warranty is ONLY from the seller, not Panasonic. That would be a red flag. But most manufacturers use other channels to sell their re-furbs - the way to know if it's really been re-certified to new specs is if it comes with a manufacturer's warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  19. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    Thanks Doug. Here's what it states in the description....

“Free Priority Shipping! This item has been refurbished by Panasonic Company. It comes with all original accessories and carries a 90 day manufacturer’s warranty. Premium Quality - 100% satisfaction guaranteed!”

Kevin.

20. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi Kevin
    If considering the Panasonic PZ 14 - 42mm please be aware that many have found that its optical qualities which are quite good are compromised by the apparent 'shutter shock' blurring that occurs on this particular lens
    It is an incredibly compact lens and the Power Zoom can be controlled directly from the toggle switch next to the shutter release on the G5 which makes it very nice to use.
    However the blurring issue may detract somewhat from the overall qualities of the lens
    You will find plenty of info with a relevant online search where there are quite a few reports
    Panasonic recently withdrew the lens (from what I can gather ) replacing it with the 14 - 42mm as fitted to the new GX7 which apparently uses some of the glass elements from the PZ lens and is very highly rated. This or the 14 - 45 might be better choices for a kit zoom
    Just something to be aware of before further consideration.
    Regards
    Rob