1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Direct - Needs Some Work

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by crsnydertx, Jul 1, 2011.

1. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Okay, I think this story has been told by others, but it just happened to me. I've had the G3 on order from Panasonic Direct since the beginning of time (!) for a very attractive price. I've received several weekly updates from PD indicating the date of shipment was "Not Yet Determined". Fine, I'm a patient man, so I figured sometime in July.

Well, today is the first of July, and I still haven't gotten an update with a firm date. BUT! Surprise, surprise, I hear a knock on the door, and by the time I got to the door, the UPS man was back in his truck and a package from Panasonic Direct was on the doorstep. Yep - it was the G3.

Okay, so mixed emotions. I'm glad it was delivered, but perplexed that there was no communication from PD regarding the shipment. And concerned, because this $500 camera was left at the door with no requirement for a signature. I'm sure glad I was home....

As I laid out in the title, Panasonic Direct needs to work on their processes...

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Congrats!! UPS is horrible though. Whenever possible, I'll pay extra to get Fed Ex over UPS.

3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I get stuff delivered at my place of work if it's anything of value. Or the post office and ask for signature confirmation if that level of service is available. That way, if you're not home it's just a quick trip to the post office.

4. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Hmmm....do I trust my co-workers more than my neighbors?? :tongue:

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    LOL.... for me I'm afraid I have no choice since I own my own business. And it's not my neighbors I would worry about......it's the guy following the UPS truck.

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Panasonic is going through a time of major layoffs. Be easy on them.

7. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I understand. Just wanted to warn other PD customers to be on the lookout for unexpected deliveries.

8. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    :eek:

You gave me one more reason to be paranoid.

9. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Eager to hear your thoughts on the G3 once you've had a chance to spend some time with it. Thinking about switching to one from the GF1.

I've ordered from PD and had the same experience, kind of an odd transaction haha.

10. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Not only the OP, but their CS don't even know if your order is shipped !

11. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Me too.

12. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    This story makes an already unbearable wait worse. Thanks OP. :)

I, too have a G3 with no shipdate, and have been waiting, with bated breath, every day for many weeks, hoping a big truck stops at my door instead of just rolling by.

This must be what it's like to be a dog.

EDIT: Edited for grammar. To think I used to teach English once..

13. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    :rofl:

Bingo... a dogs name :rofl:

I hate it also... Arggggg
    But for a $100.00 savings, I'll wait it out :popcorm2: :frown:

14. SnapHappy

SnapHappy Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    I appreciate this. I, too, am waiting anxiously for a ship notice from them. Will keep an eye out for Brown. tks.

15. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    you can use the UPS track by reference feature, that's what I did when I waited 4 months for my GH2s! Just type in your order number in the shipment reference box.

16. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Ugh... in four months the price of the G3 in stores may drop to the discounted price I'm paying by preordering from Panasonic Direct. I gave my G1 to my niece today... so I really want the G3 sometime really soon.

17. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    Duke
    I don't think it will be that long, I hope it won't. I think the success of the GH2 really caught them off guard, they should be more prepared now.

18. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It has nothing to do with that. Panasonic Direct has always been this way. It's getting to be the standard for Asian companies in the US. In Asia, they have red carpet service. The fall over themselves to please you. In the US...... screw 'em. They'll buy anyways. I think it's because in Asia, the companies run the operations directly. In the US, they farm it out to US companies. I know that's how Lenovo works. Their US sales is a third party that is in essence acting as a US franchise store for Lenovo. They aren't Lenovo themselves.

I've dealt with Sony in Asia, China/Japan, and they are the most accomodating people. No waiting weeks to get your laptop service. They will literally take care of it while you wait. In the US, you have to fight with Sony NA over whether something is covered or not. Even things that are clearly covered, they will deny until you make a stink about it with the BBB. It's pathetic.

19. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Nope. I've been dealing with these guys for years. Pretty much it's place an order and pray. A few weeks/months later, you'll either have it or you won't. But what they lack in customer service, they make up in seriously undercutting their own dealer network. I don't know why the distributors and retail stores put up with it.

20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, I just cancelled my G3 order today. It was partly due to the frustration of waiting for 2 months. But it's just as much because a more pro replacement for the GF1 is rumored to arrive before the end of the year. Frankly, that's what I really want.