Panasonic direct experience?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by yottavirus, Aug 25, 2011.

1. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I ordered a GF2+14-42 kit and 20/1.7 from panasonic while the 20/1.7 was backordered. It still shows back ordered on the status but today I received a package at my US address, weighing 1 pound, size 5x5x7" from Panasonic customer experience group. There is no tracking info available for the lens, but the number for the body shows that it still has not been delivered.

Has anyone else experienced this before? All reasoning points towards the 20/1.7, but I find it strange that a package with no tracking number would contain something that was back ordered when the other item I ordered at the same time is still not here.

2. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Anything is possible with Panasonic Direct. I've had orders there come up with a blank page and will ship randomly. Some shipments get updated with a tracking number, others are backordered forever but will show up on your door without notice just when you forgot about it.

3. zeigler1

zeigler1 New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2011
    PanasonicDirect Order

Hi, all:

While we've made improvements in the experience on Panasonic Direct, we know that there's still a LONG way to go.

The good news is that availability of the G-series cameras is now much better than it has been in many months. While we've also made improvements to our messaging regarding order status, we've clearly still got holes in that system.

Please send an email to customersupport@us.panasonic.com with your order #, so that they can give you an accurate status of the various items in your order.

Sorry to you (and others) for the ridiculous experiences on Panasonic Direct. With more details to follow, I can assure you that it WILL get MUCH better in just a few short weeks!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Ridiculous is right! No ship confirmations, not following through on pre-orders (I did get my item, unannounced on my door step), and all kinds of shenannigins... at least they're nice and helpful on the phone.

I sincerely hope they've improved the way they do things.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I've probably ordered from them half a dozen times - once the item was in stock. The others, always backordered, I think once I received a shipping email and the other times it was 50/50 on whether the status was updated on their website.

That is the price to pay for early discounts!

6. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I've never had them not follow through on orders, that included the GF1/20mm kit for $620 (when they were still out of stock everywhere) and the 7-14mm for around $600 as well. What didn't they follow through on?

7. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    I think I phrased this poorly.

What I meant was, after collecting the pre-order, they didn't do anything. The item just showed up on my doorstep one day unannounced.

I've edited my post.

8. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    well duh, I'd expect no less (or rather no more) from them!

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    wait, are you really from Panasonic? Kinda cool if you are. Cause I want my G3 body!

10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Reads more like that was copied from an email, or a press release than an official statement directly to the forum!

11. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010

Are you STILL waiting? :eek:

12. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    yes =( phone calls and emails all tell me "no status." This is for a body only order. I also had a kit ordered as well, but actually cancelled that yesterday because I don't want to go through the hassle of selling the 14-42 I don't need. Though, now I'm wondering if that was a mistake, heh.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I can verify that Zeigler is indeed with Panasonic.

14. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    Had them take pics of it, it is indeed the 20/1.7. The GF2 just arrived today as well.

Damn $107 shipping...

15. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I have a question out of ignorance. Why do you deal with Panasonic Direct for buying new gear as opposed to parts? I know people at Panasonic USA and they typically know less or no more about merchandising issues than do their major dealers. Perhaps this is not true globally, but I have found this to be repeatedly true in the U.S.

Decond, I have often called Panasonic for information. I find that I may get a reasonable answer about 30% of the time, particularly if I am asking a technical questions.

Thanks in advance for educating me.

Best regards,
    Tom

16. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Tom
    I think that Panasonic's support line (for US customers) is providing what I'd call general operation assistance. While I've spoken with a few of their people who are very knowledgeable when it came to digital photography, they don't appear to be on the general intake lines. Unlike Canon or Nikon who primarily make cameras, Panasonic is very diversified so their support must be a bit broader.

In cases where the person I spoke with could not assist me, I asked that the question be escalated to the next level of support. In those cases, I did receive an e-mail or a phone call with the answer by the next day. It was not as fast as I would have liked, but the questions were answered correctly.

17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Panasonic Direct G3 Body: $508 shipped (some got better deals). B&H/Amazon/most retailers: $599 =)

18. yottavirus

yottavirus Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    I realised that this was a bad idea when I glanced at the photos and something caught my eye.

[​IMG]

Ok, thanks for showing me the stuff. I'm sure seeing the box would be enough though.

[​IMG]

Oh come on, I do not need to see the rear element at all...

[​IMG]

I REALLY hope that they didn't take the rear cap off.

Then I looked back to the first picture. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

19. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Haha, I'm sure it's fine. The rear lens is inset pretty far into the mount. They shouldn't have even opened it up though :)