1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Panasonic DFD Vs Olympus E-M5 Mk ii Autofocus

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Levster, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

Would I notice a difference between the autofocus of a Panasonic with DFD versus an Olympus E-M5 Mk ii? My lenses are the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 and the Panasonic 15mm f/1.7. I'm likely to pick up a Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.7 at some point, so I'll be using all Panasonic lenses on my Olympus. I mainly take photos of my kids so fast, accurate autofocus would be nice!

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I don't think this matters much. I think they all do pretty well. Have a look around the 9:30 mark in the Camera Store video:

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Do you shoot a lot of subjects where good C-AF is important? If so, then yes the DFD system would benefit you. If not, and you just use S-AF most of the time, then the OMD will be fine.

Also, the above video is of the E-M1, which has OSPDAF. PDAF greatly increases a camera's ability to track subjects better. The E-M5 II does not, as it is a CDAF-only system.

4. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    I just tried yesterday G7 and EM5II, and focus speed on the G7 is significantly faster. G7 (with 35-100 f4-5.6) focus speed blown me away, it was just insane. Even my GX7 feels very "slow" comparing to that which was really a surprise. EM5II is pretty fast anyway but comparing to DFD, well it can't compete.

• Like Like x 1
  5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    Even comparing with the GX7, the mkII is a tad slower(speaking of small central focus point, low light). But, the face/eye focus on the other side is better, and better implemented. It's not so easy to decide, imho.

6. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I quite like Panasonic's implementation, especially the little crosshairs that pop up and show you which eye it's trying to focus on.

7. amphibulous

amphibulous Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2015
    Didn't some guy who specializes in shooting humming birds and dragonflies post some shots from the GX8 a few days ago and say how impressed he was with the focusing speed? (His pictures are amazing, btw.)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    My experience with DFD is limited to the LX100 (which doesn't have a particularly powerful AF motor and doesn't change focus all that fast) is that the focus behaves like a SLR with PDAF. Even the EM-1, with the newest FW, and the 12-40/2.8, that can change focus very fast, using CDAF focuses through the point of greatest sharpness and then goes back to it. It winds up being slower to focus than the LX. The LX is also much better for BIF and airplanes, even though they are little more than specks.

I also have the 35-100/2.8 and although it can't change focus as fast as the 12-40/2.8, I think it would be excellent on a body with DFD.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1