1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Panasonic D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f-stops?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Geos, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Geos

Geos Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 12, 2013
    NYC
    I'm drooling over this lens but I'm wondering how the f-stop ring works since f-stops are electronically controlled on my Panny G3. Isn't there a conflict?

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Turn your G3 "on" to "shoot w/no lens" and aperture/focus become manual.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That only works for lenses with physical aperture and coupled focus rings. The Leica D Vario Elmarit is not such a lens.

To answer the OP, you can control aperture from the camera, the same was as with any other 4/3 or m4/3 lens. The aperture ring on the lens is linked to the actual aperture in the lens by software - I don't recall if the G3 supports it or not but if it does, it's simply a second means of changing the aperture.

Note however that is a 4/3 lens, and so needs a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter to use on your G3. While it is high quality optically, autofocus speed is quite slow (2-3 seconds). The lens is also fairly large.

if you're looking at fast standard zooms for 4/3, I'd also suggest considering the Olympus 14-54/2.8-3.5 II which is comparable in terms of quality, but substantially faster in terms of AF (though still not fast) and likely a fair amount less expensive as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.