Panasonic D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f-stops?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Geos, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Geos

Geos Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 12, 2013
    I'm drooling over this lens but I'm wondering how the f-stop ring works since f-stops are electronically controlled on my Panny G3. Isn't there a conflict?
  2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    Turn your G3 "on" to "shoot w/no lens" and aperture/focus become manual.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    That only works for lenses with physical aperture and coupled focus rings. The Leica D Vario Elmarit is not such a lens.

To answer the OP, you can control aperture from the camera, the same was as with any other 4/3 or m4/3 lens. The aperture ring on the lens is linked to the actual aperture in the lens by software - I don't recall if the G3 supports it or not but if it does, it's simply a second means of changing the aperture.

Note however that is a 4/3 lens, and so needs a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter to use on your G3. While it is high quality optically, autofocus speed is quite slow (2-3 seconds). The lens is also fairly large.

if you're looking at fast standard zooms for 4/3, I'd also suggest considering the Olympus 14-54/2.8-3.5 II which is comparable in terms of quality, but substantially faster in terms of AF (though still not fast) and likely a fair amount less expensive as well.