Panasonic Color

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, May 15, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7207308638/" title="_1000945.jpg by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7207308638_34de7c4e4f_b. "1024" height="683" alt="_1000945.jpg"></a>

I took this after reading about a photographer (I forget where) that was saying that they found JPEGs to be quite good with a certain film setting they had tried. I was pretty dubious but I figured it was worth a try. The flowers above are shot with that setting. Its an OOC JPEG. I was rather impressed with the results. Shot with a P14-45 1/500, ISO 160 @ f5.6

Settings:

CONTRAST -2
    SHARPNESS -2
    SATURATION -2
    NR -2

I also tweaked the AWB in camera

• Like Like x 8
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Uh, so which film mode is it?

3. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Oh, sorry...it's "MY FILM 1".

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Do you have one at the default setting, Standard, for comparison.

5. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    dixeyk,
    if i recall correctly the G2 has the "my film" mode feature.
    do you know if the g3 and gx1 have the feature as well?
    found the answer to this....

also, what tweak did you do to the AWB on the above photo?

6. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Which film mode is your MY FILM 1 based on?

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    JPEG quality was significantly improved in the 1.1 firmware update.

Still, GH2 JPEGs have some serious flaws. For example, yellows have a slight greenish tint that can not be fixed without ruining other colors.

8. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    So RAW is the way to go with GH2? That's okay; was planning to do that anyway. However, it would be nice to have a viable JPEG option for those camera to iPad to Facebook moments...

9. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    In my experience, every Panasonic camera has this problem.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/DMCGH2/ZDMCGH2hVFAI00160_colorerror.png

As you can see, yellows and oranges are too green, blues are too magenta and reds tend to drift towards orange.

10. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Correction here...I did not correct the AWB on the My Film 1 example...I corrected it on the Dynamic Film ones I shot

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7179690552/" title="Sentry by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7179690552_77edc5bc90_b. "683" height="1024" alt="Sentry"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/7179696640/" title="Alien by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 7179696640_d5b9d76edb_b. "1024" height="678" alt="Alien"></a>

Both with Olympus 45/1.8 at around 5.6 (if I remember correctly) OOC JPEGs. If I am planning to shoot JPEG I am pretty happy with these settings so far.

Settings:

Dynamic
    Contrast -1
    Sharpness +1
    Saturation +1
    NR -2

The AWB correction on these 2 notches left and down on the AWB

• Like Like x 5
  11. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    No idea. I'm just venturing a guess but I'd say that it's based on the STANDARD film setting.

12. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    RAW is the way to go but there are times where JPEG is more convenient so I am interested in trying to get the best out of it I can rather than just write it off. So far what I am finding is that if you tweak in the in-camera settings you can get pretty good color.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ttan98

ttan98 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    melbourne
    G2

Hi,

I did a lot of testing on my G2(not sure about GH2), the color on G2 is not right esp. the green colour from my JPG output right of the camera. What I did is

firstly, adjust the AWB,

4 notches to the left and 1 notch down from the central position.

secondly, adjust what film you like, I use vibrant, then adjust

contrast = -1
    sharpness = 0
    saturation = 0
    NR= -1

Try it you will be pleasantly surprised, the output is as close as I can get to Olympus colours. If you don't it you further adjust the contrast, sat, sharpness to your taste.

• Like Like x 4
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    Always looking for new stuff to try. Thanks:biggrin:

15. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    can you post a OOC sample, please?

16. Lumixy

Lumixy Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Funnily enough I read the complete user manual over the weekend and decided to do the same on my GX1. I'm liking the results Dixeyk. Going to follow the thread and looking forward to seeing some more results from you. :thumbup:

I must play around with this some more. I wasn't able to see the results from the weekend as I am currently having problems using Apple's Aperture with my camera files :mad: See link below:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f74/gx1-importing-raw-jpg-pairs-into-aperture-issues-25977/

17. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I have felt for a long time that the idea that Olympus color is so much better is a bit of an overstatement. I like default Olympus color but it struck me as odd that two cameras with the identical sensor could not produce colors that were at least close to one another.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The colors they produce are essentially identical... in RAW, that is.

Oly JPEGs are still unsurpassed and no amount of fiddling with the settings will help it. Panasonic's color science is simply not right, not to mention a very lousy noise reduction algorithm.

19. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I agree that RAW is identical but I am finding that with the right amount of tweaking the Panasonic JPEGs can be a lot better than they are at the default settings. I turn NR off. There are some times when I find that I want to shoot JPEGs or perhaps more accurately, RAW files aren't practical. Also, as nice as the Olympus JPEG colors are (and they are terrific even at default settings) I just haven't found the Olympus camera that gives me a better combination of handling and features than what I have (and I can't afford an OMD).

• Like Like x 1
  20. ttan98

ttan98 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2012
    melbourne
    Try it yourself it easy to make the adjustments. I have to search for my G2 images. I seldom use G2 any more because its high ISO images are quite bad. I am using NEX 5N instead most of the time. G2 is for good lights only.