Panasonic cameras: do they read the aperture of Voigtlander, eg 17.5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Ricoh, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Regarding the Voigtlander 17.5 on Panasonic bodies. I'd appreciate it if someone could advise if the camera reads the lens aperture setting.
    Thanks.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    It has no electrical contacts, so it can't read the aperture, or record it in the EXIF data, but the camera will measure the amount of light falling on the sensor and meter in Av or manual mode.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Thanks for the clarification.

It would be great for me if a medium wide lens was available (35mm equiv.) that transmitted the aperture setting to the camera, with proper manual focus - not fly by wire - and a reliable depth of field scale.

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I thought there was one vendor of MF lenses which does transmit FL and maybe aperture... Is it Samyang/Rokinon?

Barry

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    There's only one lens I can think of which can do so, the Tamron 300mm f/6.3.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    You might be happiest with the Olympus 17/1.8, which has a manual focus clutch that has positive stops on either end of the focus range and is damped. It's still fly by wire, but feels far more like a proper manual focus lens.

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Had a copy of the 17/1.8 but sold it when I acquired the 15/1.7. On balance I much prefer the lens based aperture ring.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Then I would say that you're out of luck, unfortunately. There is no such lens with manual focus and manual aperture that records EXIF data in the M4/3 system, nor any mirrorless system. The closest would be to use a Canon EF-mount Rokinon 35mm/1.4 with the AE chip and an electronic adapter on a Sony A7 body. But then you're looking at $900 and 850g of weight for the lens + adapter alone. Probably not your ideal situation.

9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's probably best Voigtlander doesn't add electronic contacts to their M43 line of MF lenses. I have two Voigtlander MF lenses for Nikon with cpu contacts, and neither lens properly transmits EXIF info to the camera. I heard this is rather common with Voigtlander regarding their lens CPU contacts.