Panasonic bulb mode limitations

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Agent K, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I have a GH2 and am interested in astrophotography which can require exposures for several minutes. But the GH2 is limited to 120 sec. in bulb mode.
    What I don't understand is that you can record half an hour or more of video, but can only take a picture for 2 minutes. Can anyone please explain the reasoning behind this?
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    No idea but it drives me nuts as well. Thankfully the new OMD doesn't have this limitation and it has a live bulb mode.

3. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    really? that's strange, cause G1 can do around 4 minutes in bulb.
  4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Have you looked into hacking your GH2? I'm not sure, but you may be able to lift that restriction.
  5. I have tried looking into the hacks, but they all seem to do with shooting video. Thanks for the tip though, I will keep an eye out for any new ones coming out.
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Perhaps you should look into one of those $20 or $30 dollar remote shutter devices....I'd it has a lock shutter button like mine, you should be able to expose for as long as the battery will allow.

Small investment for something that's pretty handy to have anyway.
  7. Thanks for the idea, but already have one. The camera automatically cuts it at roughly 120-128 seconds. I have contacted Panasonic about this, and am having it suggested for the next firmware update. For the GH2 at least. If more Panasonic owners made the suggestion to tech support for all models that are limited, it may become a reality.