Panasonic body question, i.e. flash.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rklepper, Jun 16, 2013.

1. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    So if I purchase a Panasonic body will the same Olympus flash work? Or is the interchangeability only for lenses?

Thanks

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
  3. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Cool, thanks. That makes the decision much easier.

4. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    While yes is a correct answer, in my experience there are some hassles with using Olympus flash units on Panasonic cameras. Every time I used my Olympus flash on my GF1 it was a real pain removing the flash from the camera (to the point I was worried about breaking the flash trying to get it off the camera).

See if you can try the flash on the camera before buying.

5. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    ^??? The hotshoe is standard. There shouldn't be any difficulty removing a flash from the camera, regardless of the brand of either.

6. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    While the flashes are compatible, I tried an Olympus 600 flash on my G5 and found it very inconsistent, not to mention slow to recycle and overall difficult to operate. My buddy bought a Metz 50 for his GH3 and had the same issues with inconsistency, but the flash controls operated much better, FWIW.

I'm getting the best results from old-school Vivitar 283's in AUTO mode, and find I have less poor exposures as a result.

7. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Using an FL-50 on my G3 without any issues. Completely compatible and works fine--TTL, 2nd curtain, HSS (FP), etc. The main difference between Panasonic and Olympus, however, is that Panasonic doesn't have any wireless flash control. So if you were planning on using RC mode, you have to stick with an Olympus body.

8. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I have very good experince with Olympus FL-36r connected to Panasonic GF2 or G3. Except wirelles control it is working smoothly as full featured flash with additional external controls for easy adjust.

9. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Are you using the vivitars on the camera, or remotely?

10. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I use my Vivitar on a bracket, with modifiers like a Demb Flip-It, plugged into a Wein SafeSync on the hot shoe.