1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Panasonic Bodies (G5) and Eye-fi cards.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DeoreDX, Jun 28, 2013.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I like to use the EyeFi when on vacation as I use it to transfer the jpeg to my phone where I can post process and upload to sharing services. But I don't want to have the EyeFi on constantly, the battery life on my mu43 bodies is already well short of what I am accustomed too with my SLRs.

With my Olympus bodies there is a setting to turn the EyeFi off. I browsed through the Panasonic menues several times and didn't see anything like that off hand. Anyone use an Eyefi with a G5? If you can't turn the EyeFi off how great is the hit on your battery life?

2. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I have a G3 and an Eye-fi, not a G5, but I think things are pretty similar. The Panasonic cameras are not eye-fi enabled, so there is no way to turn the eye-fi off. It will be on all the time your camera is on. My batteries do seem to run down pretty quickly, but I also use the eye-fi to transfer RAW files to my PC, and use the cards at home extensively so that I don't always need to swap cards around.

3. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

A bit related, but would competing models(like from Transcend) also be lacking the wifi off menu option on Panasonic cameras also?

4. tasdisr

tasdisr Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 24, 2013
    I don't know about the wifi menu off option, but Transcend's website lists fhere cards as compatible with the G5, except for the two notes below.

From the Transcend website;

Continuous shooting or video recording while Wi-Fi is turned on may cause errors to the cameras. Please turn-off Wi-Fi when continuous shooting or video recording

Wi-Fi will be disconnected while the camera is in continuous shooting mode or video recording mode

5. battleaxe

Interesting. I take it would be the same thing for the other Panasonic models like the GF3?

6. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I have a GF3 and an Eye-Fi, and I haven't seen any menus to turn off the card's wifi. However, the Eye-Fi card has power settings you can adjust if you connect it to a computer. You can set it to turn off after a minute, so you're not constantly using power.

7. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I am pretty sure the Toshiba card has a physical switch which lets you turn the wifi on and off.

8. battleaxe

Which toshiba model would that be?

9. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    From the FAQ

Can I turn on/off the wireless LAN transmission of the FlashAir™ manually?

There are 3 Options to influence the wlan on/off status

The wlan of the FlashAir™ is always started whenever it gets power from the camera. It may turn off when it is unused after a time you can define in the settings of the card.

You can configure the FlashAir™ to react on the status of a dedicated picture on the Card. This requires the camera to be able block/unblock pictures in the viewer screen. On every FlashAir™ SD Card sold in the market there is a pre-loaded small picture. If you use the camera menu and block this picture, the wlan function of the FlashAir will turn off. If you unblock it again, the wlan function will turn on again.

In the menu of the camera there is a menu point to set the wlan function on and off. This requires that the camera vendor implemented this functionality in the software of the camera menu. First cameras offering this feature are to be expected within second half of 2012.

see FlashAir™ - Frequently Asked Questions - Toshiba Semiconductor & Storage Products Company

Seaain